Author Topic: Arnold trial available for download  (Read 14332 times)

2014-01-17, 11:42:19

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
I don't intend to advertise Corona's competitors but this news is just insane...

https://www.solidangle.com/arnold/try/
« Last Edit: 2014-01-17, 15:09:10 by maru »
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2014-01-17, 11:47:12
Reply #1

Ludvik Koutny

• VIP
  • Active Users
  • Just another user
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
I don't intend to advertise Corona's competitors but this news is just insane...

I don't find it insane... they finally have a website, that is all :) It would be insane if it launched with 3ds Max plugin as well... but it's just Maya and Softimage. Everyone knew that already :)

2014-01-17, 11:52:23
Reply #2

racoonart

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • racoon-artworks
For permanent license sales there is a minimum order of 5. We will soon lift this restriction.

You must buy 5 seats atm to get permanent licences - that's what I call insane :D
But besides that, I don't expect a max plugin anywhere soon. Max is "just" archviz soft (ask autodesk!) and Arnold doesn't seem to be the best choice for that kind of stuff - so, no worries ;)
Any sufficiently advanced bug is indistinguishable from a feature.

2014-01-17, 11:53:10
Reply #3

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
This means I'm late. :)

I thought Solid Angle's website always consisted only of a logo with some short info and Arnold was like a top secret project never visible to anyone. Yeah, no plugin for max, this sucks but it I'll probably download educational Maya or Softimage just to try it.
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2014-01-17, 13:03:44
Reply #4

Ludvik Koutny

• VIP
  • Active Users
  • Just another user
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
Gotta say that Star Trek Into Darkness was one damn good archviz demoreel :D

2014-01-17, 13:14:50
Reply #5

Richy

• Active Users
    • View Profile

I don't find it insane... they finally have a website, that is all :) It would be insane if it launched with 3ds Max plugin as well... but it's just Maya and Softimage. Everyone knew that already :)

unofficial SolidAngle Arnold for Autodesk 3ds max
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=183&t=1111777&page=1&pp=15

2014-01-17, 13:16:53
Reply #6

Ludvik Koutny

• VIP
  • Active Users
  • Just another user
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
Exporter and fully integrated plugin are two quite different things ;)

2014-01-17, 14:06:42
Reply #7

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
I think it's pretty insane as well, considering their previous marketing and bussiness form was close to excellent. The mystery and private direct communication and service.. pretty exclusive vibe, I liked that.
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2014-01-17, 14:36:03
Reply #8

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
I think it's pretty insane as well, considering their previous marketing and bussiness form was close to excellent. The mystery and private direct communication and service.. pretty exclusive vibe, I liked that.

This is just what you think because you are not seeing the entire picture - that arnold is primarily huge film production renderer. When you have 10 potential customers, there is no need to do a web, you just send your guys over in person.
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2014-01-17, 19:10:42
Reply #9

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Isn't that bit black&white view ? They made it big in some of the largest VFX studios, but those aren't their only customers by any means. I know of 2 studios personally in Bratislava alone who have licenced it. I think in recent 2 years they've outgrown their original clientele, as illustrated by discussion on cgtalk.
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models

2014-01-17, 19:31:59
Reply #10

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
I think in recent 2 years they've outgrown their original clientele

yes - so they made the web. I just think it was not their intent to hold off creating a web to make some sort of underground-cool-inviteonly-apple feel.
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2014-01-17, 19:37:29
Reply #11

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
I think in recent 2 years they've outgrown their original clientele

yes - so they made the web. I just think it was not their intent to hold off creating a web to make some sort of underground-cool-inviteonly-apple feel.

Ah I see what you now meant [but out of those buzzwords, my hint was mostly towards exclusive as in high-end, not underground or cool, as in, small licencees will feel they
are getting much better tools/deal then they could anticipate]. No, I don't think it was the main intent at all either but they were well aware of how this is perceived and part of it was intentional,
despite Fajardo claiming in every interview it's in spite of focusing solely on existing clientele. I think I could find again some source where he mentions their
marketing strategy, which does exist, and it's not purely build upon solely delivering high-quality product, they aren't that utilitarian and it would be very short-sighted.

Anyway, browsed a bit the web, interesting to see this:

"For permanent license sales there is a minimum order of 5. We will soon lift this restriction."
« Last Edit: 2014-01-17, 19:49:04 by Juraj_Talcik »

2014-01-18, 00:32:26
Reply #12

tungee

• Active Users
    • View Profile
So what? The gallery of Arnold is of average quality, sorry...
Not 1 picture kicked me!
New Coronoid

2014-01-18, 00:48:35
Reply #13

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Not 1 picture kicked me!

i dont even....

2014-01-18, 08:45:33
Reply #14

Polymax

• Active Users
  • CG Generalist
    • View Profile
    • maxkagirov.com
Not 1 picture kicked me!
Arnold very very good render and very flexible, but if Corona will support things like particles, Fluid, Atmosphere effects ect... and at the same speed, it will be definitely better.
Corona - the best rendering solution!