Author Topic: Threadripper & Ryzen only builds (3rd Gen starts on page 50)  (Read 543048 times)

2024-02-29, 18:10:06
Reply #1500

dfcorona

• Active Users
    • View Profile
700Watts at 95C degree is not bad at all with just AIO cooler :- ). So what performance did you gain?
You can try 600Watts manual limit.
I tried it real quick for like half the benchmark, but didn't let the full benchmark finish since the motherboard was beeping like hell at me.  Corona was reporting around a 37k. There is a temp limit I can set in overclocking, not sure if I should go that route or try by wattage like you say.

2024-02-29, 20:13:08
Reply #1501

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
It's the same ultimately, like setting a pass or time limit for rendering :- ) Temp limit sounds nice on paper, but could be quite fluctuating. Watt limit should still adhere to temp limit since that's hardcoded into the firmware (otherwise our PCs would burn).

10perc. rendering improvement for 2X the power draw and massive temp spike might not be worth it though. Looks like the 350W was quite smartly chosen. Thank you for testing it out though :- ).

Nice build, looks like worthy investment.
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2024-02-29, 20:22:41
Reply #1502

dfcorona

• Active Users
    • View Profile
It's the same ultimately, like setting a pass or time limit for rendering :- ) Temp limit sounds nice on paper, but could be quite fluctuating. Watt limit should still adhere to temp limit since that's hardcoded into the firmware (otherwise our PCs would burn).

10perc. rendering improvement for 2X the power draw and massive temp spike might not be worth it though. Looks like the 350W was quite smartly chosen. Thank you for testing it out though :- ).

Nice build, looks like worthy investment.
Thanks, I'll give it another try soon. See where it gets me and I'll post some benchmarks and temps. Even 10 percent is kind of worth it if temps are good for long animation renderings. I will be building another 7980x system soon also, decided 2 of them is a better investment compared to one 7995wx.

2024-02-29, 21:11:04
Reply #1503

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Damn, nice. I guess a lot of well paying but too long rendering projects are in pipeline :- )? I don't do any animations, so for me new big PCs are just "nice to have" but no longer really sound investment.

Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models

2024-03-01, 14:43:43
Reply #1504

dfcorona

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Here are some overclocks.  One at 6400MHZ RAM and also set temp max to 80c and pulling a 39k, but I would get a loud continuous beep from the motherboard. I then set from Expo I (DOCP I) to Manual and set just the RAM back to 4800MHZ and also set temp max to 70c and I get no continuous beep anymore and pull a 38k.  You can really hear the VRM fans ramping up. Not sure what the Beep is telling me, I'm not all that great at overclocking to be honest... never really overclocked before with my previous systems because there wasn't much to gain, but with the new 7000 series there are some really good gains. Not sure where I feel safe with the Temps yet, I know you just don't want to go over 95C. But for continuous rendering I don't want to be close to that either.

2024-03-04, 11:56:36
Reply #1505

Nejc Kilar

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My personal website
Here are some overclocks.  One at 6400MHZ RAM and also set temp max to 80c and pulling a 39k, but I would get a loud continuous beep from the motherboard. I then set from Expo I (DOCP I) to Manual and set just the RAM back to 4800MHZ and also set temp max to 70c and I get no continuous beep anymore and pull a 38k.  You can really hear the VRM fans ramping up. Not sure what the Beep is telling me, I'm not all that great at overclocking to be honest... never really overclocked before with my previous systems because there wasn't much to gain, but with the new 7000 series there are some really good gains. Not sure where I feel safe with the Temps yet, I know you just don't want to go over 95C. But for continuous rendering I don't want to be close to that either.

On my Zen 3 Epyc render node (Supermicro board) the continuous beep means VRMs are overheating :\
Nejc Kilar | chaos-corona.com
Educational Content Creator | contact us

2024-03-05, 08:57:56
Reply #1506

Nejc Kilar

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My personal website
@dfcorona, just thought of this. I used to have PBO enabled on my 3970x workstation but for whenever I wasn't behind the computer and it was doing over night renders I used a customized Windows power profile on it. I went into the balanced profile and changed the max CPU performance target to 99%. That effectively clocked it down to its base clocks which sure was slower than PBO boosting but hey, went from ~90c to 70c :)

Maybe worth trying out on your end as well?

2024-03-15, 17:05:30
Reply #1507

dfcorona

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I actually had a much better overclocking and temps now keeping everything at default and then just enabling AI Overclocking.  I have some shots of benchmarks and temps I'll post. But right now the monitor hooked up to that system broke so I have to wait.

2024-04-14, 20:51:43
Reply #1508

Nejc Kilar

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My personal website
@dfcorona got any updates maybe? Totally curious to hear how the 7980x has been treating you.

By the way, I have just noticed that roughly since the start of the year the top of the line 96 core Zen 4 Genoa is being heavily discounted (and other CPUs too). A new 9654 is commonly available at below 6000€ and I even found stores that sell them for 2500€. They used to cost like 10.000€.

I mean it is still a lot of money but we are talking about 96 cores that seemingly go above 3ghz with all cores. These are now basically 50% off.

2024-04-14, 21:28:48
Reply #1509

dfcorona

• Active Users
    • View Profile
@dfcorona got any updates maybe? Totally curious to hear how the 7980x has been treating you.

By the way, I have just noticed that roughly since the start of the year the top of the line 96 core Zen 4 Genoa is being heavily discounted (and other CPUs too). A new 9654 is commonly available at below 6000€ and I even found stores that sell them for 2500€. They used to cost like 10.000€.

I mean it is still a lot of money but we are talking about 96 cores that seemingly go above 3ghz with all cores. These are now basically 50% off.
I'm in the US, but I would buy a 96 core at 50% off.  Where did you find that? I saw people on eBay selling 7980X for like 3,500... But I'm a little sus about that. Sorry I haven't posted in a while, just had a new baby, and it's my first so it's a learning experience. But I got some really good updates on the 7980X. Pulling over a 39k on Corona bench and staying under 80c. I'll post results when I get home.

2024-04-15, 08:34:54
Reply #1510

Nejc Kilar

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My personal website
I'm in the US, but I would buy a 96 core at 50% off.  Where did you find that? I saw people on eBay selling 7980X for like 3,500... But I'm a little sus about that. Sorry I haven't posted in a while, just had a new baby, and it's my first so it's a learning experience. But I got some really good updates on the 7980X. Pulling over a 39k on Corona bench and staying under 80c. I'll post results when I get home.

Oh duuude, congratulations!! That's quite the news! May the learning experience be a linear curve :)

US you say? Well Newegg has one listed for below 5k. Here is the link:
https://www.newegg.com/p/14U-00ZT-031U5

I'm looking at a chart that Supermicro provides and they've been discounted like this since basically the first week of this year. I have no idea why and even though these are clearly still expensive products they are also almost comically cheap at the same time lol.

I am beyond tempted myself. A single 96 core can replace and possibly even outperform two Zen 3 64 core Epycs at a much lower power consumption. Sheesh.

2024-04-15, 15:38:50
Reply #1511

dfcorona

• Active Users
    • View Profile

Oh duuude, congratulations!! That's quite the news! May the learning experience be a linear curve :)

US you say? Well Newegg has one listed for below 5k. Here is the link:
https://www.newegg.com/p/14U-00ZT-031U5

I'm looking at a chart that Supermicro provides and they've been discounted like this since basically the first week of this year. I have no idea why and even though these are clearly still expensive products they are also almost comically cheap at the same time lol.

I am beyond tempted myself. A single 96 core can replace and possibly even outperform two Zen 3 64 core Epycs at a much lower power consumption. Sheesh.
Thank you! It's been great but need sleep! So yesterday I though you was talking about the 7995WX 96 core, was reading it on my phone and like I said I need sleep, lol. The EPYC 9654 96 core seem not to be very good at all, they only pull a 31k on Corona Benchmark and that's with 2x AMD EPYC 9654 96 core CPU's.  my 7980x at stock pulls a 34k.  But from what I've seen I do think there is some issues with Corona and 2x CPU's.

I got the best Overclock so far by keeping everything stock and only changing the CPU core ratio to AI Overclock and setting a temp limit of 80C.  This gave me a 39k in Corona Bench, of course I can use a higher max temp limit and get a better score also. But I think for constant rendering staying under 80c is really good, not sure how much more wear and tear on the CPU there might be if I run a max limit at 90C.  With the next system I'm going to try a better cooling system and see where it gets me.

Before I kept getting a beeping or constant beep if I overclocked to much. I could not figure out what the issue was. I was thinking VRM overheating but on this motherboard they are suppose to be really good with good cooling. This had me scratching my head for a few day. Then I realized what it was...... It wasn't even the computer, lol... it was the APC Battery Backup system behind it. The overclock was pulling so much wattage that the APC UPS was alerting me with a beeping or constant beep. Face Palm!

2024-04-15, 17:33:54
Reply #1512

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
wear and tear on the CPU

Never worry about this. By the time this happens, the CPU has morally aged beyond usability. No reason to worry about CPU lasting 15 years instead of 20.

2024-04-18, 13:14:00
Reply #1513

Nejc Kilar

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My personal website

I was waiting for the "I need moar sleep" comment when you broke then news :) We just got a dog recently and while it is clearly not the same as having a child boy did I not sleep for a week or two. Still recovering lol.

Yeah the CPUs I meant are the Epyc ones and lately we are really putting in a lot of focus on making sure the performance with these system is as it should be.

Still, I don't quite understand why the top of the line chips seem to be discounted by roughly 50% at most stores I'm looking at. Great time to buy though lol.

As for your 7980x, dang, that looks sweet! I'm currently contemplating getting one so all your feedback here is super duper useful. Thank you!

2024-04-18, 14:46:58
Reply #1514

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Perhaps not much else to do with left-over retail stock since most systems are built as all-in-one solutions. There might also be quite less interest in them compared to sourcing any available GPU stock.