Author Topic: Easiest way to switch between Day and Night setup  (Read 2219 times)

2021-12-08, 12:55:30

PGD

• Users
    • View Profile
Hello,

I wondered how you switched between a Day and Night scene the easiest. As you know sometimes you need a mixture of daylight and dusk/night views

With Vray, I'd setup a vraydome light with a HDRi on one layer. Then another layer with a daylight HDRi light setup (or Sun). Then have 2 cameras, one with Day settings and another with longer exposure etc for a night setup. To switch, I'd hide or unhide the appropriate layer, switch the camera and render.

I guess with Corona I can switch the Environment slot, then camera and render which is no more difficult. I just wondered what your workflow is.

2021-12-08, 13:09:06
Reply #1

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Or you could use LightMix, then you can adjust lighting from night, day, evening, etc. all without re-rendering (and if you save to CXR, can do that in the Corona Image Editor, at any time in post). You can also then save configs for the tone mapping for day or night etc exposures, and configs for the LightMix day and night settings.
Tom Grimes | chaos-corona.com
Product Manager | contact us

2021-12-08, 16:23:04
Reply #2

PGD

• Users
    • View Profile
LightMix can do all that - wow! I'm sceptical about that but I'll give it a try. So much to learn!

2021-12-08, 16:53:15
Reply #3

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
There's a Max tutorial at
to get you started (it's older though and needs redoing, as it doesn't cover new functionality such as support for multiple procedural or HDRI skies)

For some newer features in LightMix, the C4D tutorials at
and
cover some uses of multiple suns/skies, and the principles are the same as in Max so relevant info can be extracted from those.

And there's the helpdesk articles at https://support.corona-renderer.com/hc/en-us/articles/4402308935569-How-to-use-interactive-LightMix- and https://support.corona-renderer.com/hc/en-us/articles/4402596630417

Hope this helps get you started!
Tom Grimes | chaos-corona.com
Product Manager | contact us

2021-12-08, 17:40:51
Reply #4

PGD

• Users
    • View Profile
Fantastic, thanks very much for that!

2021-12-08, 17:41:05
Reply #5

hurrycat

• Active Users
    • View Profile
LightMix can do all that - wow! I'm sceptical about that but I'll give it a try. So much to learn!

Don't be, the flexibility it gives you in unparalleled (resulting in a larger CXR file though). The method I follow is:

1) If lighting the scene with HDRIs, then just add them to Render Setup > Scene Tab > Scene Environment > Multiple Maps (LightMix) and then Setup Lightmix.

2) If lighting with different Suns and their respective CoronaSky maps, then add every CoronaSky to the Scene Environment > Multiple Maps from the 1st example. You will then need to edit the CoronaSky parameters through the Material Editor and go Sun Selection > Manual, to assign every CoronaSky to its respective Sun. This way you will have the most realistic results.

Of course you should watch the tutorials, but this should help you jump start this, if you are in a hurry.