Author Topic: Corona C4D and 3990x  (Read 4394 times)

2020-04-27, 16:53:57

Nejc Kilar

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My personal website
Hello folks,

So I've been trying to hunt down users that use Cinema 4D and Corona and are sporting the AMD 3990x CPU. I'm having a hard time finding anyone with that config so I've decided to ask here as well, maybe we'll get lucky :)

The reason why I'm searching for 3990x users is because I am using 2S Xeon 2669v3 CPUs and I'm finding there are some Corona specific issues with either a 2S configuration (2 CPUs on one motherboard), 2x NUMA nodes or a high thread amount (64+). The 3990x is a CPU that I'm eyeing a bit and so I'm wondering if we can get any users to report how things are working for them.

I'm specifically referring to issues like bump maps acting weird on what seems to be 2S / Numa nodes, some threading issues and stuff like that.

So yeah, I'd kindly like to ask so you raise your hand if you are sporting the 3990x :) Would be much appreciated! :)
Nejc Kilar | chaos-corona.com
Educational Content Creator | contact us

2020-04-28, 01:37:00
Reply #1

MARDUK

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Do you ask about the quality of AMD
As if you are asking about the difference between heaven and earth
There is no comparison between AMD and Intel processors
I have a 1950x processor and it works great
Certainly the newest generation excels

2020-04-28, 16:48:03
Reply #2

Nejc Kilar

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My personal website
Actually I'm not asking about the difference between AMD and Intel CPUs because its all x86 so it all pretty much ends up working the same as far as rendering goes. I'm specifically asking about 3990x owners if they are hitting any issues - like I am with my 2x 2696v3 Xeon CPUs.

It would appear there are some "issues" related to bump maps getting huge speed hits and some other weirdness like the UI acting funny with high thread count CPUs which seem to be specific to the C4D Corona version (not sure, seems like it though). Whether it has something to do with 2-Socket systems like mine, 2x NUMA nodes (<- 3990x falls into this category too I think) or just high thread count CPUs in general (whatever fits into 2 processor groups in Windows) I have no idea but I'd like to find out if it affects the 3990x.

Seems like finding Corona for Cinema 4D users with decked out 3990x systems is proving to be harder than I thought lol.

edit: just to be totally clear, I'm asking because with my current system and some of my colleagues reporting similar issues on similar hardware (Intel or AMD) I'm afraid that throwing 4000%u20AC for a CPU that I will have to neuter to work with Corona for Cinema 4D is something I'm trying to avoid. If that is the case, I might as well buy a 32 core 3970x which will work as fast as a 3990x / High End Xeon Platinum once you start doing things like using bump maps in your scenes. I'm not saying that will happen or that the CPUs are the culprit (I'm speculating based on a couple of existing bug reports), I'm just trying to find people with such systems and ask them if everything works OK so as to avoid the headaches and wasted money. The 3ds Max boys seem to be enjoying the higher end CPUs just fine.
« Last Edit: 2020-04-28, 17:05:30 by Nejc Kilar »

2020-04-28, 18:30:59
Reply #3

mattspaeth

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I run C4D and I'm building a 3990x system with 256GB of RAM. I should have all the parts here by the end of week.

2020-04-28, 18:37:21
Reply #4

leo3d

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Leo3D
I ve a 3990X on MSI TRX40 with 128 Go Ram
Work like a charm, more stable than my another station with Core i9 Extreme. I think i will update it to threadripper too 3970X or 3990X
I don't have any regrets with my migration to AMD

2020-04-28, 18:59:42
Reply #5

mattspaeth

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I ve a 3990X on MSI TRX40 with 128 Go Ram
Work like a charm, more stable than my another station with Core i9 Extreme. I think i will update it to threadripper too 3970X or 3990X
I don't have any regrets with my migration to AMD

Very nice. Which cooler are you using?

2020-04-28, 19:08:58
Reply #6

Nejc Kilar

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My personal website
Awesome, thank you guys for getting touch! Can't tell you how much I appreciate it as it seems like searching for Corona C4D 3990x users is like searching for a needle in a haystack at this point., ha! :)

Would it be possible for any of you to test out whether plugging a bitmap into the bump slot nets you a massive speed decrease (rays/s)?

I'm mainly asking because I've had a couple of people report this behavior and the common thread is that we all use a 2S NUMA node system. (More about the issue can be found here -> https://forum.corona-renderer.com/index.php?topic=28383.0)

I'd immensely appreciate if you guys could test that out real quick - It doesn't have to be a full blown scene, a simple scene with a sphere, a single corona material and a light is all that is needed. As soon as you plug the bump map in the IR should report back a difference in rays/s. If there isn't a difference then thats great, lol.

I'm also wondering, does running IR and tweaking material work nice? We've had a couple of weird threading issues popping up on Xeons and the 2990wx here.

Much much appreciated folks!

2020-04-28, 20:29:55
Reply #7

leo3d

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Leo3D
Asus ROG RYUJIN 360

2020-06-05, 19:26:19
Reply #8

dirktorrijos

• Users
    • View Profile
I run a 3970X, because the  3.7ghz single core speed vs 2.9ghz  is vitally important for working in Cinema4D in general. I thought about going for the 3990, but the single core speed was going to hurt me in a lot of instances.  Luckily, if I need to preview a render heavy frame quickly, I have 8 2990's in a mini farm that I can use to render a single frame to picture viewer. I'm at 128G Ram, working off a 2080ti and a Titan X.

2020-06-06, 10:00:30
Reply #9

Nejc Kilar

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My personal website
I run a 3970X, because the  3.7ghz single core speed vs 2.9ghz  is vitally important for working in Cinema4D in general. I thought about going for the 3990, but the single core speed was going to hurt me in a lot of instances.  Luckily, if I need to preview a render heavy frame quickly, I have 8 2990's in a mini farm that I can use to render a single frame to picture viewer. I'm at 128G Ram, working off a 2080ti and a Titan X.

Awesome, thanks for raising your hand here!

Any chance you could take a look at this particular issue and see if it applies to you? (https://forum.corona-renderer.com/index.php?topic=28383.0)

It's about using bump maps and the speed decrease one gets when the bitmaps aren't nested in a CBitmap.