Author Topic: GPUs on the Intel Rendering framework  (Read 22562 times)

2019-07-24, 09:53:44

Nejc Kilar

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My personal website
I do not consider myself a fan of Intel (nor AMD for that point) but I've just came across this interesting tid bit https://youtu.be/NCh7-Ge7SLs?t=2740. Its Jim Jeffers on

I dislike to speculate but the presenter was fairly specific - Any renderer that works on the Intel Rendering Framework can be accelerated using Intel Xe GPUs. Corona is specifically being mentioned and what is also said is that the code base doesn't need "a lot" of changes.

Seems like an interesting notion. I could be getting it wrong but from what I heard is that any renderer (regardless of the CPU vendor) built on the Intel Rendering Framework (V-Ray, Corona...) will be able to leverage Xe GPUs to accelerate rendering. To quote Jim, "your CPU codebase will be your GPU codebase".

Obviously we don't know anything about Xe GPUs at this point but they are slated to be launched in ~2020 / 2021 afaik.

So yeah, any thoughts peeps? Intriguing stuff unless its going to be just another "CPU for rendering, GPU for denoising" type of an ordeal.
Nejc Kilar | chaos-corona.com
Educational Content Creator | contact us

2019-07-24, 15:17:38
Reply #1

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
If this thing happens like they say, then yes, there will be Corona acceleration from day 1. Intel keeps us in the loop, and we are curious where this goes.
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2019-07-27, 16:45:50
Reply #2

Nejc Kilar

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My personal website
Thanks for hanging around Ondra, that was an interesting reply :) Curios to see what will happen as well :)
Nejc Kilar | chaos-corona.com
Educational Content Creator | contact us