Author Topic: Need to adjust the directions of a wood texture  (Read 2124 times)

2020-12-08, 18:48:20

tony_ka

• Users
    • View Profile
Hi, i'm newbie...and couldn't find any answer when looked through all the forum.
How do I adjust correct directions of a texture (wood) in object with perpendicular planes? Its a solid object.
Thanks for answer!

2020-12-08, 20:49:40
Reply #1

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
Hi,

It seems that you need to learn UV mapping basics first. Youtube is full of this kind of tutorials.

I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2020-12-10, 14:39:50
Reply #2

MAY3D

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • MAY3D Portfolio
As a quick workaround (whilst you procrastinate and put off learning UV unwrapping because it doesn't seem that important yet...) I sometimes do the following:

1. Make sure your object is an editable poly, or apply an edit poly modifier
2. Select the sub-object element for the part you want to edit
3. Rotate around the axis relevant to the wood grain you need to change
4. Leave sub-object mode and rotate at object level back to the original position

This will effectively alter the objects UVW coordinates, I use this process a lot when I have a triplanar wood material instanced across multiple objects, I find it quicker than unwrapping everything.
3D Generalist #OpenToWork

2020-12-11, 02:22:53
Reply #3

agentdark45

• Active Users
    • View Profile
As a quick workaround (whilst you procrastinate and put off learning UV unwrapping because it doesn't seem that important yet...) I sometimes do the following:

1. Make sure your object is an editable poly, or apply an edit poly modifier
2. Select the sub-object element for the part you want to edit
3. Rotate around the axis relevant to the wood grain you need to change
4. Leave sub-object mode and rotate at object level back to the original position

This will effectively alter the objects UVW coordinates, I use this process a lot when I have a triplanar wood material instanced across multiple objects, I find it quicker than unwrapping everything.

Hold up, does the Triplanar map read local axis/UVW direction of sub-objects? This would be a lifesaver!
Vray who?