Author Topic: Micro ATX build for Portablity  (Read 11056 times)

2015-06-21, 03:49:08

Javadevil

• Active Users
    • View Profile

Hi Guys,

I'm looking at upgrading, its time to buy a new PC.
I need something smaller than my regular tower mid ATX cases, some that's portable, that I can sit on a desk so I
don't have to crawl around under the desk to plug everything in.
Now I've had a look around and it seems micro ATX is pretty much the smallest I can go, since I'd to have 32GB
when prices come down. At the moment I'll be stuck with 16GB. But that also depends one which socket/CPU I go for.
The Silverstone FT03S MicroATX Mini Tower Case or the Bitfenix Phenom.

As far as CPU's I'm still undecided if I should go with the new socket 2011-3 or save some serious dollars and go with the 1150 socket ?
Intel Socket 1150 :: Intel Core i7 4790K Intel Socket 2011-3 :: Intel Core i7 5930K

http://au.pcpartpicker.com/p/9xmQ23

So my build so far is:

CPU    - Intel Core i7-5930K 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor

CPU Cooler-Corsair H55 57.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler

Motherboard   - EVGA Micro Micro ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard

Memory   - Crucial 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory

Storage   - Crucial MX200 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive

Storage - Western Digital BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive

Video Card   - EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB FTW ACX 2.0 Video Card

Case    - Silverstone FT03S MicroATX Mini Tower Case

Power Supply   - SeaSonic Platinum 860W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply

Operating System   - Microsoft Windows 8.1 Pro OEM (64-bit)

2015-06-21, 04:58:39
Reply #1

bnzs

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Miracles do not happen - that all this stuff in a small housing need serious cooling or everything will be cool (CPU and 970) is also very strange that due "don't have to crawl around under the desk to plug everything in" place hardware in  Micro ATX much better wires put on the table - it is better to withdraw should be done on the table.

If you don't consider overclock 5930K it not worth money at all. I just put some table from inet - if I chose myself, I would have bought 5820K or 4770K
with some OC 5820K catches 5930K http://forums.overclockers.ru/download/file.php?id=25354&mode=view

4770К @4.5ghz = 9.87pts (little under 3930K) but 2011 is much expensive and 2011v3 even more...
« Last Edit: 2015-06-21, 05:03:14 by bnzs »

2015-06-21, 06:32:22
Reply #2

Javadevil

• Active Users
    • View Profile

With the full tower case I have at the moment it sits under my desk and when I need to take it somewhere,
if goes back on the floor and I have to get under the desk and plug the cables back in. 
So I prefer to keep a smaller case on the desk.

I'm not to worried about cooling, from the Linus tech videos I have watched, he gets some decent temps
using ITX cases. I just need to pick the right coolers.

Thanks I'll look into the 4770k.

2015-06-21, 13:16:32
Reply #3

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
I am not so convinced about Corsair H55, though I didn't research which CLC you can fit into those cases without going with custom loop, which can get expensive.

Platform depends if you really want six-core, because you won't fit 64bg ram or quad-gpu to micro-board with either so next selling differences are moot.
I would say yes, and go with 5820k (identical to 5930k except for PCI Lanes amount, which doesn't matter to you (or anyone almost...) )
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2015-06-22, 10:42:30
Reply #4

Javadevil

• Active Users
    • View Profile

Thanks Juraj,

I like to tell myself every upgrade I should get twice the power, but it always cost to much.
At the moment I'm running 2700K and I'd love to get something more powerful.

I'll look into the cooling and make sure I don't need a custom loop.

This is the other case I'm considering, it fits a 240mm water cooler.

2015-06-22, 10:53:24
Reply #5

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
At the moment I'm running 2700K

Than definitely get six-core :- ) 
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models

2015-06-25, 22:41:15
Reply #6

bnzs

• Active Users
    • View Profile

And just not to climb under the desk - to buy small CASE and then another small mobo and then another wonder - will get you there normal full size video card - for me it's stupid.

just assemble another case with 3930k CPU (or if you tiny budget - 4770k) from ebay and other part buy from local shop "new". And put you 2700k in DR corona - and you will get 2x power

2015-06-26, 01:13:30
Reply #7

Javadevil

• Active Users
    • View Profile

And just not to climb under the desk - to buy small CASE and then another small mobo and then another wonder - will get you there normal full size video card - for me it's stupid.

just assemble another case with 3930k CPU (or if you tiny budget - 4770k) from ebay and other part buy from local shop "new". And put you 2700k in DR corona - and you will get 2x power

If you enjoy lugging around a full tower to work, climbing under the table to plug it all in then go for it.
I need something that's portable, lightweight and still has enough grunt to render on.
Now your suggesting I lug around 2 PC's ? you mad ???

cheers

2015-06-26, 16:07:40
Reply #8

bnzs

• Active Users
    • View Profile
>Now your suggesting I lug around 2 PC's
how to get the performance of two 2700k - just to have two 2700k
>you mad
And this is - a very cultural. Good luck to you in 2700k (and something like noctua)  in inserting the matchbox - the main thing that is not puffed matchbox.

we are happy to see the photos of this perversion.

cheers

2015-06-27, 03:03:35
Reply #9

Javadevil

• Active Users
    • View Profile

Okay,

I already have a bunch of other PC's in the home office for DR, this pc is for portability when I need to go into someone else's office.
If you don't like small form factor PC's and don't have anything to add, then fair enough, move on.
I'm simply asking if the parts I have selected are decent parts or if there's a better cheaper motherboard, Power supply.. etc..
« Last Edit: 2015-06-27, 06:04:13 by Javadevil »

2015-06-27, 04:45:08
Reply #10

riggles

• Active Users
    • View Profile
If you can get an EVGA X99 Micro, 5820K, and proper Noctua or AIO water cooler into a well ventilated Micro ATX case, I say more power to you.

2015-06-27, 06:06:19
Reply #11

Javadevil

• Active Users
    • View Profile
If you can get an EVGA X99 Micro, 5820K, and proper Noctua or AIO water cooler into a well ventilated Micro ATX case, I say more power to you.

From what I've seen people are doing it, they don't seem to have problems fitting water coolers and full length GPU's into a Micro ATX case.
I'll let you know how it goes.

2015-06-27, 13:03:40
Reply #12

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website

From what I've seen people are doing it, they don't seem to have problems fitting water coolers and full length GPU's into a Micro ATX case.
I'll let you know how it goes.

Exactly, there is no issue with it. You can always go with slightly larger mATX like BitfenixProdigyM.

So much trolling in this thread...

2015-06-29, 20:39:46
Reply #13

Jann

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I built a simple gaming rig in the Bitfenix Prodigy M, and honestly would not call it larger. It bulks up due to the handles, but they have sharp edges, so it's not exactly pleasant to carry it around when it's full with hardware.
Something like the Xigmatek Aquila would do much better for portable system. Some other cases use the same inner cage, like the Aerocool DS Cube, but don't have handles. From what I have read, these cases can even fit a 280mm radiator in top (which for me is the only option worth buying over a good old Noctua).
Another great case is the Corsair 240. No handles either, but it's regarded as one of the best, and it's bigger brother 540 also has one of the best airflows.

On other parts, as mentioned before, just get a i7-5820k and invest the difference in better cooling/case/memory/etc. On most motherboards today you can just use auto OC and get something like 4.2GHz without any tinkering (just make sure the CPU voltage on load doesn't go too high).

2015-07-09, 04:03:30
Reply #14

Javadevil

• Active Users
    • View Profile

Thanks Jann,

I think I'm going to go for the Silverstone FS03
http://www.silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=291