Author Topic: 3dsmax is not responding - corona 3  (Read 4466 times)

2018-11-26, 10:42:49

bastille

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studiosezz
Hello,
I'm working with the last corona 3.0 version, max 2019 sp2.
I had several times problems with the new corona. Regularly 3dsmax does not respond any more when, for example, I drag and drop a texture from windows to corona bitmap of the slate material editor.
Corona also stops sometime responding if the autosave occurs when I have the browse images for input window open.
It's not happening every time but time to time.
Do other encounters these problems?
Pierre
studiosezz // Paris
www.studiosezz.com

2018-11-27, 14:04:21
Reply #1

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Whenever 3ds Max is not responding ("frozen"), please generate a minidump file. Here is how to do it (see point 2) - https://coronarenderer.freshdesk.com/support/solutions/articles/5000524006
Then please zip the minidumps, and send them to us using https://corona-renderer.com/upload
You can then let us know about your uploaded files here on the forum, or contact us using https://coronarenderer.freshdesk.com/support/tickets/new

We will look into those minidumps, and either provide you with a solution, or fix something in Corona, which is triggering those freezes.
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2018-11-27, 21:11:02
Reply #2

Darawork

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I had V3 installed for one day. 3DSMax 2016 (Fully service packed), Windows 10, Quadro P5000.

I experienced lots of operations where I would have to go out for a cigarette and come back in to see if it had recovered itself:

#1 Dragging a material from the Corona Material Library to the Slate Material Editor, at least a three-minute freeze.

#2 Doing anything with Proxies when the separate IR window is running, even in really low res, Another five-minute freeze.

#3 Starting the IR window, at least a two-minute freeze. 60m Polys in the scene, proxied down to 700k Polys.

#4 Pressing stop on the IR window, another one minute pause at least.

#5 IR Window not updating, stuck on precomputation of the scene, software restart necessary.

#6 Selecting the objects in a CScatter from a previous version, at least a cup of tea waiting time.

I know these are mostly not related to the material browser.
But they are related to Corona freezing like a penguin in a blast freezer.

There is an old cliche in the industry; CGI is 75% waiting for the computer to respond.
Corona v3 did little for me to dispell the myth.

« Last Edit: 2018-11-27, 21:18:59 by Darawork »
Windows 10/11, 3DS Max 2022, Revit 2023, AutoCad 2023, Dell Precision 5810/20, nVidia Quadro P5000/RTX 5000, Corona 10/11.

2018-11-27, 21:29:56
Reply #3

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
For those experiencing lags and long waits, did you try disabling the NVIDIA denoiser?

https://corona-renderer.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/corona-renderer-3-denoise-during-render-ui-b.png

It would be good to know if that was on or off when you experiencing these problems, and whether disabling it improves things. (Note that if you are using denoising in a final render, would be interesting to know whether the NVIDIA denoiser was chosen there - I would try using the Full Quality there, with the IR denoising unchecked, and see if this changes responsiveness at all).

Thanks!
   Tom
Tom Grimes | chaos-corona.com
Product Manager | contact us

2018-11-28, 00:02:01
Reply #4

Darawork

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Will do, when I install it again. If I get a home licence to test.

Good point though, I really wanted GPU integration denoising to work well. I read up all about it, coming from vRay RT and iRay.
Windows 10/11, 3DS Max 2022, Revit 2023, AutoCad 2023, Dell Precision 5810/20, nVidia Quadro P5000/RTX 5000, Corona 10/11.

2018-11-28, 01:37:45
Reply #5

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
The GPU denoising should work well in most cases - it works even with my very old 680 GTX, but, it can be a bit slow there at times; e.g. as IR or final render resolution goes up, that can make things slower, and it can as a result cause my computer to have pauses and short lock-ups because it only has 2GB GPU memory, which is what makes me wonder if this is having an impact on the performance you are seeing, and whether disabling it improves things. Let us know when you get a chance to test!
Tom Grimes | chaos-corona.com
Product Manager | contact us

2018-11-29, 22:33:46
Reply #6

beanimated

• Users
    • View Profile
Same problem here. Just installed version 3, drawn a couple of teapots and as soon as i press interactive render 3ds Max freezes randomly for a few seconds. This happens dragging windows, stopping rendering, selecting objects, changing viewports. Tried to activate and deactivate de noise and the problem persist.

Sorry, i am in a big hurry right now, but as soon as i can i will post more details and mini dump files.

3DS Max 2019.2, windows 10 1803. i76950x 96gb ram gxt 1080.
Thanks.