Author Topic: Corona Sun darker than sky  (Read 2164 times)

2021-11-05, 19:18:59

fflasshh

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi,
I try to render a scene, where the sun is directly in front of the camera - kinda sunset scene. No matter how I tweak it, the sun is always darker than the sky, and I don't know why. No matter how low the sun is, it should be brighter than the sky. If I set the intensity stronger, the sun will brighten up the scene, but the visible disc remains the same dark yellow...
This way, I can't use the bloom and glare settings eighter, because the sun disk is dark, so no bloom or glare on the disk. Anyone had this problem? What I need, is a bright sun, in front of the camera.
Thanks!

2021-11-05, 19:32:32
Reply #1

PROH

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi. Looking at your render, I can't see any shadows nor direct light, so it sure seems wrong.
Is the Sun and Sky intensity set to 1 and "ON"?
Do you have more than one Sun in the scene?
Can you show your setup and settings?

2021-11-05, 19:38:33
Reply #2

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Yep, seeing your settings would be good, including Highlight Clamping, and LUTs (LUTs can make a huge difference to how your sun looks), and whether texturing is on or off for the sun.
Tom Grimes | chaos-corona.com
Product Manager | contact us

2021-11-05, 20:04:30
Reply #3

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
This way, I can't use the bloom and glare settings eighter, because the sun disk is dark, so no bloom or glare on the disk. Anyone had this problem? What I need, is a bright sun, in front of the camera.
Thanks!

Bloom & glare is calculated from pre-tonemapped brightness, so the sun should always produce some B&G, no matter its visual appearance, unless you intenionally turn sun's intensity very low, i mean very very low, like 0,000001 or so. Did you actually tried to turn B&G on and see how it looks? Unnatural yellow disc should turn to much nicer glow by B&G.

By the way, that yellow colour, when the sun is very low, it's not a bug per se, that's how old Corona sky and sun model works (it's because of rounding error, or internal colour space, or something like that, i can't remember exact explanation). I think this limitation has been lifted in the newest sky model, but i'm not sure about that.
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2021-11-05, 20:45:28
Reply #4

fflasshh

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Oh, yes! It was the highlight clamping in the system menu.
Thanks you guys, now it's working.