Author Topic: New AMD Zen CPU's (up to 32 core count)  (Read 2895 times)

2016-02-11, 16:42:01

agentdark45

• Active Users
    • View Profile
http://hexus.net/tech/news/cpu/90458-amd-zen-based-opteron-chips-detailed-cern-slides/

With a 40% IPC improvement and individual cores with hyperthreading AMD might finally be back in the game! Anyone ever own an Althon chip back in the day?

I've never looked at Opteron chips before but anyone care to make a speculative guess on how much a 32 core Opteron would cost? I'm currently running a 12 Core Xeon, but if the new Zen chips live up to expectations I would have no issue switching to AMD.

Also, would network rendering work with machines running completely different CPU's?

Vray who?

2016-02-11, 23:27:26
Reply #1

FrostKiwi

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
Care-Care-Care
I got burned by AMD with vishera.
My 8core 4,6 GHz was twice as slow as 6core phenomenon 2,7 GHz of my sister in Vray.
Many forum threads of ppl constantly whining about aweful - god aweful FPU performance.

Many vray ppl were burned that way. Wait until at least a couple of weeks after launch to see, whether the magic new architecture does not suck.
They hid cache sharing, or miss marketed how it worked until a year after and the fact, that 256 bit avx commands could only be done through some magic compiler nobody knew how.

Sound promising, I'm hyped, but for.gods sake wait and see how it actually does. Also don't trust cine bench scores.

All fx 8350s boosted to 5ghz -believe it or not - for 10 minutes in the first half year of their life span. I could not believe until I saw it happening to me as well.

I never received those awesome cinebench scores the fx 8350 reviews did, same clock, until I re enabled some features.
Then with analyze software saw the chip boosting to 5,2 GHz for a fracture of a second and I got the same good cinebench scores, like in the early reviews. Dodgy shit.
Still have all the graph data and measurements to back this up, others aswell.

Edit: AMD made a statement a year after release, paraphrasing it went like " the future of FPU commuting lies on the GPU, we built a Architecture that looks into the future, where all fpu calculations are offloaded to the GPU, that's why we made FPU god aweful shit and actually good integer performance, and yes, its a 4 core, with 8 integer cores, yes we got sued by everyone for false marketing no, its the future deal with it"
« Last Edit: 2016-02-11, 23:33:59 by SairesArt »
I'm 🐥 not 🥝, pls don't eat me ( ;  ;   )

2016-04-07, 22:10:25
Reply #2

FrostKiwi

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
New info confirms, that the shitty shared cache concept has been dropped and AMD Zen is going to have one FPU per core, so it's actually looking good.
Copetitivly priced 32 core desktop CPU, with 32 FPUs?

Time to board the hype train.
I'm 🐥 not 🥝, pls don't eat me ( ;  ;   )