Author Topic: DR maps transfer ?  (Read 1437 times)

2022-05-22, 11:47:18

muoto

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hello,

i was wondering when rendering in DR. Are all the maps in the current scene transfered to the render nodes ? Or just the ones that are actually used ?

I often use a CoronaSelect map with multiple hdri's for different tests of skies and lighting. Are all of them sent ? or just the one that is selected ?

thanks

2022-05-30, 16:47:13
Reply #1

muoto

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Would it be possible to have any feedback on this ?

best regards!

2022-05-30, 19:28:53
Reply #2

Frood

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Rakete GmbH
Hi,

actually nothing will be transferred (except the scene) if the path to the asset is reachable by the slave according to the path defined in the scene. It will be used directly in this case, for example when linking to a shared network path.

If you render a scene with local assets, linking to some path not accessible by the slave, all maps will be transferred (also those of hidden/not renderable objects). So in case of select map: all connected maps.

Good Luck

Never underestimate the power of a well placed level one spell.

2022-05-31, 11:48:33
Reply #3

muoto

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Are you sure about this ? Even with maps located on a network mapped drive ?

All my maps are placed on a network mapped drive, and i have the impression when looking at the task manager network activity there is *a lot* of data being transfered to the nodes...

2022-05-31, 13:02:45
Reply #4

Frood

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Rakete GmbH
Are you sure about this ? Even with maps located on a network mapped drive ?

If you mean "transferred by the DR system" here (as I assumed):

Are all the maps in the current scene transfered to the render nodes ?

then yes. As said, the assets have to be accessible by the node as if it would be required when opening and rendering the scene on that slave in Max "manually". In case of using mapped drives, the user running DrServer.exe would only need to have that drive mapped as well (does not work when running DrServer as windows service, you have to use unc names in that case). Then, if an asset is not reachable/missing, the dr system forwards the missing asset to the slave(s).

You can easily check what happens in your environment by going to

%userprofile%\appdata\local\Coronarenderer\Drdata

of the user running the DrServer and checking what has been sent by the master. The transferred files should also be listed in detail in the file "drlog.txt" inside of that directory.

What you see in task manager are most probably just the slaves loading their assets across the network, using the standard scene paths. Slaves have to load the scene assets sooner or later of course, either directly through valid network paths/valid local paths or with the help of the master from the Drdata directory.

Good Luck

Never underestimate the power of a well placed level one spell.

2022-05-31, 14:56:35
Reply #5

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
What Frood said is correct.

Generally, DR will transfer only what is needed.

If your render node can access assets on a network drive/shared folder, then nothing will be additionally transferred through DR.

If your render node cannot access any of the assets, they will be sent from the master.

In case of a Corona Select map - all textures need to be loaded by the node, even if some of them are not rendered. Imagine opening a file locally in 3ds Max on the node. In case of some asset files missing (even if they are not being rendered), you would see a 3ds Max "missing assets" dialog.
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us