Author Topic: Threadripper & Ryzen only builds (3rd Gen starts on page 50)  (Read 520287 times)

2019-06-25, 19:31:55
Reply #450

engiu

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Post a photo when you get it and start building :- ) It's great looking board.

Yes it's gorgeous! So this is the final selection:

CPU: Ryzen 2990wx
MB: Asus ROG Zenith Extreme Alpha
Cooler: Enermax LiqTech II 360 RGB
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 PC3000Mhz 64GB
PSU: Corsair RM850x
GC: Asus ROG Strix RTX2060
Case: Fractal Design R6 GunMetal USB-C
Storage: Samsung M2 SSD NVMe 970 EVO Plus 500GB

Hope it'll get the job done!;)

2019-06-26, 11:54:25
Reply #451

engiu

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Post a photo when you get it and start building :- ) It's great looking board.

Yes it's gorgeous! So this is the final selection:

CPU: Ryzen 2990wx
MB: Asus ROG Zenith Extreme Alpha
Cooler: Enermax LiqTech II 360 RGB
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 PC3000Mhz 64GB
PSU: Corsair RM850x
GC: Asus ROG Strix RTX2060
Case: Fractal Design R6 GunMetal USB-C
Storage: Samsung M2 SSD NVMe 970 EVO Plus 500GB

Hope it'll get the job done!;)

I thought that was better to take the Enermax, because I really don't like the shitty brown fan of the Noctua and it gives you pretty the same performance of Noctua (although I thought it was better being a liquid system)...but yesterday I saw a comparison between Noctua and two liquid cooler systems (not by Enermax), Noctua was better both from a noise and thermal point of view.

2019-06-26, 12:57:01
Reply #452

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
This is actually very tricky, here is brief breakdown:

Noctua NH-D15, and even UH-14S, destroy 90perc. of AIO loops. That's because slim radiator of poor design, terribly weak Asetec pump, narrow tubing,etc...
NH-D15 can currently dissipate roughly 320W of heat, at full RPM (1500), UH-14S 250W. This is for regular platforms like AMD AM4 and Intel LGA1151.

For big platform like AMD TR4, only few of the above coolers are available because you need full heatspreader coverage, so those tests also often include adapted coolers and those of course, perform terrible.

But even for TR4, only two stand-out coolers are available, UH-14S TR4 (D15 will be available in Q1/2020...sadly) and Enermax Liqtech II. The former still dissipates only 250W, so good enough for not overclocking the chip.
Enermax claims it can dissipate up to 500W.

Both of these are theoretical bullshit numbers. With good case ambient and airflow, Noctua UH-14S TR4 could dissipate in peaks up to 300W at 1500RPM. Enermax on other hand, is using 2300RPM, which will sound like tornado when placed next to radiotor (most of noise is not from fans, but air turbulence through pressure).
If you would equilize these coolers for accoustic performance, i.e how much do they perform at 30dB, it would be like 1500RPM for Noctua and 1200 RPM for Enermax (rough approximations, depends on position, case,etc..) but Enermax would ultimately still win, giving you maybe 8-10C better Delta (temperature difference over ambient).

So AIO is the winner this time, but it's only this particular AIO (Enermax), no other, and only on this specific platform, TR4. There are no universal rules.

Next year, the clear winner will be new NH-D15 TR4, and it will come in full black :- ) heatsink+fans.

« Last Edit: 2019-06-26, 14:10:52 by Juraj Talcik »
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2019-06-26, 14:42:51
Reply #453

engiu

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thank you to your informations!
Black is so cool indeed, however I'll go with Enermax. I'm going to place the order, hope to remember how to assemble a PC...It has been so many years since I assembled one!

2019-06-26, 14:51:03
Reply #454

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Black is so cool indeed, however I'll go with Enermax. I'm going to place the order, hope to remember how to assemble a PC...It has been so many years since I assembled one!

You will be good because TR4 is 'stupid-proof' platform :- ). The pins are not on the expensive chip, but on motherboard, so you cannot destroy the CPU accidently...  And there is also tray into which the chip slides first...it's very LEGO like, probably the easiest platform to build. You can have both hands left and you will still be unable to make any mistake.

Only the thermal paste is bit hassle because the heatspreader is so large that single blob doesn't work (doesn't work so well..). You can do AMD's suggested "X" method (two crossed lines), or 5 small blobs. Or if you feel like pro, you can put on gloves and spread thin layer manually, but the first two methods are good enough and very easy to do.
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models

2019-06-26, 22:33:11
Reply #455

psanitra

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • NeEmotion.net
That new NH-D15 looks really good! I`ll definitely try one of those when i get the chance. 
On the other hand, dissipating 400W into the case...., not something to take lightly.
Noemotion.net - www.noemotion.net
Peter Sanitra - www.psanitra.com
Noemotionhdrs.net - www.noemotionhdrs.net

2019-06-27, 17:34:03
Reply #456

engiu

• Active Users
    • View Profile

You will be good because TR4 is 'stupid-proof' platform :- ). The pins are not on the expensive chip, but on motherboard, so you cannot destroy the CPU accidently...  And there is also tray into which the chip slides first...it's very LEGO like, probably the easiest platform to build. You can have both hands left and you will still be unable to make any mistake.

Only the thermal paste is bit hassle because the heatspreader is so large that single blob doesn't work (doesn't work so well..). You can do AMD's suggested "X" method (two crossed lines), or 5 small blobs. Or if you feel like pro, you can put on gloves and spread thin layer manually, but the first two methods are good enough and very easy to do.

Ok, I placed the order, everything sold and shipped by Amazon, only the CPU from another shop so I'm more comfortable with the warranty.
I can't wait to assemble it!

2019-07-04, 16:14:19
Reply #457

engiu

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi guys, here's some pics!
34° in idle, 57° full load! Is it good?

Thank you for your help guys ;)

2019-07-04, 18:21:35
Reply #458

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Looks fantastic ! Simple and to point.

What are the fan RPMs under full load on default auto-settings ?

Right now you have more negative pressure in the case, if you find it gets bit too dusty, you can add one more fan to the front to get more positive pressure into the case, or you can tape the pci brackets to shut them off (but that could add temperature to the gpu).

2019-07-04, 19:19:56
Reply #459

engiu

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Looks fantastic ! Simple and to point.

What are the fan RPMs under full load on default auto-settings ?

Right now you have more negative pressure in the case, if you find it gets bit too dusty, you can add one more fan to the front to get more positive pressure into the case, or you can tape the pci brackets to shut them off (but that could add temperature to the gpu).

In idle they are between 1100 and 1200rpm, under full load they didn't go over 1700rmp with 51° max (maybe because the room is less hot now). I updated the BIOS but I'm still in Windows 1809. Good data?

P.S.: I paid attention to the thermal paste, I used Thermal Grizzly!
« Last Edit: 2019-07-05, 09:24:58 by engiu »

2019-07-08, 08:44:08
Reply #460

Nejc Kilar

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My personal website
So... The reviews are out and Zen 2 looks quite impressive imho :) The 12-core variant scores 72s in Corona Benchmark which basically makes it as fast as the 1950x (16 core). Even core for core results look great and the clocks haven risen a bit which is always nice. Cinebench R15 for the 12 core part is around ~3150 points (205 single threaded) although I have not done the math yet if that translates 1:1 to Intel CPUs there.

Productivity things like WinRAR and the like have also seen a fairly big boost and AMD now leads in certain (not all though!) traditionally Intel favored tests so I'm not sure how Intel is going to react - given the performance alone Zen 2 is great but when you factor in the price its even harder to recommend anything from the 9900k to the 9980xe (once the 16 core zen 2 part get released) imho. I guess Intel's HEDT became mainstream somehow.

Overall from what I've read, Zen 2 seems to be a very well rounded CPU - They iterated and improved on Zen 1's weaknesses and retained the core advantage compared to the competition. That said, for 240hz gaming the 9700k/9900k seems to still be the way to go. I could be wrong but my impression is that AMD actually more or less has the IPC lead now but Intel still has those 9900k parts clocked higher and so they do retain single threaded lead - Not for everything anymore though.

Given the chiplet design I am fairly optimistic a lot of this performance could translate very well over to the high core count Threadripper line. I mean this is crazy, a couple of years ago you'd pay 6000$ for near 4000 cinebench points and now the 16 core 3950x for ~800$ will be in the vicinity of that - without a glaring weakness. Man, is that great or what? :P

What are your thoughts peeps?
« Last Edit: 2019-07-08, 15:46:40 by nkilar »
Nejc Kilar | chaos-corona.com
Educational Content Creator | contact us

2019-07-08, 19:25:04
Reply #461

JoeVallard

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Joe Vallard
For anyone that lives in the US near a microcenter they are have a huge price cut on the 2970wx for $750, if you also live near a staples you might be able to go to staples a do their 110% price match which drops this thing under $700.
https://www.microcenter.com/product/513570/ryzen-threadripper-2970wx-30ghz-24-core-tr4-boxed-processor

And the 3900x is throwing up some interesting numbers. Hopefully we get some leaks of the 3950x before September of practical overclocks. And more importantly hopefully we get some info on next gen THREADRIPPER!!!

2019-07-08, 19:47:05
Reply #462

lupaz

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Wow. Thanks Joe.
That's the same price as the Ryzen 9 3950x, which I was gonna go for.
But now that I see this price for the 2970wx...I don't know.
Anyone see any reason to wait for the 3950x vs just buying the 2970wx at the same price?

2019-07-08, 21:28:38
Reply #463

Nejc Kilar

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My personal website
Well, if you need PCI-E lanes and absolutely prioritize the all core / thread power I think thats a really awesome deal! Personally I'm tempted for the 2990wx but I am intrigued by the single thread performance uplift of Zen 2 plus the awesomeness of them potentially raising the core count.

Remember, 2970wx has some of the similar drawbacks that the 2990wx has due to the way that architecture works. Personally I quite highly value a better single core performance but obviously multi threaded performance is still number 1 priority so I guess I'm waiting for Zen 2 Threadripper. I know that is going to come at a premium price compared to the 2970wx / 2990wx. Without a doubt though I still think those two CPUs are really great value - especially if you can get the 2970wx for 750$ but I guess the improvements are looking good enough for me to wait out.

If I manage to be patient :P
Nejc Kilar | chaos-corona.com
Educational Content Creator | contact us

2019-07-08, 21:54:35
Reply #464

lupaz

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Yes. The single core performance is very important to me too.
I don't think the 2970wx will cut it for me.

Thanks.