Author Topic: Threadripper & Ryzen only builds (3rd Gen starts on page 50)  (Read 521386 times)

2022-10-14, 10:50:38
Reply #1410

Nejc Kilar

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My personal website
Hello.
I have a 3995wx with a Noctua NH-U14S. I  have also added a secondary Noctua 140mm NF-A15 HS-PWM and a couple of  Noctua NF-F12-PWM 120mm Fan to help with airflow.
When rendering I am regularly getting temps of over 90c. Last night the max package temp was 93.6c!
Has anyone got experience with effectively cooling this chip? Seems like I need to look at something with a bit more power.

I think something must be off there, I can't imagine a 3995wx getting that hot with a Noctua NH-U14S unless you are doing PBO on it (AFAIK some WRX80 boards now allow that) or something is off

For reference, my 3970x is getting max 70c with that cooler (with PBO it can boost to 80c something but comes to down to 73c after mere seconds) and my 5995wx with an upside down NH-U14S maxes out at 70c.

Really seems off for some reason :\
Nejc Kilar | chaos-corona.com
Educational Content Creator | contact us

2022-10-14, 12:48:43
Reply #1411

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Also there really isn't anything stronger on market. This is it unless you plan custom water-loop.
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2022-10-14, 12:53:40
Reply #1412

Nejc Kilar

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My personal website
Also there really isn't anything stronger on market. This is it unless you plan custom water-loop.

While I'm a huge Noctua fan I'm still a bit bummed out that we can't mount an IceGiant onto the WRX80 motherboards. IMHO that thing is the best of both worlds but its only for sTRX40 motherboards (the socket is rotated 90 degrees on the WRX80 platform).

2022-10-14, 14:54:19
Reply #1413

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
The static pressure required to feed IceGiant means that when noise normalized to reasonable amount, it didn't even beat Noctua.
It has far higher thermal ceiling that is for sure, but I doubt that is preferrable in workstation, even NH-U14 can get too loud with above 1000rpm single-fan.
If you run Threadripper under 300W limit, there is no point to it.

I am more baffled there still isn't single good reliable AIO for the socket, esp. with popularity of Epyc. It would be one AIO for big market (Threadripper, Threadripper Pro, Epyc of all gens,..).
Just weird, not one one.

BTW:
my 5995wx with an upside down NH-U14S maxes out at 70c.

Did you win lottery :- D ? Nice.
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models

2022-10-14, 14:57:56
Reply #1414

dfcorona

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I am more baffled there still isn't single good reliable AIO for the socket, esp. with popularity of Epyc. It would be one AIO for big market (Threadripper, Threadripper Pro, Epyc of all gens,..).
Just weird, not one one.
I've been using the SilverStone IceGem 360 with great success.

2022-10-14, 16:15:49
Reply #1415

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
So you did buy it? Do you have any results/comparisons?

2022-10-14, 16:26:18
Reply #1416

dfcorona

• Active Users
    • View Profile
So you did buy it? Do you have any results/comparisons?
yes I posted results on post #1355. Sorry on a phone right now.

2022-10-14, 19:54:30
Reply #1417

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
That looks pretty damn good :- ) I think I'll order one to test. Did you replace fans?

2022-10-14, 21:56:48
Reply #1418

dfcorona

• Active Users
    • View Profile
That looks pretty damn good :- ) I think I'll order one to test. Did you replace fans?
Yes replace them with the Arctic fans BioniX P120, it'll be much quieter and you'll get better airflow and cooling.

Honestly I forget if those were the temps before or after the fans replaced, it's been a while.

2022-10-15, 01:01:22
Reply #1419

Nejc Kilar

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My personal website
The static pressure required to feed IceGiant means that when noise normalized to reasonable amount, it didn't even beat Noctua.
It has far higher thermal ceiling that is for sure, but I doubt that is preferrable in workstation, even NH-U14 can get too loud with above 1000rpm single-fan.
If you run Threadripper under 300W limit, there is no point to it.

Just weird, not one one.

BTW:
my 5995wx with an upside down NH-U14S maxes out at 70c.

Did you win lottery :- D ? Nice.

That is an interesting remark about the IceGiant. I mean the temps from all the reviews I've seen are just fantastic and the noise doesn't appear to be an issue per say - but I haven't tested it myself so its all on the "I read about it" basis :) Could be useful if the Zen 4 Threadrippers will boost up to 95c as their desktop counterparts lol.

As for the 5995wx, lottery would be nice, ha! This was pretty much just saving money for years and years. Seriously thought about other options although this ultimately made the most sense all in all given the workload. Suffice it to say I don't plan on upgrading any time soon even if I wanted to :D It is a real treat working on it that's for sure and it's really helping me out.
« Last Edit: 2022-10-15, 01:06:30 by Nejc Kilar »

2022-10-15, 13:20:26
Reply #1420

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
It's in KitGuru's test, they tested it across all RPM ranges and dB ratings. I can find the particular graph later.

2022-10-17, 03:03:43
Reply #1421

gavin@gavinscott3d.com

• Users
    • View Profile
Hello.
I have a 3995wx with a Noctua NH-U14S. I  have also added a secondary Noctua 140mm NF-A15 HS-PWM and a couple of  Noctua NF-F12-PWM 120mm Fan to help with airflow.
When rendering I am regularly getting temps of over 90c. Last night the max package temp was 93.6c!
Has anyone got experience with effectively cooling this chip? Seems like I need to look at something with a bit more power.

I think something must be off there, I can't imagine a 3995wx getting that hot with a Noctua NH-U14S unless you are doing PBO on it (AFAIK some WRX80 boards now allow that) or something is off

For reference, my 3970x is getting max 70c with that cooler (with PBO it can boost to 80c something but comes to down to 73c after mere seconds) and my 5995wx with an upside down NH-U14S maxes out at 70c.

Really seems off for some reason :\

Thanks for the reply. This is a bit worrying. What would be your first steps for troubleshooting the issue?

2022-10-17, 09:50:22
Reply #1422

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
Did you try to re-seat the cooler on the CPU? That would be the most obvious first step for me trying to diagnose high temps issue.
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2022-10-20, 11:18:45
Reply #1423

4b4

• Active Users
    • View Profile

As for the 5995wx, lottery would be nice, ha! This was pretty much just saving money for years and years. Seriously thought about other options although this ultimately made the most sense all in all given the workload. Suffice it to say I don't plan on upgrading any time soon even if I wanted to :D It is a real treat working on it that's for sure and it's really helping me out.

Hi Nejc, I went for the 5995WX too but I'm struggling with it. Temps are ok but when using the IR in C4D things are virtually unresponsive. The speed is great for final renders, but getting it to a point where it's ready to go is very frustrating. Any tips from your setup?

2022-10-20, 13:25:00
Reply #1424

Nejc Kilar

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My personal website

Hi Nejc, I went for the 5995WX too but I'm struggling with it. Temps are ok but when using the IR in C4D things are virtually unresponsive. The speed is great for final renders, but getting it to a point where it's ready to go is very frustrating. Any tips from your setup?

Howdy! Congratulations on winning the lottery to you too! Jokes aside, its a fine CPU for just about anything I'd say.

The issue you are describing is most probably the same as in this C4D thread (https://forum.corona-renderer.com/index.php?topic=37900.0) and we are aware of it and are trying to fix it.

In the meantime I'd suggest reading through that thread as I offer a workaround for the time being which is to disable SMT. That will lower the performance ceiling for the CPU as you'll effectively go from 128 thread to "just" 64 but the performance loss is less than that - I noticed about 20-30% which is still faster than say a 5975wx. More info in that thread and I'd really like to stress this, we are aware of it and the suggestion above is just a workaround for the meantime.

Also, if you raise your hand in that thread that'd be helpful in case we might want to contact you to run some profiler tests.