Author Topic: Translucency  (Read 14648 times)

2014-01-28, 21:41:55

Utroll

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I'm a bit surprised as I thought that a black value in translucency slot means no translucency and while checking it appeared false.
Or is there something I'm missing ?

2014-01-29, 04:05:24
Reply #1

Chakib

• Active Users
  • Corona Omnomnomer !
    • View Profile
yeah, the actual translucensy option is added  to fake it , wait for real sss.

2014-01-29, 10:36:51
Reply #2

Utroll

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I understood that, but it is not bad option neither as it's probably cpu friendly. Just cannot understand that behaviour not to interpret black value as no translucency, would be convenient to affect a material in just some part.
Vray SSS or double sided material are coexisting.

But if that parameter is to be deprecated then of course...
Thanks for your answer though

2014-01-29, 10:55:47
Reply #3

Ludvik Koutny

• VIP
  • Active Users
  • Just another user
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
I fail to see anything wrong with this behavior. It looks exactly as it should...

2014-01-29, 11:01:10
Reply #4

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Translucency is not a fake implementation of some other feature. It is different than SSS. The black/white/green whatever you set is a COLOUR value for transucency, the other value is fraction. If you set translucency colour to black, then black colour will blend with diffuse. At least that's how I understand it.

If darker translucency colour would mean less translucency fraction, then how would you make a very translucent material that is dark?
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2014-01-29, 11:48:43
Reply #5

Utroll

• Active Users
    • View Profile
As I understand it translucency report the amount of light on a side to the opposite, that's the purpose of it right ? Being light sensitive.

Where I cannot get it is why a black value should be passed to it ? To answer to your question Maru I would say by having a black DIFFUSE in first place, I cannot figure out any material which is bright in first place and become darker from light hitting it. But may be I do not figure properly the use of it. For me the color makes sense but the luminosity of the map determins the amount of the effect.

I'm trying to achieve the effect below but even a with an alpha I could not achieve it (or I forgot some ticks somewhere in bitmap node)
« Last Edit: 2014-01-29, 11:55:13 by Utroll »

2014-01-29, 12:01:01
Reply #6

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
Translucency is working correctly, we just need fraction value to be mappable.
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2014-01-29, 12:22:53
Reply #7

Utroll

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Translucency is working correctly, we just need fraction value to be mappable.

Ok.. I see.
Thought it works like reflection where you don't need one map for the quantity and another one for the color. Using reflection 1 with black color doesn't give a 'black' reflection. As intended to 'add' something I thought the translucency works on a same logic.

2014-03-06, 12:11:25
Reply #8

kengkange

• Active Users
    • View Profile
thanks.