Author Topic: [solved] Wet poolside decking help  (Read 5162 times)

2021-03-06, 20:03:18
Reply #15

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
Here's the file for Corona 6. I didn't bother to add clearcoat layer to the boards, so result will be slightly different, but that's not the point.
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2021-03-07, 10:47:36
Reply #16

asdecret

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hello Romullus,

Thanks so much for the file.
I had to recreate the footprint scatter not sure why but no worries.
I replaced the texture maps and did obtain a similar results.
But when i checked the caustics in the water material I obtained a very dark version as you can see on the attached file.
Not sure why that is?  Would you know?

Thanks so much

Alex

2021-03-07, 10:49:18
Reply #17

asdecret

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Sorry forgot to ask this, what is the use of the box 1 in the file?
Thanks again

2021-03-07, 11:28:33
Reply #18

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My Models
For the first few passes caustics are always are very dark. You need to wait for more passes when caustics solution gets more refined, they should get significantly brighter. Another thing is that my water material is unrealistically darkened and tuned for rendering without caustics. If you want to use caustics, you need to click on colour swatch bext to refraction and set its colour to pure white. And finally make sure that you've enabled caustics in water material, as well as in render setup>performance tab. You can uncheck "generate caustics from enviroment" if you want faster rendering, or leave it checked on if you want more accurate result.

P.S. at the moment caustics doesn't work well with region render, so unfortunatelly you need to render full image to get accurate results.
P.P.S. box is just a light blocker to prevent light leakage through one sided floor mesh. It's has no significant importance in the scene.

2021-03-12, 14:29:20
Reply #19

asdecret

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hello Romullus,

sorry for the late feedback and results but finally got around to it.
So I modified the water material to pure white in the refraction and checked caustics in both the water material and the performance tab.
For the purpose of this I am lighting the scene with a HDRI in the 3ds max enviro slot.
Nevertheless after 25 passes the footprints are still quite dark so not sure where to go from here.  The issue I guess must be from the water material because as soon as its caustics is checked it darkens dramatically the footprints.
I also did a test with the planks isolated and it rendererd lighter and the cautics element was brighther as should be expected.
Anyways if you have any last wisdom it would be welcome.

Thanks and have a nice day

Alex

2021-03-12, 14:49:54
Reply #20

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My Models
I don't have experience with caustics, but i see that others complains that Corona caustics are working bad in bigger scenes. It's possible that this can be improved by adjusting some parameters in render settings, but as i said, i have no experience with that and can't advise you anything useful. I suggest you to think about turning off caustics for footprints and instead go with slightly darkened refraction, like in my example scene. This should render much faster and result probably won't be much different thank with working caustics.

2021-03-13, 14:21:52
Reply #21

asdecret

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thans for your help this is exactly what I will do.

have a nice week end

Alex