Author Topic: First test renders on Sketchup  (Read 127342 times)

2016-08-28, 17:24:46
Reply #90

Ang

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Another test.  I'd like to have more flexibility to adjust the output size of a render. At the moment  I can´t adjust a vertical size for example. Don´t let me exceed the limits of the sketchup viewer.
When I save the render the first time I can, but If I try to return to save again I can`t. It has happen to me with differents scenes.
« Last Edit: 2016-08-28, 19:28:07 by Angel Galera »
2 xeon 2658 / i7 5820K /i7 3770

2016-08-28, 21:58:52
Reply #91

Ludvik Koutny

• VIP
  • Active Users
  • Just another user
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
That's a good point. I could probably add some warning when such materials are found during scene parsing.

Majority of SketchUp users are not and never will be interested in getting technical with the renderer. Most of them do not understand the concept of albedo and why it ever should affect rendertimes or realism in their scenes. They are not really 3D artists, mostly just architects or students (or often both). Also, they will in many cases use already premade sketchup assets, and since sketchup by default doesn't come with any physically based renderer, they will almost always contain simple absolute colors, like 255 white.

It will be very hard to try to educate entire sketchup community and then try to convince them all to manually edit and fix materials on every premade asset they bring in. I would suggest to simply add "Global Diffuse Multiplier" value to render settings, have it enabled by default scaling all diffuse colors and textures to 0.8 (80% of their original intensity), and provide a nice tooltip explaining what it does and that advanced users who have experience with physically based rendering and are willing to create all their materials from scratch can turn it off.

You will see, that suddenly, most of them will start to report both faster rendertimes and better realism of their scenes. It's crazy how much can wrong albedo ruin your scene (let alone rendertimes):

2016-08-28, 22:45:13
Reply #92

jiminy-billy-bob

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I completely agree.
That's what Thea did as well, with great success. Vray did not, and many users don't understand this effect.

2016-08-29, 17:03:13
Reply #93

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
That's a good point. I could probably add some warning when such materials are found during scene parsing.
Majority of SketchUp users are not and never will be interested in getting technical with the renderer. Most of them do not understand the concept of albedo and why it ever should affect rendertimes or realism in their scenes. They are not really 3D artists, mostly just architects or students (or often both). Also, they will in many cases use already premade sketchup assets, and since sketchup by default doesn't come with any physically based renderer, they will almost always contain simple absolute colors, like 255 white.

It will be very hard to try to educate entire sketchup community and then try to convince them all to manually edit and fix materials on every premade asset they bring in.
How do you know that? And I'm not (just) nibbling here. I am just curious if you have some experience with SU users.

I would suggest to simply add "Global Diffuse Multiplier" value to render settings, have it enabled by default scaling all diffuse colors and textures to 0.8 (80% of their original intensity)
Hmm... Maybe not all colors, only those exceeding a certain value?

You will see, that suddenly, most of them will start to report both faster rendertimes and better realism of their scenes. It's crazy how much can wrong albedo ruin your scene (let alone rendertimes):
Are you sure? ;)
https://forum.corona-renderer.com/index.php/topic,12661.msg83301.html#msg83301
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2016-08-30, 00:53:27
Reply #94

jKLman

• Active Users
    • View Profile

It will be very hard to try to educate entire sketchup community and then try to convince them all to manually edit and fix materials on every premade asset they bring in.
How do you know that? And I'm not (just) nibbling here. I am just curious if you have some experience with SU users.

It depends how experience is the SU users. I do not totally agree. Some SU users came from different 3D softwares and had deep understanding of the rendering engine system before coming to SU.

As for me, with the new release, I need to report that the regular sampling control is missing in the render dialog.

For feature request, is it possible to add a region render button in the render setting that picks up a sketchup region then renders it?
I did see the render region in the corona render viewport but it will be good if we can do it in Sketchup viewport as an added feature so that we can select
area that we want to quick render.

Thanks.
"Jack of all trade, but messing up with 3D"
Blender 2.78 Corona Standalone 1.5 / 2016-10-24 Alpha
Win 10 64bit

2016-08-30, 12:24:02
Reply #95

jiminy-billy-bob

• Active Users
    • View Profile
It depends how experience is the SU users. I do not totally agree. Some SU users came from different 3D softwares and had deep understanding of the rendering engine system before coming to SU.
Some yes, and for those the option to turn off "Global Diffuse Multiplier" should be included.
But I agree with Rawalanche that the majority (not all) of Sketchup users don't understand the underlying technical stuff of a render engine. They just want pretty image as easily as possible. For them, pure white should render as they see a white wall in real life.

2016-08-30, 17:02:59
Reply #96

spadestick

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I have to disagree - firstly most sketchup users have not heard of Corona, it is definitely not mass market stuff like Vray, next, everything is definable / instructable by simple video tutorials and base setup scenes.

With regards to white, ever since I have caught wind of this lowered white value (from Max side of discussions, even though I am not a Max user), I have lowered the white values for a all materials.

I am ever ready to learn about materials, mapping, and displacement, HDRI whatever that Corona can throw at us, but it is still buggy at this point and not enough features to fully implement Corona properly.

2016-09-01, 12:39:48
Reply #97

Ang

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I´m agree with spadestick
2 xeon 2658 / i7 5820K /i7 3770

2016-09-01, 14:25:02
Reply #98

Ryuu

• Former Corona Team Member
  • Active Users
  • Michal
    • View Profile
The global multiplier sounds reasonable. It would be enabled by default, but experienced users should have no problem disabling it. For this reason I will probably implement it together with the functionality to set the current render settings as default, so that you wouldn't have to disable it for every scene you create.

As for me, with the new release, I need to report that the regular sampling control is missing in the render dialog.

This was done on purpose. From the latest release changelog:

• Sampling mode setting removed. According to the latest measurements, there was no actual performance gain once adaptivity kicks in.

If your experience proves otherwise, there is no problem putting it back. It was removed so that there are no unnecessary controls in the render settings.

2016-09-06, 16:46:25
Reply #99

jKLman

• Active Users
    • View Profile
The global multiplier sounds reasonable. It would be enabled by default, but experienced users should have no problem disabling it. For this reason I will probably implement it together with the functionality to set the current render settings as default, so that you wouldn't have to disable it for every scene you create.

This was done on purpose. From the latest release changelog:

• Sampling mode setting removed. According to the latest measurements, there was no actual performance gain once adaptivity kicks in.

If your experience proves otherwise, there is no problem putting it back. It was removed so that there are no unnecessary controls in the render settings.

Yeah, your are right, not that much contribution in reducing rendering time.
Latest release yesterday solves the issue that during rendering hidden object were also rendered.
Now its hidden.
"Jack of all trade, but messing up with 3D"
Blender 2.78 Corona Standalone 1.5 / 2016-10-24 Alpha
Win 10 64bit

2016-09-26, 19:25:04
Reply #100

jest0

• Users
    • View Profile
Happy to be on board with the beta testings...

I think at least 2 basic trays / toolboxes need to be created :

1. Corona materials toolbox (with along with emitter materials, SSS, combo materials, etc,).
2. Environment settings (HDRI skies, camera settings, sketchup's 2 point perspective camera match integration)

3. a possible future one could be batch rendering with time limit, plus DR network, and animation settings.

how do you put de HDRI map?

2016-11-30, 23:14:39
Reply #101

Ante Olic

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Kitchen for my mum. I hope you like it
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 930 @ 2,80GHz

2016-12-01, 15:33:20
Reply #102

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Kitchen for my mum. I hope you like it
Well, the most important thing is, does she like it? ;)
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2016-12-07, 14:41:07
Reply #103

Ante Olic

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Another one test...
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 930 @ 2,80GHz

2016-12-11, 08:12:47
Reply #104

Ang