Author Topic: Corona Randomizer  (Read 11046 times)

2023-11-18, 18:47:02
Reply #15

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
No, not really, 3ds Max 2024 allows to save user defaults for most controls, so that's not an issue anymore. I think it will be better if you keep the script simple.
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2023-11-18, 19:43:24
Reply #16

James Vella

• Active Users
    • View Profile
That works for me :)

2023-11-19, 10:02:16
Reply #17

Tom

• Active Users
    • View Profile
In case of randomizer, make sure to uncheck HQ blending, unless you really need it - this feature makes blending look much better, but has significant performance cost.

Thanks for the tip.

2023-11-20, 03:09:25
Reply #18

marchik

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Ok updated to include both Mapping Randomizer and Triplanar. Let me know if you encounter bugs/issues.

This is absolutely amazing and will save me a ton of time.
Thank you very much for your time and for making the script freely available.

Will it be okay if I make a post about it in my Telegram channel indicating your authorship and attach the script itself so that more people can use it?

PS the only thing I would love to have  a checkbox, when clicked it would create a  map with parameters:
U | X   -1   1
V | Y   -1   1
W | Z   0   360
randomize each tile - on

and if the checkbox was not pressed, a regular map with default parameters would be created, as it is now.
« Last Edit: 2023-11-20, 03:29:11 by marchik »

2023-11-20, 09:37:50
Reply #19

James Vella

• Active Users
    • View Profile
This is absolutely amazing and will save me a ton of time.
Thank you very much for your time and for making the script freely available.

Will it be okay if I make a post about it in my Telegram channel indicating your authorship and attach the script itself so that more people can use it?

Youre welcome. Yes sure you can post it anywhere you like.

PS the only thing I would love to have  a checkbox, when clicked it would create a  map with parameters:
U | X   -1   1
V | Y   -1   1
W | Z   0   360
randomize each tile - on

and if the checkbox was not pressed, a regular map with default parameters would be created, as it is now.

I was thinking maybe I should create the checkboxes and a button for a preset save/load. This way you can load your favourite setups and then just re-use them.

Having a button would obviously be easier so if thats a common request (those same settings) I can just include it as a checkbox instead.
« Last Edit: 2023-11-20, 09:54:57 by James Vella »

2023-11-20, 10:18:14
Reply #20

Tom

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I was thinking maybe I should create the checkboxes and a button for a preset save/load. This way you can load your favourite setups and then just re-use them.

That would be awesome.

2023-11-20, 22:01:16
Reply #21

marchik

• Active Users
    • View Profile

That would be awesome.
+1

No, not really, 3ds Max 2024 allows to save user defaults for most controls, so that's not an issue anymore. I think it will be better if you keep the script simple.

Can you please explain in more detail, I can’t fully understand

2023-11-20, 22:46:27
Reply #22

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My Models
Can you please explain in more detail, I can’t fully understand

Since Max 2024.1 you can right-click on most controls in Max UI and choose "set as new default". You can customize default values in any way you want, for example, make that new Corona material would be in metal mode, or have roughness of 0.3, or chamfer modifier would have 12.375 amount by default. Very handy feature.

https://help.autodesk.com/view/3DSMAX/2024/ENU/?guid=GUID-04D99FD0-33D4-425C-BBAD-63E44A98AE5F

2023-11-21, 09:05:18
Reply #23

James Vella

• Active Users
    • View Profile

Since Max 2024.1 you can right-click on most controls in Max UI and choose "set as new default". You can customize default values in any way you want, for example, make that new Corona material would be in metal mode, or have roughness of 0.3, or chamfer modifier would have 12.375 amount by default. Very handy feature.

https://help.autodesk.com/view/3DSMAX/2024/ENU/?guid=GUID-04D99FD0-33D4-425C-BBAD-63E44A98AE5F

Wow! Thats an amazing update. I had no idea, this is a huge time saver!

Let me know if this solves your issues guys. The update including every component of the randomizer/triplanar could take awhile, however this seems like a very simple solution since the functionality I was going to put in is basically the same as what romullus just mentioned.
« Last Edit: 2023-11-21, 11:11:39 by James Vella »

2023-11-21, 18:47:02
Reply #24

marchik

• Active Users
    • View Profile

Wow! Thats an amazing update. I had no idea, this is a huge time saver!

Let me know if this solves your issues guys. The update including every component of the randomizer/triplanar could take awhile, however this seems like a very simple solution since the functionality I was going to put in is basically the same as what romullus just mentioned.

as for me, I mainly use version 22 of 3ds max, so adding those parameters that I wrote about would be desirable, but I'm going to switch to 24 soon and I checked and the feature that romullus described works perfectly with the script, so there is no need to spend extra effort, let the script remain as simple as possible)

2023-11-21, 19:09:43
Reply #25

James Vella

• Active Users
    • View Profile
but I'm going to switch to 24 soon and I checked and the feature that romullus described works perfectly with the script, so there is no need to spend extra effort, let the script remain as simple as possible)

Yeah I tested it when romullus mentioned it, it works as expected. I was already building it all in but I think Ill revert back to this version since now that 2024.2 includes this feature its definately worth using over a very complicated update to this script. Personally I dont mind doing it since Im just seeing how far I can push things in maxscript but the functionality is there now and its super useful!

2023-11-21, 19:32:29
Reply #26

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My Models
To be fair, user defaults, as useful as they are, can only have one state. The script, on the other hand, can be made to be much more flexible. Personally for me the sweet spot between flexibility and simplicity could be single checkbox stochastic mapping, when OFF, it would load randomizer with default settings, when ON, it would load it with marchik's suggested settings.

2023-11-21, 20:12:26
Reply #27

marchik

• Active Users
    • View Profile
To be fair, user defaults, as useful as they are, can only have one state. The script, on the other hand, can be made to be much more flexible. Personally for me the sweet spot between flexibility and simplicity could be single checkbox stochastic mapping, when OFF, it would load randomizer with default settings, when ON, it would load it with marchik's suggested settings.
yes, that's a great idea, although I generally only add a randomizer if I need stochastic tiling

2023-11-21, 20:40:15
Reply #28

James Vella

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Can you please supply a screenshot of the exact outcome of each setting you guys are talking about as a checkbox? This would be far easier for me to understand.

FYI When scripting things its extremely easy to go entirely in the wrong direction and waste a lot of time without some use cases/examples. What I mean by this is you can change 1 tiny little thing and the whole functionality can change for something entirely different, the more specific the easier it is to design.

2023-11-21, 21:19:34
Reply #29

marchik

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Can you please supply a screenshot of the exact outcome of each setting you guys are talking about as a checkbox? This would be far easier for me to understand.

FYI When scripting things its extremely easy to go entirely in the wrong direction and waste a lot of time without some use cases/examples. What I mean by this is you can change 1 tiny little thing and the whole functionality can change for something entirely different, the more specific the easier it is to design.

i believe something like this

One more thing, I was wondering, is it really necessary to have a selected object with the material applied? Is it possible to implement the use of a script with selected material that is not assigned to any object?
« Last Edit: 2023-11-21, 21:25:30 by marchik »