Chaos Corona for 3ds Max > [Max] Resolved Feature Requests

Distance Map Inside Color issue

(1/5) > >>

peakyfreak80:
There seems to be a problem when using overlapping geometry and the CoronaDistance Map.  Where it overlaps, you get triangles of the "far" color.  Could anyone help with figuring out why this is happening and if there's a solution?

Images attached of the viewport geometry, settings, and the rendering.

pokoy:
Sometimes, adding a chamfer modifier to the distance object helps with similar problems in the Distance Map. I've seen problems that were caused by overlapping meshes that I couldn't resolve, though. You may have to remodel overlapping objects to be one continuous geometry (or use boolean), this should help.

The Distance Map has a number of issues, this is only one of them. I'm planning to post an extensive problems/request thread about this map with the intention to get our beloved developers to make it more robust and flexible but didn't have the time to do so. Hopefully soon.

peakyfreak80:
Thanks, Pokoy.  I'll try the chamfer trick.  Unfortunately, the real geo I'm using is all procedural (a.k.a Railclone) so turning it into one piece of booleaned geometry wouldn't really be possible.

pokoy:
Yeah, it's really frustrating. The Distance Map is a godsend when (ab)using it for road marks, unfortunately it's one of the cases where it reliably fails... Hope it can be fixed.

peakyfreak80:
So I wasn't able to really 'solve' this problem and had to come up with a work around.  It does appear that it only happens when you have the "Inside Color" checked.  with that unchecked, anything that overlaps works exactly how you'd expect it to. Seems like a bug in the shader.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version