Author Topic: Which V-Ray feature should we bring to Corona?  (Read 61215 times)

2017-09-03, 16:53:56
Reply #90

lupaz

• Active Users
    • View Profile
even my 64gb ram is screaming all the time...

64? really?
Maybe your textures are too big?

2017-09-03, 17:03:27
Reply #91

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
even my 64gb ram is screaming all the time...

64? really?
Maybe your textures are too big?

Off-topic..
That is partly true, I use a lot of high-res maps but the biggest issue is with few Corona features (particularly displacement) and one is due to Corona/3dsMax integration ( bloated cache that is not deallocated after render finishes, try rendering scene that takes 70perc. of memory twice after each other and cancel it and you will see...).
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2017-09-04, 10:30:04
Reply #92

Ryuu

• Former Corona Team Member
  • Active Users
  • Michal
    • View Profile
Bucket rendering, anyone? If I remember correctly, it greatly helps with reducing RAM consumption compared to rendering the whole whole image at once.

That's only true in single particular case, when certain geometry (in proxy) can be off-loaded and on-loaded when particular buckets aren't covering it on screen.
Buckets have been laid to forever rest and I am pretty sure are never coming back :- )

When you're doing high-res renders, the frame buffer may actually consume pretty high amount of memory (for example in a 8k render the beauty element alone consumes ~512 MB of RAM; in 30k render, it goes all the way up to ~6.7 GB). Doing a bucket rendering allows the renderer to offload most of the frame buffer to disk and keep only the currently rendered region in memory.

I wouldn't be so certain about buckets not coming back. I'm also not saying they will, but it is one possible way how to lower the memory usage.

2017-09-04, 14:18:16
Reply #93

pokoy

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Ah how could I miss that one, I meant to post it but totally forgot. What I'd love to see is the Curvature shader, but I'd also strongly suggest to improve current Vray's one since it's a bit too thin right now and make it a kick-ass curvature map. I mean this should be possible and beneficial to both camps?

2017-09-05, 12:05:11
Reply #94

Duron

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
VrayMaterialSelect
 - for layered materials such as car paints as render element - huge need for automotive users.

Advanced CarPaintShader
 - but an updated version we know from Vray. Take a look at the latest Autodesk VRED car paint shader where you can switch between 2-coated resp. 3-coated paint. The structure and the flakes behaviour is the best we know in the industry.

VRayStochasticFlakesMtl
 - huge need for automotive users

Hack for using lights only for reflections and vice versa (diff a. spec hightlights only)
 - maybe a special clearcoat layer which can be added to any layer mtl which reacts only for specular reflections and no specular highlights.
   For automotive users this is a big restriction. You can push diffuse and spec highlights by using 3ds max stock lights but these are point lights. There is a need for plane lights.
« Last Edit: 2017-09-05, 12:24:02 by Duron »

2017-09-05, 14:59:37
Reply #95

l.croxton

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Apologies if any of these are redundant and to be honest not really VRAY related.

1. When you drag an image into the editor it is automatically a corona bitmap...

2. If 1 is not possible can you at least make it so I can copy and then paste on the Corona Bitmap file path box so I am not having to go manually search for it.

3. Not sure if this was removed before or if it is just not possible but some sort of "bucket" where by you set the noise level and it will just go round and render it, just so I can get a quicker idea of quality... again I am sure this was removed/dismissed before with probably good reason.

4. Perhaps a slightly different material preview to be available. I work on a 4K screen and when enlarging the material preview to see it with any real clarity it really slows everything down. I know its my fault for having a rubbish PC lol but maybe a slightly more friendly material preview to be an option?

2017-09-05, 22:51:47
Reply #96

pixel-flow

• Active Users
    • View Profile

2017-09-06, 18:32:21
Reply #97

ylucic

• Active Users
    • View Profile
+1 for Alembic loader

and recently I needed to scatter stuff in particles.
So something similar to VrayInstancer would be cool..
Industrial Designer
SCL

2017-09-07, 10:36:02
Reply #98

photomg1

• Active Users
    • View Profile
100 percent the biggest issue I see that corona is missing is vray's licensing model were you buy a release and get the point releases associated with that number release. Only then paying for the next number upgrade. Your present box licensing system serves as nothing more than placating those who have no interest in subscriptions  but doing so in the most begrudging ugly fashion i.e offering no point releases over the lifetime of that number release. Neither of your current offerings(subs/box) would be acceptable to me at present for example.

Happy vray for modo user here, but always curious with what corona is doing.Hope some good changes come from your acquisition, congrats on becoming part of choas group its a great move imho.

« Last Edit: 2017-09-07, 10:44:12 by photomg1 »

2017-09-07, 15:06:45
Reply #99

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
100 percent the biggest issue I see that corona is missing is vray's licensing model were you buy a release and get the point releases associated with that number release. Only then paying for the next number upgrade. Your present box licensing system serves as nothing more than placating those who have no interest in subscriptions  but doing so in the most begrudging ugly fashion i.e offering no point releases over the lifetime of that number release. Neither of your current offerings(subs/box) would be acceptable to me at present for example.

Happy vray for modo user here, but always curious with what corona is doing.Hope some good changes come from your acquisition, congrats on becoming part of choas group its a great move imho.

It is actually funny, lots of people are worried we would use vray licensing model, then we get this request ;). But we are not planning to change anything, we are satisfied with our FairSaaS model, box is currently just specialty for government organizations etc.
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2017-09-07, 16:36:53
Reply #100

Benny

• Active Users
    • View Profile
My biggest worry with Corona has always been the lack of GPU strategy/direction. I can understand no one has wanted to comment on the numerous occasions this has been brought up, but now that you guys suddenly have a massive infusion of GPU programming experience and potentially code, perhaps this topic could be revisited?

Could there be a GPU/hybrid version within a reasonable time frame, or is the problem the same as for Vray, i.e. it really becomes more or less a new renderer? It seems that with 11GB and newer memory optimization techniques, GPU rendering is becoming usable for more and more people.

2017-09-08, 06:33:24
Reply #101

Christa Noel

• Active Users
  • God bless us everyone
    • View Profile
    • dionch.studio
It is actually funny, lots of people are worried we would use vray licensing model, then we get this request ;). But we are not planning to change anything, we are satisfied with our FairSaaS model, box is currently just specialty for government organizations etc.
greatttt!
no need change it to physical key or dongle system ever

2017-09-08, 06:36:02
Reply #102

Christa Noel

• Active Users
  • God bless us everyone
    • View Profile
    • dionch.studio
My biggest worry with Corona has always been the lack of GPU strategy/direction. I can understand no one has wanted to comment on the numerous occasions this has been brought up, but now that you guys suddenly have a massive infusion of GPU programming experience and potentially code, perhaps this topic could be revisited?

Could there be a GPU/hybrid version within a reasonable time frame, or is the problem the same as for Vray, i.e. it really becomes more or less a new renderer? It seems that with 11GB and newer memory optimization techniques, GPU rendering is becoming usable for more and more people.
GPU/Hybrid rendering is planned check the polling in "the most wanted feature" thread

2017-09-08, 11:18:51
Reply #103

Ryuu

• Former Corona Team Member
  • Active Users
  • Michal
    • View Profile
Well, "being planned" and "being on the most wanted feature poll" are two vastly different states :)

2017-09-11, 10:18:35
Reply #104

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us