Author Topic: Vray 3.0 open beta  (Read 32944 times)

2013-09-05, 12:28:57
Reply #15

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Hm.... I'm not sure what this actually means but Vlado wrote this in the chaosgroup forums vray 3.0 beta thread

I'll put it this way (and it's painful to have to say it): we are not in a position to be able support free unlimited rendering in any form or shape anymore after the release of 3.0

Best regards,
Vlado

Maybe this might have something to do with commercial render-farms ? Or some pretty big studios abusing the licence model ? Just wild guess.

Anyway, it's very decent price for enthusiasts, and for professional studios, who really use upward of 10+ nodes, the price is good too. Hell, single picture will buy you 10+ nodes.
If someone should burn for price licencing, it's AutoDesk...

On professional entertainment level, they will compete with Arnold, which doesn't even differentiate between workstation/node model. And it costs way bit more, it's just that Vray enthuasiast users were spoiled by their overly generous past politics. It's hard to change without angering previous customers but I am pretty sure they know what they're doing.
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2013-09-05, 13:15:51
Reply #16

racoonart

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • racoon-artworks
it's just that Vray enthuasiast users were spoiled by their overly generous past politics. It's hard to change without angering previous customers but I am pretty sure they know what they're doing.

Yes, that's pretty much the point. I've bought a private license for home use and I was accustomed to using it with my old machines - which I can't do anymore now - it would cost me another 500 euro to do it again (which is a bit over the top for my budget). I'm pretty sure they knew exactly that the price change would anger a lot of people but hey.. let's face it, everyone will upgrade sooner or later. You can't keep using an old version forever.
I'm more concerned about the fact that it sounds a bit like "we don't want to but we need to do it or we will be fucked very soon".
I'm very quickly in joining a good rant but I've also been using Vray for more than a decade and many years as a professional (still doing it today) and it's a good, reliable and stable piece of software - way more than most of the other stuff I'm using. So, despite the fact that this move was not a quite clever one I'll be still dependent on this renderer for a while.
Any sufficiently advanced bug is indistinguishable from a feature.

2013-09-05, 13:23:02
Reply #17

Ludvik Koutny

• VIP
  • Active Users
  • Just another user
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
I think they can afford it. The minority of users they will lose will be compensated (most probably even overcompensated) by income from upgrade and node licence sales. There is way too many people/studios dependent on Vray and if you manage to cut down both rendertimes and times artists need to tweak scene layout/shaders/lighting, the upgrade is going to pay off very quickly.

I am happy for this, that there is some competition going on at least on renderer field, unlike DCC software field. I am happy that Vray is now faster and easier to use, I am also happy they did some unpopular decisions which could turn more people to Corona, and i am also happy that Mental Ray is dead and it's corpse is stinky and rotting. Competition is always good...  always, and for everyone :)

2013-09-05, 14:33:40
Reply #18

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
I think they can afford it. The minority of users they will lose will be compensated (most probably even overcompensated) by income from upgrade and node licence sales. There is way too many people/studios dependent on Vray and if you manage to cut down both rendertimes and times artists need to tweak scene layout/shaders/lighting, the upgrade is going to pay off very quickly.

I am happy for this, that there is some competition going on at least on renderer field, unlike DCC software field. I am happy that Vray is now faster and easier to use, I am also happy they did some unpopular decisions which could turn more people to Corona, and i am also happy that Mental Ray is dead and it's corpse is stinky and rotting. Competition is always good...  always, and for everyone :)

Is that so :- DD Funny.

I also like the fact that so many renderers seem evolving now faster. Very very curious how this will go. Some renderers were moving so slow (Maxwell,Fryrender) I was pretty astounded people kept on using them when they lacked impossible amount of features (scattering..) that Corona happened to integrate within weeks what took years elsewhere. Vray 2 with its subsequent updates was nice, but just polishing, nothing revolutionary, until now. Arion/iRay/Octane are outside of my interested due to GPU, but I like their advancement.
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models

2013-09-05, 18:43:16
Reply #19

Polymax

• Active Users
  • CG Generalist
    • View Profile
    • maxkagirov.com
Vray 3.0 need to testing!!! While there is nothing to rejoice, bacause vray (2.4) shading core - very bad, and whether it was rewritten in Vray 3.0? And also that the same limitations, such as: Cutoff, RayDepth = 5, Clamping, SubPixel mapping ? If all of these restrictions are removed, will fast Vray 3.0?
« Last Edit: 2013-09-05, 19:29:23 by Polymax »
Corona - the best rendering solution!

2013-09-05, 19:16:54
Reply #20

lacilaci

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I'm somehow more curious about maxwell 3 than vray 3... They say.. simplified material editing and Great speed improvements... But only marketing move I see around it is that it will be a free update for newcomers that'll buy current version :D.. so, I guess we can't expect miracles there either... maybe.

2013-09-06, 11:53:31
Reply #21

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Vray 3.0 need to testing!!! While there is nothing to rejoice, bacause vray (2.4) shading core - very bad, and whether it was rewritten in Vray 3.0? And also that the same limitations, such as: Cutoff, RayDepth = 5, Clamping, SubPixel mapping ? If all of these restrictions are removed, will fast Vray 3.0?

How are they restrictions ? You can turn them on/off to speed up sampling at behalf of accuracy. It's just not advisable in every situation (super glossy interiors...)
But they will introduce MIS :- )

2013-09-19, 08:29:30
Reply #22

rafpug

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Good morning

Coronarenderer will be ' always on .... !
They can make version 3 4 5 6 7 vray Maxwell ... there is nothing for anyone.

Greats
Raf

2013-09-27, 07:17:38
Reply #23

andreholzmeister

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Well I belive that 5 render nodes per workstation license would be reasonable, just one is kind of a bad joke...
Arnold itself is a bad joke when coming to its nodes politics... people use it because there are not so many fast and reliable options out there, Corona seams to be a great player in a near future, just need to go to the popular entertainment packages such as maya too, then Arnold and Vray should be scared...

2013-09-27, 08:58:06
Reply #24

rafpug

• Active Users
    • View Profile
already '  ^_^

2013-10-29, 15:10:34
Reply #25

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
A hands-on preview of some new vray's features:

http://www.cgrecord.net/2013/10/v-ray-30-beta-review.html

Wouldn't it be cool to ask this guy to test Corona and post his observations? :)
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2013-10-29, 15:23:30
Reply #26

racoonart

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • racoon-artworks
Just had a look on the review and ... sorry, but this review is totally worthless. It seems he does not have a clue what he's actually doing.
Any sufficiently advanced bug is indistinguishable from a feature.

2013-10-30, 01:26:01
Reply #27

Chakib

• Active Users
  • Corona Omnomnomer !
    • View Profile
Just had a look on the review and ... sorry, but this review is totally worthless. It seems he does not have a clue what he's actually doing.

I've read in the review  " VRayHaitMtl ", so useful to make "Hait"...

emm... what is it mean first?

2013-10-30, 03:05:55
Reply #28

teknikarsitek

• Active Users
    • View Profile

I've read in the review  " VRayHaitMtl ", so useful to make "Hait"...

emm... what is it mean first?

maybe it means Hair .. with vray 3.0, makes easy for hair material .. IMHO .. but i am not vray user .. :p

2013-10-30, 04:21:36
Reply #29

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Well, if they labeled it "preview" instead of "review" it would be just fine for those who didn't come with 3.0 in contact yet.
Or do you guys find the examples that horrible ? If so, I have to warn you that examples used by Vlado at Venice were almost there.
"Ok..you see, it's faster, but also bit more noisy". Well, cool.

I had sligh chuckle at "Chinese, currently working at Al Jazeera network". Very global industry :- )