Author Topic: [solved] Wet poolside decking help  (Read 5129 times)

2021-01-06, 18:08:23

RebelSaffa

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I'm trying to create the effect of wet foot prints on the poolside deck.
I've seen a few examples of puddles, but as I'm using floor generator for the decking, how would i go about combining a randomized textured floor with a pretty precise footprint path and water splashes.
Any info on this or where i can find alphas would be appreciated.
« Last Edit: 2021-01-12, 11:22:49 by maru »

2021-01-06, 19:21:34
Reply #1

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
3ds Max supports up to 99 mapping channels. You can use map channel 1 for floor boards and map channel 2 for footprints.
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2021-01-09, 15:49:25
Reply #2

RebelSaffa

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thanks Romullus

2021-03-04, 21:46:26
Reply #3

asdecret

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hello Romulus,

In reading your answer how would you set up the material and mapping channels are new to me.
One material for the wood and another for the wet footprints.
I am not sure how to go about this.
In the past  I scattered a wet footprint along a spline.  The only downfall with this is that it does not darken the wood plank underneath.
Hope it makes sense.

Thanks
alex

2021-03-04, 22:38:32
Reply #4

mferster

• Active Users
    • View Profile
The boards are mapped individually and would be on uv channel 1 while at the same time you apply a planar map to all the boards as a whole with uvchannel 2.

Your woodboard texture would have  a diffuse map that uses a coronamix map to darken the area where the foot prints are.
you set the mix map to use channel 2 in its bitmap settings  and the base layer slot would use your regular wood texture.

see attached

2021-03-05, 19:21:19
Reply #5

asdecret

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hello there,

Thanks so much, I will give this a try and let you know.

Thanks again

Alex:

PS: I see you used substract in corona mix, but lets say you wanted the footprints to be looking like water and also darken the wood, how would you apply a wet material to the footprints and make the wood darker.

2021-03-05, 19:56:09
Reply #6

mferster

• Active Users
    • View Profile
You would use the same technique for the reflection and reflection glossiness map slots. In that case instead of having a black top layer you would have a white top layer, and use a screen blend mode. That way the foot prints would be highly reflective and glossy

2021-03-06, 10:35:09
Reply #7

asdecret

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Great Thanks a lot I will give this a try asap and post a test.

Thanks again

2021-03-06, 12:29:44
Reply #8

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My Models
Here's my quick and dirty setup. It's far from perfect, but might work in some situations. I tried couple variants, with and without caustics. I don't like how puddles without caustics are almost invisible, especially near the right angles, but i feel that with caustics they are getting darkened a bit too much and it renders so muuuch slower. I think that you could get better result with caustics if you would use proper displacement maps and not my crude CoronaDistance hack, but i have no time to test it.

The scene requires floor generator plugin, which is free and Corona 7 daily build. The latter requirement is not mandatory for the scene, it's just that what was installed at the moment and i wanted to familiarise myself with new features in Corona.

P.S. floor boards textures are not included with the scene, you will have to replace them with your own assets.

2021-03-06, 15:51:49
Reply #9

asdecret

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hello everyone here is my attempts
1. using a mix map with channel 1 for wood and channel 2 for footprints.  The mix map has a composite into color 2 the wood multimap into 1 and the footprint map alpha in the mix amount.  This works but no reflection.
2. my attempt for reflection with a footprint being scattered .  But not very good b/c it doesn not darken the wood.

Romullus any chance you could repost your attempt in 2014, I could not reproduce your scene or utilize it correctly.  I wanted to give it a shot.

Thanks so much

2021-03-06, 15:58:13
Reply #10

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My Models
Sure, i will upload file compatible with max 2013 soon. My setup doesn't use second UV mapping channel, since i went with more lazy Corona distance route, but nothing prevents you from getting the same result with texture mapped footprints and multiple UV channels.

Edit: attached the file.
« Last Edit: 2021-03-06, 16:07:19 by romullus »

2021-03-06, 16:21:52
Reply #11

asdecret

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thanks going to try your scene.
I tried the multi uv channel routes with a footprint mask mapped on channel 2 but cant wrap my head around on the set up to both darken an have the reflective appearance of water

Alex

2021-03-06, 16:48:29
Reply #12

asdecret

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Sorry Romullus I forgot to mention I dont have corona 7.
In your material setup which ones go to which objects, as you see I am not sure see attached files.

Thanks

2021-03-06, 16:55:48
Reply #13

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My Models
It seems that material names has changed for some reason. I'm not sure what would be easier - trying to explain what map to plug into what material, or just re-create the scene with Corona 6 :] I think i'll choose the second option. I will upload new scene sometime later.

2021-03-06, 17:10:18
Reply #14

asdecret

• Active Users
    • View Profile