Author Topic: half float 16 bit or full float 32 bits EXR or tiff ?  (Read 35719 times)

2015-02-10, 16:19:29
Reply #15

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Photoshop is different - since ps is neither able to work linear nor respect gamma of alphas or able to do predivision you're lost anyways, no matter which format you're using...

A big plus for Deadclown to plow through this bro-science :- )

I don't even have energy anymore to explain the difference of linear files...

But regarding Photoshop not working linearly or respect gamma, I would want to say that's also incorrect. While the options for working linearly in PS are still limited, it's more than enough for basic compositing and color correction.
PS opens linear files like .exr completely fines, switches to 32bit/Linear mode and the layer modes work in linear math (those that can). What do you find problematic ?

Since CC was introduced, there were great improvements in this regards, like layers, alphas,etc.. It's not perfect, but it works.
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2015-02-10, 16:53:32
Reply #16

racoonart

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • racoon-artworks
mhhhh... looks like Photoshop is indeed loading the alpha linear now, so I don't seem to be informed very well. Tested an exr here and it seems fine.  (Edit: I did not yet test non-linear image formats :P)
An example of what I find problematic is that you can't do basic pre-divide / post-multiply actions (I'm not talking about remove black matte), so I'm extremely limited in what I can do compositing-wise. Sure, I can stack up all essential corona REs but that's pretty much it - If I have to combine it with something else, this is where it stops. Even color corrections are kind of limited since I have to unpremultiply my passes before I do any color corrections. I'd expect that the curve and levels etc tools all have their internal predivide/postmultiply routine (which I doubt...) but as soon as I do it myself with layer blending or a brush or anything I NEED to unpremultiply first.

But I must admit that photoshop is a topic which drives me crazy anyways (not only because of lwf)... I'm maybe not the right person to discuss this matter in an objective way :D
« Last Edit: 2015-02-10, 16:58:44 by DeadClown »
Any sufficiently advanced bug is indistinguishable from a feature.

2015-02-10, 17:05:13
Reply #17

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
No you're right, it's very limited in this regard, but for us mortals/simpletons :- D simply toying around with still images, it does the job even when it comes to linear formats :- ) Esp. CC made this far more pleasant experience compared to CS6, so looks like they're listening to people outside of pure 2D graphics/photography fields. It's strange they're no able to merge the toolset capability from AE to PS, that would be perfect.
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2019-02-13, 23:12:57
Reply #18

Peter Tristann

• Active Users
    • View Profile
mhhhh... looks like Photoshop is indeed loading the alpha linear now, so I don't seem to be informed very well. Tested an exr here and it seems fine.  (Edit: I did not yet test non-linear image formats :P)
An example of what I find problematic is that you can't do basic pre-divide / post-multiply actions (I'm not talking about remove black matte), so I'm extremely limited in what I can do compositing-wise. Sure, I can stack up all essential corona REs but that's pretty much it - If I have to combine it with something else, this is where it stops. Even color corrections are kind of limited since I have to unpremultiply my passes before I do any color corrections. I'd expect that the curve and levels etc tools all have their internal predivide/postmultiply routine (which I doubt...) but as soon as I do it myself with layer blending or a brush or anything I NEED to unpremultiply first.

But I must admit that photoshop is a topic which drives me crazy anyways (not only because of lwf)... I'm maybe not the right person to discuss this matter in an objective way :D

And has something changed in your approach after the PS 2018/19 exit? Do you still think that when it comes to uncompromising high-end post-processing with Corona RE, it's just AE or Nuke? :) I've been sitting in the graphics for about 20 years and thoughts with a difference in the initial image for clients are really invisible :) Postprocessing in AE or Nuke is associated with 2-3x longer process than in PS

2019-03-05, 10:48:55
Reply #19

Romas Noreika

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • romasnoreika
Open EXR 16bit more than enough. Works every time.

32bit only if you need that and the software will support it.

But 16bit you will not have any problems with masking, speed, size and so on.

Been using this for a lot of years. :)

32bit is sometimes usefull for people who dont make the lighting work 100% in max (raw render) and then you can really play with different exposures in photoshop and collapse it to 16 bit. With 32 bit you will have a lot of info in the image you can go crazy with it.
RN