Author Topic: Problem after rendering with Deadline using "tile rendering"  (Read 3206 times)

2016-04-01, 14:23:03

moadr

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Vermeer by Stableworks
Hi!

I have tried to look for some information in the "Index" topic, but I was not able to find the right information.

The problem we are facing in the office is, that when we try to render an image with Deadline in tiles, after you check the final result in some parts it is clearly visible, where the separate tiles were stitched together. My guess is, that it could be a problem, that we have some different setups in our renderfarm (some computers with Intel processors, some with AMD processors for example) and they produce a different end result. Could this be the problem? If so, is there a solution for that?
I am just guessing, as you have the option to setup the final render quality by giving a certain amount of passes or a certain amount of time to render. But with big differences in the computer performances (different rays/s values) is it possible that they produce such a different end result?

(We also had similar problems while using stripe rendering via Backburner, that's why I am guessing, that it is probably a problem with the blades and not the actual render managing software).

Thank you very much for your feedback in advance :)
Adrian Moorsel

Vermeer by Stableworks   |   https://stableworks.tech

2016-04-01, 15:13:48
Reply #1

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
If you are using pass limit, then it's not possible that different computers produce different results in terms of quality.

This looks like a problem with different solution of UHD Cache (it is random). Solution is to either use path tracing only (this will make things much slower), or use a pre-baked UHD Cache. You can learn more here: https://coronarenderer.freshdesk.com/support/solutions/articles/5000515648
You can also try using the "animation flicker free" preset of UHD Cache, but there still might be some slight differences.
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2016-04-01, 15:36:00
Reply #2

moadr

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Vermeer by Stableworks
If you are using pass limit, then it's not possible that different computers produce different results in terms of quality.

This looks like a problem with different solution of UHD Cache (it is random). Solution is to either use path tracing only (this will make things much slower), or use a pre-baked UHD Cache. You can learn more here: https://coronarenderer.freshdesk.com/support/solutions/articles/5000515648
You can also try using the "animation flicker free" preset of UHD Cache, but there still might be some slight differences.

I am using pass limit in this case, so I think you are right that there is a difference in the UHD Cache calculation.

To save the UHD Cache file and than load it back for the final rendering, what is the best way to do that? Do I have to setup the final image resolution and than start the render for example locally, wait for the precomputation to end and than stop the rendering and save the HDCache file? After that I should just select the option, to load the hdcache file from the server and send it out to the farm that way? Is this the right approach?

Compared to that it seems to me, that the "animation flicker free" option would be easier.

Anyways, I will make some tests both way and post the results here.
Adrian Moorsel

2016-04-01, 16:33:26
Reply #3

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
To save the UHD Cache file and than load it back for the final rendering, what is the best way to do that? Do I have to setup the final image resolution and than start the render for example locally, wait for the precomputation to end and than stop the rendering and save the HDCache file? After that I should just select the option, to load the hdcache file from the server and send it out to the farm that way? Is this the right approach?
[/quote]
Yes, that should work. You do not even need to render the final-resolution image if it's very high. It should work even if you use lower resolution to bake the cache.
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2016-04-01, 16:38:39
Reply #4

moadr

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Vermeer by Stableworks
Yes, that should work. You do not even need to render the final-resolution image if it's very high. It should work even if you use lower resolution to bake the cache.

Yeah, that was something I tried to point out, but didn't really succeeded to :)
Sometimes it would take a lot more time to precalculate a full final image in the final resolution, so it is good to know that we can do the precalculation in lower resolution. I am rendering some tests over the weekend on the farm and will come back on Monday with the results.

Thanks for the help!
Adrian Moorsel