Author Topic: Vray for Unreal  (Read 7763 times)

2017-06-09, 14:36:40

arqrenderz

• Active Users
  • https://www.behance.net/Arqrenderz1
    • View Profile
    • arqrenderz

2017-06-09, 15:47:57
Reply #1

cecofuli

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • www.francescolegrenzi.com

2017-06-10, 12:32:05
Reply #2

johan belmans

• Primary Certified Instructor
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • belly.be
I have been to that presentation.
At the moment it is in an early stage.
You can export a Vray scene to Unreal (by a tool made by Vray), all materials are converted towards an Unreal material but with the UI of a Vray material. I mean that the material is still Unreal but wrapped with Vray settings, what you see in Max you will see in Unreal. So internally all the diffent Vray settings are connected to the proper Unreal settings.
At the moment you can only render still images inside of Unreal from a Vray VFB.
So no virtual reality rendered by Vray at the moment.

Further more Epic is developing a convert tool as well. One from Max towards Unreal. Where it will convert Vray and Corona materials towards Unreal Materials.
Even Vray lights are converted. But this tool is not there yet and could still change.
So I guess we will have to wait a bit longer but future is promising.

2017-06-10, 14:16:59
Reply #3

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Was there some kind of custom-GI baking integrated within Unreal ?

Anything that would replace their native ray-tracer would instantly boost Unreal's visual quality into oblivion.
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2017-06-10, 15:27:30
Reply #4

johan belmans

• Primary Certified Instructor
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • belly.be
I am not that technically.....
So the stills that came out Unreal are raytraced. If you still want to push the play button in Unreal it still need to be baked as Unreal does now.

But Vlado told in the future he would like to have another type of baking. Possibly a Ptex method.
Hope this is clear for you.

2017-06-11, 11:33:42
Reply #5

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
I just meant the ray-tracer being replaced by their own (Vray).

No matter how much settings you tweak in Unreal, their archaic Irradiance+Photons look bad compared to anything of today (Like Vray's BF/LC or even their IR/LC). Basically what the Octane devs promised.
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2017-06-11, 13:21:41
Reply #6

melviso

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Portfoilo
Can't wait for Ptex to come to Unreal. I think resolution independent textures should be the norm at this time and age.

Btw, I got hacked. My email and skype account are gone. Gotten new ones for now. I have no idea who would have done this. Doing damage control atm. To everybody out there be careful. I don't know why Google decided to not allow the 2 step verification feature in my country.

Looking forward to the vray feature for ue4.

2017-06-11, 21:09:02
Reply #7

rambambulli

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I talked to some Unreal guys at the EUE, asking them when they get rid of the prehistoric workflow of the baking system of Unreal.
They told me it won't be happening soon. They won't be implementing vray of corona as render engine to baked the lightmaps in Unreal as part as their new Unreal Enterprise.
They are (as Belly mentioned) going to launch a nice exporter that exports a full 3ds max model to Unreal. including (vray and Corona) materials, lights, etc.
The baking process remains prehistoric.

As they are fully focussing on their new Unreal Enterprise, I had the feeling they first want to sell that and then, maybe, change the baker.

I know I'll wait for Unity + Octane (releasing at the Siggraph I think). Of course, Unity or Unreal + Corona would be a dream but I can live with Octane.

Until then I'll keep baking everything with Corona and export it. It works in the mean time.