Author Topic: Threadripper & Ryzen only builds (3rd Gen starts on page 50)  (Read 520285 times)

2020-01-28, 15:00:57
Reply #840

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
The custom loop is not necessary. I do believe UH-14s TR4 is better than your Cooler Master, people report on average 10 C lower temperatures (But of course, everyone has different room ambient, amount of GPUs inside case, and pulls the number from different software).
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2020-01-29, 09:20:31
Reply #841

hldemi

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi guys, so I recently finished a 3960x build with a Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML360 RGB TR4 Edition CPU cooler, the case also has a lot of open space for ventilation.
Now when rendering I'm getting temps of around 90°C i know the max temp is 95°C but I cant help but think that's kinda high. If anyone could shed some light that would be great.
*There is thermal pastes and all fans are working.

I am using 3960x and h115i pro in a so small case that I literally could not even fit the radiator inside of the case so I needed to get it outside so I needed to remove front mask. So having said that I am also not using perfect TR4 coverage and I dont ever get over 85c. That was only once. Usually if I left Corona to render for an hour I get stable 77 after 15 minutes and it stays there.

So I can only ask you few things. Do you have proper case ventilation, are other fans faced on right side , frontal pulling and other pushing air out of the case. Is thermal paste being applied correctly, try big blob in center or X pattern. Have you maybe used far too little of it. Are you fans having enough space to get outside air in. Is your room a sauna :D

Possible solutions to make things better: Try to set pump and fans to rotate as fast as you can. Try to buy few more fans  and do push pull formation . This is how I lowered temp from 80 to 77. 
Try to open the case and observe the difference.

After working for few days thermal paste will get to its maximum expanding and will cover most of the space. IN first days i got 83. Then 80 and then after I bought two more fans I got to77. At 77 I am happy.

2020-01-29, 10:41:35
Reply #842

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
If your fans need to run more than 50perc. to get those addditonal 2-3C down outside of peak temps (like during denoise) then maybe the cooler just isn't right choice to begin with. But seeing how popular it is... I don't know what to say about it further.
Push Pull on 28mm ultra-thin aluminium radiator is same extreme, not even 60mm copper radiators with medium fin density benefit much, it's again 2-3C at really high RPMs (1500+).

High viscosity pastes like the one from Noctua expand within 5 minutes. When I tested Noctua against Cryonaut, there wasn't even 1 degree of difference, just lot more trouble with spreading the dense paste.

Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models

2020-01-29, 10:50:14
Reply #843

hldemi

• Active Users
    • View Profile
If your fans need to run more than 50perc. to get those addditonal 2-3C down outside of peak temps (like during denoise) then maybe the cooler just isn't right choice to begin with. But seeing how popular it is... I don't know what to say about it further.
Push Pull on 28mm ultra-thin aluminium radiator is same extreme, not even 60mm copper radiators with medium fin density benefit much, it's again 2-3C at really high RPMs (1500+).

High viscosity pastes like the one from Noctua expand within 5 minutes. When I tested Noctua against Cryonaut, there wasn't even 1 degree of difference, just lot more trouble with spreading the dense paste.

So you think its the cooler thats getting him to 90c. I am not saying that its not responsible for higher temperatures but there must be something additional to get him to 90. Its just too high. 
Only one way to know by testing with different cooler.

2020-02-03, 16:37:15
Reply #844

psanitra

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • NeEmotion.net
This new 300W DTP Air cooler from Zelman looks pretty solid! Wish that was a TR4 version,  https://www.kitguru.net/components/leo-waldock/zalman-cnps20x-and-cnps17x-noctua-look-out/
Noemotion.net - www.noemotion.net
Peter Sanitra - www.psanitra.com
Noemotionhdrs.net - www.noemotionhdrs.net

2020-02-03, 19:00:46
Reply #845

Vuk

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Still waiting for the Waterblock from EK should be here any day. Got all the other parts. The motherboard is ok but  I don't know how I missed the fact that the 1st PCI-e slot is so god damn close to the RAM slots. If I want to take out the ram on the left side I need to take out the graphics card... They made the latches open on the bottom part overlapping the PCIE slot while the right side ram slots have the latches at the top not overlapping on anything... Jesus Asus why...

I had a Kraken X62 laying around from a previous build I made for my friend so I completed the case with that one. Did a loop of 10 minutes Cinebench runs and the Maximum temperature on the package was 84 degrees. Tried both the Corsair 4x32gb 3200mhz CL16 kit and the G.Skill 3200mhz  Ripjaws 4x16gb kit. Docp/XMP works for both. Enabling High-performance mode with stock 2133mhz ram gets me from 34 sec to 30 sec in Corona bench while enabling XMP on the Corsair ram gets me to 29 sec with 128gb ram. On G.Skill got 28sec with 64gb will try populating all 8 slots to see if I get a worse result. This is all of course without OC since I am still waiting for the water block.

Don't mind the mess in the background :) Will post some more photos when the loop is completed :).

2020-02-03, 19:35:11
Reply #846

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
What is high-performance mode? Windows power settings? Or some bios auto-overclock?

84C on Cinebench in open-case loop is pretty damn terrible ;- ). I don't think there are more arguments needed why it should be avoided. But people will still buy it so what..

This new 300W DTP Air cooler from Zelman looks pretty solid! Wish that was a TR4 version,  https://www.kitguru.net/components/leo-waldock/zalman-cnps20x-and-cnps17x-noctua-look-out/

Yeah this one is really nice (in performance...because it's absolutely ugliest fans ever). The new DH-15 (16?) will have 1 more heatpipe (or two for TR4 sized chip), and will be either on par with this or even better. It's just too far away..

2020-02-03, 19:45:10
Reply #847

Vuk

• Active Users
    • View Profile
High performance in windows power settings yes. 84C with a closed case. I expected this but none the less wanted to test the parts out before the "real" cooling arrived :).
Can't imagine going with this during summer. We got 20 to 21 C ambient right now in the office, during summer it's crazy hot...

The PC is a beast can't wait to try some real-world use. Single-core on stock goes to 4.5Ghz eats my ex I9 for breakfast :D

2020-02-03, 19:50:49
Reply #848

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
How does it feel in "impossible to measure" "snazziness" when using Photoshop or so? :- )

I am asking because there are already odd reports where people feel the systems are still sluggish in Adobe apps (in terms of perceptible lag, not computation).
I didn't test the 3950X I built for our modeler, I just installed it, benchmarked and gave it to her so I can't do any comparisons.

2020-02-03, 19:57:57
Reply #849

Vuk

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Got one of the colleagues on the 3950x for a month already he had nothing to say thus far and he is working with Adobe on a daily basis. He was on an i9 before like I was.
None the less to me Photoshop always felt super slow since I like to keep tons of smart objects around :).

2020-02-03, 22:58:38
Reply #850

Nejc Kilar

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My personal website
So you guys have really been at it, major kudos for all the builds and the information shared!

I'm kind of wondering myself, what would be the "consensus" of the top options to cool a 3970x/3990x on air and right now? Seems like most of these CPUs go into the mid 70s range on air which seems high for ~24/7 operation and having longevity in mind :)
Nejc Kilar | chaos-corona.com
Educational Content Creator | contact us

2020-02-03, 23:32:04
Reply #851

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
The new DH-15 (16?) will have 1 more heatpipe (or two for TR4 sized chip), and will be either on par with this or even better. It's just too far away..

And probably will cost $150...
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2020-02-04, 03:49:04
Reply #852

danio1011

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Ever since I dropped my memory from 3600 to 3200 my 3970x has been rock solid for days on end of rendering using the 14s. 

Also as a side note regarding speed, I don't normally pay attention to the 'Stats' page for anything other than noise, but I've been watching rays per second since upgrading and had an identical scene going on my 1950x (slightly overclocked) and my 3970x at stock.  The 1950x was in the range of 3 million and the 3970x was over 9 mill.  I've also noticed things like loading HDRI's are noticeably faster on the 3970x.  Really pleased thus far, makes my life (and work) better.

2020-02-04, 16:16:27
Reply #853

lupaz

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I am asking because there are already odd reports where people feel the systems are still sluggish in Adobe apps (in terms of perceptible lag, not computation).
I didn't test the 3950X I built for our modeler, I just installed it, benchmarked and gave it to her so I can't do any comparisons.

I'm having no issues with Adobe apps and 3950x.

2020-02-04, 23:28:59
Reply #854

hldemi

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Just get latest adobe programs. I fint illustrator 2020 around 6 times faster than 2016 on my 3960x