Author Topic: HDRI Lighting  (Read 838 times)

2023-03-18, 13:40:23

BigAl3D

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I have noticed over the years that many times when you grab an image to use for lighting, it may also come with a low-res blurry version called Environment, a medium res clear version-2k usually and one large file coming in a 16k or so.

What is the proper use of that small blurry file? Environment override? What's the advantage of using the blurry image versus just letting the sky provide reflections?

2023-03-18, 14:22:45
Reply #1

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
It's just a legacy thing. In the past render engines were struggling to efficiently sample high resolution HDRIs, so in order to get reasonable render times, people used to use low resolution blurred HDRI for environment lighting and full res versions for reflection. You would loose some lighting precision that way, but it still better than waiting days for single image to render. With Corona you don't need such tricks, it is capable to sample whatever resolution HDRIs from day one.
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2023-03-18, 17:17:02
Reply #2

BigAl3D

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Well all right then. I'm already doing things the Corona way then. I've been called "legacy" a few times as well. ha

Thanks for the reply.