Author Topic: Reviews for Xeon W-3175X are out  (Read 2408 times)

2019-01-30, 16:30:40

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
So the 28core miracle from Intel finally surfaced to the market and reviews have been pouring out:

https://www.anandtech.com/show/13748/the-intel-xeon-w-3175x-review-28-unlocked-cores-2999-usd
https://www.gamersnexus.net/hwreviews/3433-intel-xeon-w-3175x-28-core-cpu-review-benchmark-overclocking
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/intel-xeon-w-3175x-cpu,5976.html

Not the best review sites, but Kitguru always takes his time :- ).

I am actually kind of baffled by these reviews...they compare 3175X which comes by default with unlocked TDP and thus reaches 3.8Ghz+ All-core turbo at easily 360W+ to stock 2990WX with its 250W and then proclaim how it's clear winner.
It doesn't come soldered and reaches beyond 100C at 500W+ when overclocking to overcome 2990WX. At this point, it also overpowers the bundled (right now it comes only in prepackaged OEM builds) Asetek AIO with 70dB (fullscale airplane mode).

The 3175X does come out of top with absolute overclocking potential, even reaching 6500+ Cinebench R15 points. But it suffers heavy AVX penalty, setting back its Corona potential. Some reviewers reached 800W power draw for AVX512 at -1Ghz penalty :- ) It better not burn your house.

The price is surprisingly rather fair. That is, until 48core Threadripper surfaces.

You can only buy it from BOXX and other OEMs. So multiply the price for full build buy two. Then buy 3 threadrippers instead.

Edit: So Derbauer already did delid, got 10C difference. And apparently the published price is red herring, akin to RTX ;- ) Price in Europe will be 4500 Euro from CaseKing.

« Last Edit: 2019-01-30, 18:06:46 by Juraj Talcik »
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2019-01-31, 02:11:56
Reply #1

danio1011

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thanks for the information.  That doesn't seem like a particularly appealing upgrade.  The 1950x still seems like a good bang for your buck with the 2990wx being a great alternate for top of the line performance.  I can't imagine springing for this Intel CPU.  If I was going to lay down that kind of cash right now I think it would be on 2-4 2080 Ti's with NVlink and I'd try out FStorm (which aims to support NVlink soon) or upgrade my VRay 3.6 license to 4.0 to see if it's improved.

2019-02-09, 15:07:25
Reply #2

JViz

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Behance
thanks for the info. agreed, Intel needs to work hard to impress us or even get our trust again. they held back progress because when they had no competition and took extortionate sums of money from us for 800 R15 points cpu's. Intel will have to show us something REAL.

I used to look at the performance gains over the years and couldn't even imagine we would hit something like 1200 for a reasonable price any time soon. threadripper came along and changed everything. 5000 for 1600pounds or 3200 for 800pounds heck for that you had to own two xeons to get there, which at the time I had to do, used xeons that was.

looking forward to more competition and knocked down prices.
Although a purist, my work is anything but.
https://www.behance.net/ImageInnate

2019-02-11, 09:59:46
Reply #3

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
The motherboards costs 1800 Euro each :- ).

This will not have lowered price in near future, it will stay limited halo product, heck, not even my i9 7980XE ever came down in price and this is whole another level. It only need to exist, not to sell. After all, it eats multiple of its Xeon counterpart selling margins, so not a great business thing for Intel.
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!