Author Topic: Impossible to match real photo with 3d camera  (Read 1540 times)

2023-04-28, 00:30:00

Image Complete

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Our Website
Hello,

I have an issue that drives me crazy... I am trying to match a real photo I took with a 3d camera.
I know what camera was used (mine, canon RP), I know the lens was used (tilt/shift 17mm from canon), I know the spot from which the photo was taken because I took it, but still if I set Focal length to 17mm and film width to 36mm the result is night and day...The problem is not about the shift effect of the lens, the problem is that 17mm at 36mm is much wider than the actual photo.
The 3d camera matches approx. at 26mm focal length. Have a look at the attachments. Any idea why that happens?

Thanks!
We offer Visual Communication

2023-04-28, 10:51:18
Reply #1

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
Try to google sensor size, or crop factor of your camera. Many consumer grade cameras from Canon has smaller sensor (their crop factor is somewhere between 1.5 - 1.6), which means that lens' field of view is cropped and one needs to multiply actual focal length by camera's crop factor to know effective focal length. 17mm times 1.5 is about 26 mm so that's likely the case for your camera model.
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2023-04-28, 13:22:51
Reply #2

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Outside of what Romullus said (but it doesn't apply here since 17 T/S Canon is full-frame lens and it really doesn't work adapted well and you mention 'RP' by which you mean the entry-level FX EOS RP which is full-frame camera), there are few additional specifics/complications that only affect Tilt/Shift lens:

1) Tilt/Shift is somewhat unique to lens design, there is no guarantee what 3dsMax does will fully replicate it within same proportions of distortion. There can be small differences in total height of things in frame.
2) Don't use both "Shift" and "Tilt" at same time, they do the same when it comes to perspective distortion (and in reality the differ in how they affect DOF plane but that doesn't matter to us here).

Since you know that Tilt/Shift lens was used, don't use Tilt at all, uncheck the "automatic vertical tilt" as well, so that you don't accidentically introduce another variant if your camera isn't perfectly straight-on looking.

Lastly, most important, sensor ratio is 3:2 (36mm x 24mm) and you have to account that in Focal Length (or Field of view calculations) when you change from horizontal to vertical framing. Use 17mm x 1,5 = 25,5mm.
(Consecutively, 90 degrees of horizontal field of view is only 60 degrees of vertical field of view)

Romullus gave you correct number but for incorrect reason :- ).
« Last Edit: 2023-04-28, 15:21:34 by Juraj »
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2023-04-28, 14:04:50
Reply #3

MiroM

• Corona Team
  • Users
    • View Profile
The problem is that we calculate FOV from the horizontal size but you shot the image in the portrait mode. Changing the sensor width to 24mm (its physical height but logical width) should fix this.

2023-04-29, 10:16:08
Reply #4

Image Complete

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Our Website
Thank you all!
Indeed I should count as sensor width its height as long as I took vertical photos.
Actually, I thought of it while I sleeping (heh...)
Thank you for the extra information too!

Regards,
Christos

We offer Visual Communication

2023-06-05, 18:46:26
Reply #5

arqrenderz

• Active Users
  • https://www.behance.net/Arqrenderz1
    • View Profile
    • arqrenderz
How does it work for Drone photography? for example the Mavic 2 pro  (l1d-20c) has a "1" sensor " 13.2mm x 8.8mm and a focal length of  10.3mm according to  the web and the exif data
How can i calculate these ??

2023-06-05, 19:12:42
Reply #6

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
How does it work for Drone photography? for example the Mavic 2 pro  (l1d-20c) has a "1" sensor " 13.2mm x 8.8mm and a focal length of  10.3mm according to  the web and the exif data
How can i calculate these ??

Set film width to 13.2mm (or 8.8mm if you are recording in portrait mode - but I hope you aren't :D ).
I doubt that 10.3mm is the correct number for focal length, so most likely you will need to convert it. I used this tool: https://mmcalc.com/custom
The resulting number is 27.3.

This seems to be confirmed by the info I found online when searching for l1d-20c: field of view ~77 deg, focal length 35 mm equivalent: 28 mm
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2023-06-06, 15:15:41
Reply #7

arqrenderz

• Active Users
  • https://www.behance.net/Arqrenderz1
    • View Profile
    • arqrenderz
i would love for the AI to take on these tasks, would gladly leave these photo matching to the computer ...