Chaos Corona for 3ds Max > [Max] Corona Goodies - User Contributions

AgX in Corona

<< < (8/9) > >>

piotrus3333:

--- Quote from: pokoy on 2024-04-29, 13:21:29 ---Wait, so for any LUTs from outside Corona install we need either the string option or a gamma operator @0.45 before the LUT? I remember trying some LUTs from other sources but gave up thinking they were not the right type.

--- End quote ---

I do not know the story behind luts from Corona installer but, in general - yes - to have a lut do what it is supposed to do in Corona VFB you need gamma transform operator (1/2.2).
I guess the story why it all works like that is long forgotten as the support was unable to point me to the simple solution - the string option for adjusting VFB gamma. I dug it out from an old 2015 post.

piotrus3333:
ok, so at least we know that it used to work as expected for a brief moment:

muoto:
would anyone have a nuke layout that would work creating LUT's that would look similar in Nuke as in Corona Vfb ?

mienda:
Hello, I just saw this video on YouTube which deals with a so-called new tone mapping for Blender "he Khronos PBR Neutral Tone Mapper" ( )  which seems to have the advantages of AGX without its disadvantages (lack of contrast and saturation depending on everyone's tastes). I have the impression that the combo of AGX MATRIX + AGX PUNCHY (+ contrast if necessary) is close compared to the combination AGX BASE + AGX KRAKEN + AGX DEFAULT CONTRAST.
I'm really uneducated about these issues so I was wondering what you thought about it.

Thanks in advance

piotrus3333:
AgX in the form of luts from this thread is not the same AgX you have in Blender. There are three different versions of AgX - the one I uploaded is based on the original idea from Sobotka. it does not shift hues like the Blender 4 version. it is also made with BT709 primaries (what you would colloquially call srgb primaries) in mind.

agx matrix + punchy is, well, more punchy than agx matrix + kraken + default contrast. default contrast is called base look in original AgX ocio configuration. you can replace default contrast lut with your own curve or add colour grading lut on top of Kraken. punchy look if I remember correctly is just gamma adjustment - just a simple sample look, nothing to stick with. so this AgX basically will require your personal input in regards to final contrast.

it is possible than some other, preset based, display transform would be better suited for use in Corona: for example RED display transform consists of 16 combinations of 4 levels of contrast and 4 different highlight roll off strengths.

Khronos PBR Neutral Tone Mapper - I think they are trying to solve issues with colour reproduction for some quite specific cases. does any image in the video look natural to you? instead of rendering in wider gamut space and using some tried and tested colour science (from camera manufacturers for example) they are fiddling with display transform alone. BT709 colour space is too tiny to describe all real life colours - look at professional cameras: at least BT2020.
EDIT: ok, so this is indeed designed specifically for e-commerce. very different beast, very different needs. not for us.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version