Author Topic: Threadripper & Ryzen only builds (3rd Gen starts on page 50)  (Read 520332 times)

2022-10-20, 13:29:52
Reply #1425

4b4

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thanks Nejc, appreciate the advice and good to know it's being worked on. I was hoping to avoid disabling SMT but, doing that does at least make it a usable machine.

I'll head on over to the other thread.

2022-10-20, 13:34:13
Reply #1426

Nejc Kilar

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My personal website
Hello.
I have a 3995wx with a Noctua NH-U14S. I  have also added a secondary Noctua 140mm NF-A15 HS-PWM and a couple of  Noctua NF-F12-PWM 120mm Fan to help with airflow.
When rendering I am regularly getting temps of over 90c. Last night the max package temp was 93.6c!
Has anyone got experience with effectively cooling this chip? Seems like I need to look at something with a bit more power.

I think something must be off there, I can't imagine a 3995wx getting that hot with a Noctua NH-U14S unless you are doing PBO on it (AFAIK some WRX80 boards now allow that) or something is off

For reference, my 3970x is getting max 70c with that cooler (with PBO it can boost to 80c something but comes to down to 73c after mere seconds) and my 5995wx with an upside down NH-U14S maxes out at 70c.

Really seems off for some reason :\

Thanks for the reply. This is a bit worrying. What would be your first steps for troubleshooting the issue?

Honestly I would first probably go and check if PBO is on and if any of the voltage settings are not set to AUTO or whatever the default / proper setting would be. I'd probably consider resetting the BIOS too. It sounds to me like your CPU might be boosting itself into oblivion.

If that is not it I'd look into what Romullus said and re-seat the thing. If you do that though make sure you wipe the existing thermal paste with proper tools and not a 1 cent napkin that will leave fabric residue on the ILM - that would not be the best. I sort of doubt you'd get 93.6c just because of the thermal paste not being applied properly but then again I've been proven wrong before lol.
Nejc Kilar | chaos-corona.com
Educational Content Creator | contact us

2022-11-07, 18:02:09
Reply #1427

dfcorona

• Active Users
    • View Profile

2022-11-08, 11:41:34
Reply #1428

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
I had look at some reviews and here is my meta-analysis :- )

- It does have large coverage (for Threadripper and Xeons) cold-plate, but it seems to be the usual "trick", it's only the thin bottom part, the water injet inside only covers the centre.
- It comes with very cheap but massively fast fans (2500 rpms) and that is what gives it performance advantage against competition.
- When normalized for noise (either by slowing the stock fans or installing something much better) it is only slightly (3-4C) better than usual AIOs, which aren't that good on Threadripper.

So my takeway is mixed. Buying the 360 or 420 version and replacing the fans might be good solution. Just like you did with Silverstone.

Are you no longer satisfied with your SilverStone IceGem 360?

This looks like it would at best be very similar (or worse).
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2022-11-09, 07:36:20
Reply #1429

dfcorona

• Active Users
    • View Profile
No the SilverStone IceGem 360 has been great. I just wanted to see if anyone had any hands on experience with the Alphacool. Like to see other options and opinions.

2022-11-13, 08:11:12
Reply #1430

dfcorona

• Active Users
    • View Profile
So is it worth upgrading to Windows 11 now? Is there anything about it better than Windows 10? Are renders on windows 11 slower than Windows 10, I once heard gaming was but not sure if it's been fixed. Does Windows 11 work just as well with 3990x with 64 cores?

Wanted to see what others think, especially if they benchmarked there render times against Windows 10.
« Last Edit: 2022-11-13, 15:59:51 by dfcorona »

2022-11-18, 00:54:09
Reply #1431

dfcorona

• Active Users
    • View Profile

2022-11-18, 08:39:57
Reply #1432

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
I am on Win11 on every PC except my Threadripper :- ) Will upgrade on next few days.
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models

2022-11-18, 09:24:52
Reply #1433

Nejc Kilar

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My personal website
Can't say I noticed a difference anywhere when I upgraded my 3970x build to W11. All smooth... Well, smooth as it can be for Windows meaning weird updates bricking things left and right and changing settings and all that (which applies to W10 too) but besides that functionality all good imho. The 5995wx I haven't really tested on W10 but W11 works fine and as I'd expect it to - with all the Windows being Windows included.

2022-11-18, 18:36:03
Reply #1434

dfcorona

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Awesome to hear, how was the performance vs windows 10? is CPU rendering the same? is GPU rendering the same? Or slower or faster? That is my main concern is the performance on windows 11. I'm running a 3990x for CPU rendering so hopefully that performs the same in windows 11.  I heard before about windows 11 being slower for gaming, so that makes me worry about GPU rendering, anyone have any experience with that also?

2023-04-20, 07:17:35
Reply #1435

3DInteriors

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • 3D Interiors
I have a Theadripper 3970x processor with an ASUS ROG STRIX TRX40-E GAMING motherboard. I want to replace the memory modules. What types of offers have already been proven with high workloads? I currently have 2 x 32 Gb HyperX 64GB KIT 3200MHz DDR4 CL16 Predator memory.

2023-04-20, 12:27:05
Reply #1436

Nejc Kilar

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My personal website
Awesome to hear, how was the performance vs windows 10? is CPU rendering the same? is GPU rendering the same? Or slower or faster? That is my main concern is the performance on windows 11. I'm running a 3990x for CPU rendering so hopefully that performs the same in windows 11.  I heard before about windows 11 being slower for gaming, so that makes me worry about GPU rendering, anyone have any experience with that also?

Honestly my experience with W11 is much the same as it is was with W10 so far. Both the CPU benchmarks seem in line as well as GPU ones. Besides Windows being Windows I think there really ain't any difference in terms of performance.

2023-04-20, 12:28:28
Reply #1437

Nejc Kilar

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My personal website
I have a Theadripper 3970x processor with an ASUS ROG STRIX TRX40-E GAMING motherboard. I want to replace the memory modules. What types of offers have already been proven with high workloads? I currently have 2 x 32 Gb HyperX 64GB KIT 3200MHz DDR4 CL16 Predator memory.

I've got a Crucial Ballistixs on my 3970x and they work great. Juraj will probably know more but I don't think you can really go wrong with any kind of "average" 3200 or 3600mhz for Zen 2. If you want to be 100% you ought to stick to the QVL list though.

2023-04-20, 15:05:02
Reply #1438

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
I don't think 3970X is very choosy, though it depends on individual chip luck. Strix-E Gaming is good board, should have wide compatibility with latest bios.

Mid-range 3200/CL16 or 3600/CL18 from reputable brand will work. I am also fan of Crucial Ballistics, because they manufacture the dies as well (Crucial is sub-brand of Micron). With any other brand, it's lottery what is it that you get (It can be Samsung, Micron or Hynix, and any tier of quality).

As usual, while not necessary, buying a "kit" (all modules together) will increase a chance of all running well. It's easier for memory IO to have as much ranks in single module as possible. So 4x32GB is better than 8x16GB for example, even when both have 128GB total capacity.

In case you would want to run 256GB (8x32GB), those start to be a problem and it's the only time you should go for high-end memory to make sure it will be stable. Only few brands offer such as kits though, particularly G.Skill.

But since you already have "2 x 32 Gb HyperX 64GB KIT 3200MHz DDR4 CL16 Predator ", I would suggest buying another EXACT kit ( don't google the name, google the ID code such as "HX432C16PB3K2/64". Memory often gets different dies for the same name one year than other.