Author Topic: Anodized Aluminum/Apple Mac Pro  (Read 7108 times)

2019-07-09, 17:32:50

John.McWaters

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • JohnMcWaters.com
I'm trying to create a better anodized aluminum material for use with objects/electronics (such as Apple products) as well as architectural components such as aluminum window mullions. This is my progress so far.

2019-07-10, 13:51:02
Reply #1

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
It looks awesome!
I am not sure if it exists in real life references of this material, but for extra realism, especially in the close-ups, you could try adding a layer of thin film manually or using this plugin https://www.sigershop.eu/free-3ds-max-plugins/sigertexmaps-thinfilm/
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2019-07-10, 14:52:54
Reply #2

John.McWaters

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • JohnMcWaters.com
Are you referring to mimicking a thin layer of finish on the outside of the aluminum?

2019-07-11, 11:40:16
Reply #3

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
I mean a very thin layer of rainbowy film, when you see something really up close. I am just not sure if this effect appears on metals.
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2019-07-11, 19:46:20
Reply #4

steyin

• Active Users
  • BALLS
    • View Profile
    • Instagram Page
I mean a very thin layer of rainbowy film, when you see something really up close. I am just not sure if this effect appears on metals.
I've noticed looking at many metal samples (mainly silver color) in the office that there is a layer that appears as a mix of green/purple at certain angles (unless it isn't an additional finish but just a characteristic of the specular reflection itself).
That micro specular color varies for other colored metals.

2019-07-12, 10:54:17
Reply #5

jrgby

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I've noticed looking at many metal samples (mainly silver color) in the office that there is a layer that appears as a mix of green/purple at certain angles (unless it isn't an additional finish but just a characteristic of the specular reflection itself).
That micro specular color varies for other colored metals.

Could be several things: some sort of subtle tarnishing or oxidisation / oil from hands that then gets imperfectly cleaned off / OR probably a type of lacquer/varnish of which there are many types and thicknesses.
There is even a type of lacquer that is marketed as 'nano coat', several companies do a version of it, that is suposedly invisible and completely protective, but in our experience does produce some very subtle oily-rainbow type effects in places.

2019-07-15, 03:28:55
Reply #6

cjwidd

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Artstation
I think it looks great, good job +1

Also, Maru, thank you for sharing the siger texmap, I've never seen it before

2019-11-20, 16:11:24
Reply #7

SharpEars

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I know this is an old thread, but with regard to aluminum, there is in fact a thin film of aluminum oxide that forms over the aluminum. This is why cutting aluminum foil with scissors can actually sharpen them.

Aluminum oxide is corundum, btw, a very hard mineral with a Mohs hardness of 9 (diamond is 10).

Have a look at https://www.starrapid.com/blog/7-things-you-need-to-know-about-anodizing-aluminum/ for more info.

2021-08-07, 15:36:31
Reply #8

dacian

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Op, did you make this material public anywhere?
I'd love to learn from how it was made.