Author Topic: Potential Issues with normals/phong angles when rendering with Corona  (Read 1668 times)

2020-03-05, 22:18:03

SharkNinja

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I'm currently having an issue when I bring in FBX files that are converted from CAD (STEP) files.  We have gotten things to a point where we get clean geometry as FBX out of Modo and into C4D and it renders nice and clean in the Standard, Physical and Octane C4D render engines.  However, as soon as I put a Corona material on it and render in Corona, we get some weird normal/phong issues with our geometry that we aren't seeing in the other render engines.  Is there a setting I'm missing or something anyone could suggest to clean this up?  I have attached two files, one showing the Corona render with the issues and one showing the C4D Physical render without the issues.

2020-03-05, 23:25:06
Reply #1

pokoy

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Try changing the shadow terminator in the developer/advanced settings to 1.0, it doesn't go well with explicit normals coming with CAD geometry.

2020-03-05, 23:58:52
Reply #2

SharkNinja

• Active Users
    • View Profile
@pokoy That worked!!!  It didn't immediately update the Interactive Viewport so I had to turn that off and back on to reset the render, but that definitely took care of the weird normals issue!  THANK YOU!!!

2020-03-06, 13:00:47
Reply #3

pokoy

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Glad it helped! The downside of this is that poorly tessellated geometry show the shadow terminator problem, but sadly it's a global setting, not per-object - it's either no shadow terminator artifacts or correct rendering of CAD normals.