Chaos Corona for 3ds Max > [Max] I need help!

Lot of noise when reflection/refraction override is enabled

(1/2) > >>

Bzuco:
Hi, when reflection/refraction override(black/gray/white color or tonemapped jpeg) in scene settings is enabled, masive noise is apearing using corona 6/7 latest daily. Corona 5 without issue.
Noise is visible in Direct render element, Indirect is very clean. Increasing LSM has almost no affect.
I am using only corona sky(Hosek Wilkie) in scene environment as a light source.
Tested 32s render, adaptivity off, UHD cache, GIvsAA 4, LSM 4, MSI 4, High.clamp 0, adapt. light off, random sampler new improved. Corona5 with portals, for corona6/7 no portals and env.sampler changed to adaptive.
Renders in corona 7 identical with 6.
Scene in attachment.

Any workaround? Similar issue mentioned @cecofuli in this topic https://forum.corona-renderer.com/index.php?topic=27953.msg170860#msg170860
THX.

Avi:
Hi,

I tested your scene attached. Your interior room is about 32 meters high. If you will fix and work on a real-world scale. Most of the problems would already be fixed. Here is a rendering time of 20 passes for before and after rescaling the scene on a real-world scale.

https://bit.ly/2R1RcOH

Let me know if fixing the scale of your scene to real-world speed up your rendering & noise is cleaned much faster & better.

Bzuco:
Hi, thank you for reply.

Hmm where did you find the wrong scale? I checked dimensions on every object and they are same(utility - measure  = object properties - general tab.) My system unit setup is 1 Unit = 1milimeter.

I also created just box with fliped polygons with one hole as window and the same issue - after enabling reflection/refraction override  the noise has increased in corona6+. Left and right render both 30s.

I also deleted the ENU folder to be sure that some script is not causing this issue...

Avi:
Hi,

Ok, I understand. My 3dsmax was set to CM. but I ran the same test again on your scene by resetting all Renderer settings & lighting the scene by the default value of Corona sun & sky.

I do see some subtle difference in noise but not as much as I see it in your render which you attached above. Here is the comparison for your review : -
https://corona-renderer.com/comparer/3dXvDH

Noise when Override is off - 6.67%
Total pass rendered - 20/20
Time: 3:11

Noise when Override is On - 8.77%
Total pass rendered - 20/20
Time: 2:36

When Override is on, Rendering also went faster thus a subtle increase in noise. If you let it run till 3:11 then both noise levels would be approx the same.

Bzuco:
So now it is more clear. The main diference is, that I mostly do cloudy day renders without sun or additional interior light. That's why I came across this noise problem when refl./refr. override is enabled. This scenario is not so common and I am assuming that optimization in rendering process in corona 6/7 was targeted for more common scenario(sun + sky)...therefore I see masive noise increase in direct light  render element.
Can be this considered as a bug or a simply unwanted regression in visual noise level in corona 6/7?

For now I will stay with corona 5, I am occasional "designer" (just few renders per year) so this is not something critical for me. Should I drop some report in bug section, or is this topic enough for devs to take a more indepth look?
Thank you again. ;-)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version