Author Topic: ShadowCatcherMTL only receiving self illumination and GI, not direct.  (Read 3035 times)

2014-10-15, 12:30:16

jjduncs

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • thevisualworkshop
Im trying to do a scene where the lights on the inside of the building spill out onto the backplate (the front door is glass) and consequently i need the shadow catcher mat to receive the direct light. I have only had success in seeing the light effect the shadowcatcher plane when i use a box with self illumination, or an object with a strong light near it that bounces GI onto the shadow catcher.

When I use a corona light, even a very strong one, it ONLY effects my 3D elements, and only a tiny amount of this light is visible on the backplate from the indirect bounces.

Objects with a corona light mtl also do not work, again they only effect the 3d elements.

Is there a way to get the real corona lights to illuminate the shadowcatchmtl without it being bounces of an object or being self illumination?

Thanks

2015-02-09, 15:49:38
Reply #1

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Don't know how about that version but in newer versions this is fixable with "shadowcatcher illuminator" option for Corona Lights and Light mtl.
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2015-02-09, 15:55:20
Reply #2

Ludvik Koutny

• VIP
  • Active Users
  • Just another user
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
Yep, with shadowcatcher you need to decide between two types of lights. Lights that already were in the scene when you were capturing the backplate and HDRI, and lights that are being added afterwards. Lights that are being added afterwards are called illuminators, and they will be in 1.0 release.

2015-03-17, 14:04:21
Reply #3

jjduncs

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • thevisualworkshop
Great.

Will check it out soon, just bought a Corona 1 license.