Author Topic: Corona displacement  (Read 551 times)

2024-03-12, 23:18:57

Erich

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Does anyone have a tutorial (or can point me to one) on how to create a displacement and label effect on a bottle? I am looking for something like what is shown in the gallery (image attached). I know this is probably fairly easy to do, but as a newbie, I am have been struggling with this. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you. :)

2024-03-13, 12:13:02
Reply #1

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Can you explain what exactly you are having trouble with?
The bottle with a label in your example image could be done in a lot of ways. I think the easier would be:
- modelling the bottle with all the details such as the vertical "ribs" and a flat area for the label
- then applying a label either as faces with a different material ID, as separate geometry, or using a Corona Decal - https://docs.chaos.com/display/CRMAX/Corona+Decal
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2024-03-13, 12:22:51
Reply #2

Beanzvision

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Bengamin
    • View Profile
    • Cormats

2024-03-15, 06:58:24
Reply #3

Erich

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thanks for the tutorial links. Unfortunately he is using Cinema 4D and I am using 3ds Max, but I still enjoyed reading his tuts. :)

2024-03-15, 07:03:22
Reply #4

Erich

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Can you explain what exactly you are having trouble with?
The bottle with a label in your example image could be done in a lot of ways. I think the easier would be:
- modelling the bottle with all the details such as the vertical "ribs" and a flat area for the label
- then applying a label either as faces with a different material ID, as separate geometry, or using a Corona Decal - https://docs.chaos.com/display/CRMAX/Corona+Decal

My approach was to use displacement map for the texture on the bottle and was having difficulty getting it to work. I was able to get something I was happy with, but it involved considerable trial and error. I did use Corona decal for my label after creating a "void" in the displacement map where the displacement texture would be prevented from be applied to the bottle in the location of the label.

Thaks for your input. I do appreciate it. :)

2024-03-15, 11:56:00
Reply #5

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
I don't understand why use displacement here. For what exact purpose?
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2024-03-16, 01:21:33
Reply #6

Erich

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I don't understand why use displacement here. For what exact purpose?

I wanted to use a displacement map on my bottle as the displacement pattern was more complex than that shown in the image. It would have been very difficult to model the displacement into the glass model. I think using displacement maps is a better technique for this kind of modeling anyway, since it is much easier to change the pattern should a client require it (i.e.: I would not need to remodel the entire bottle).