Author Topic: Pool setup - mesh and materials  (Read 17802 times)

2012-11-02, 00:33:09

Oltskul

• Active Users
  • "Whoa, that is lot of boxes!" Adam West
    • View Profile
Hi,

I am testing "basic pool visualization". I am wondering, what is the best way to prepare pool setup? Mesh and Materials...

In Attachment you can find very very basic setup - just compare of Solid and Thin mesh combined with Solid and Thin material...

Thin mtl - is great because it lets in light, but doesnot refract.
Solid mtl - is great because it refract the inside, but doesnot let in lights..

What is best setup or crossover in this case? Or perhaps am I fogeting some settings (enable nonimplemented caustics) or setup?

I would apriciate it like here:
http://corona-renderer.com/img/gallery/full/duncan-guesthouse.jpg

or in attachment "test8dlazba" --very oold test render of unfinished project...which i am finishin now in corona, so the pool model would be the very same...

Thnaks oltskul
Corona is like some king of addictive game... "Just one... More... Render... Before... Then i will do something... Useful"

HALT!Ausnahmezeit

2012-11-02, 01:09:04
Reply #1

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
You should definitely use single-faced water + one-sided material. But it wont let through light from outside, you will need PPM or PM to render it... or wait until I finish other methods to deal with this situation. Or create the lights under the water, such lights will work fine ;)
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2012-11-02, 08:58:15
Reply #2

Oltskul

• Active Users
    • View Profile
OK, let mi fake the shit out of it :P

I will more than gladly wait, anyway, it is still alpha.
Corona is like some king of addictive game... "Just one... More... Render... Before... Then i will do something... Useful"

HALT!Ausnahmezeit

2012-11-02, 11:58:09
Reply #3

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
I bet you already know that but you should think with surfaces, not volumes. So for any kind of water it is best to use single sided surface and solid refraction model. The best exercise to learn about surfaces and IORs is to model a simple glass willed to half with water/tea/wine /whatever. I'll upload an image connected with it and a crappy pool setup I used in one render.

About water not passing light through: you can disable shadows in water surface's settings, but generally it's something you shouldn't do. And still no caustics.
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2012-11-02, 13:53:36
Reply #4

Oltskul

• Active Users
    • View Profile
OK, after on hour making box and sphere - corona spitted out caustics :)
(over TeamViewer on my notsosmartphone)

so anway, lets go and fake the lights & caustics (http://www.dualheights.se/caustics/)

HALT!Ausnahmezeit

2012-11-02, 13:55:37
Reply #5

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
so anway, lets go and fake the lights & caustics (http://www.dualheights.se/caustics/)

Nah, I'd rather wait for proper caustics implementation in Corona!
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2012-11-02, 14:28:29
Reply #6

Oltskul

• Active Users
    • View Profile

Nah, I'd rather wait for proper caustics implementation in Corona!

sure thing! but I want to finish this image somehow... and to fake lights i meant to illuminate it manualy..

and that link was an inspiration...

HALT!Ausnahmezeit

2012-11-02, 14:32:06
Reply #7

Oltskul

• Active Users
    • View Profile
You should definitely use single-faced water + one-sided material. But it wont let through light from outside, you will need PPM or PM to render it... or wait until I finish other methods to deal with this situation. Or create the lights under the water, such lights will work fine ;)

PPM is progresive photon mapping?
PM is photon mapping?

just to be clear..

HALT!Ausnahmezeit

2012-11-02, 15:55:29
Reply #8

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile

PPM is progresive photon mapping?
PM is photon mapping?

just to be clear..

yeah, PPM = progressive PM = progressive photon mapping. Grab a daily build, you should get proper caustics almost instantly (they will refine and become sharper over time - it converges from biased to unbiased with almost zero variance). You probably wont be able to render the rest of the scene with PPM, but you can combine this PPM with some other method via masks (try Corona Mask render element to mask out the water surface).
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2012-11-02, 16:09:44
Reply #9

Oltskul

• Active Users
    • View Profile
OKey!

ps: build me a Legay daily buil please:) But no rush i will get to the Corona on Monday... or with bit of luck today for few moments...

HALT!Ausnahmezeit

2012-11-02, 16:21:03
Reply #10

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
ok, ping be on icq and I'll make it

2012-11-02, 18:52:41
Reply #11

Oltskul

• Active Users
    • View Profile
OMG it works :)

As i said on ICQ, i didn have much time... so i wont even bother with crappy test image :-P

But castisc in pool works perfectly.. THNX

HALT!Ausnahmezeit

2012-11-02, 21:39:06
Reply #12

Chakib

• Active Users
  • Corona Omnomnomer !
    • View Profile

2012-11-03, 17:50:16
Reply #13

Oltskul

• Active Users
    • View Profile
i want that daily build too :(

are you in Dropbox shared folder? If not, create dropbox account a join him :)

HALT!Ausnahmezeit