Author Topic: MOTANKA  (Read 1293 times)

2022-07-09, 23:12:53

Vikch

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
MOTANKA

This work brought together some of the most famous Ukrainian ethnic clothing elements including vyshyvanka,  traditional flower wreath (vinok) and a coral necklace (korali). The motanka itself is a fabric doll used to be as an element of ancient culture  in Eastern Europe and Ukraine most of all.

SOFTWARE : 3dsMax + Corona Renderer 6, Photoshop, Forest Pack, RailClone
          ​​​​​​​
Full project and resolution avaliable here - https://www.behance.net/gallery/147829955/MOTANKA
                                             and here - https://www.artstation.com/artwork/6bo16N
« Last Edit: 2022-07-10, 09:08:02 by Vikch »

2022-07-10, 00:36:53
Reply #1

hesham elshipli

• Active Users
    • View Profile

2022-07-10, 04:08:42
Reply #2

burnin

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Roll-up doll :) pan-Slavic, basically...

... liking interesting execution and how meticulously crafted it appears to be...

... care to describe more about your technical process?

Wish you Love & all good

2022-07-10, 09:06:33
Reply #3

Vikch

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
Great Work

Thank you!

Roll-up doll :) pan-Slavic, basically...

... liking interesting execution and how meticulously crafted it appears to be...

... care to describe more about your technical process?

Wish you Love & all good

Thanks a lot for your comment, glad you liked it.
What exactly would you like to know about technical process? You can ask me some things you interested about)
« Last Edit: 2022-07-10, 09:15:06 by Vikch »

2022-07-10, 18:16:03
Reply #4

burnin

• Active Users
    • View Profile
What exactly would you like to know about technical process? You can ask me some things you interested about)
Personally, nothing in specific, but more in general. I'm simply curious and would love to know more about whole thing. :)

I was struck by impression and taken whole as I am.
Now, after contemplation & meditation around your work, I think too much. So whatever you do would it will be great.
And here's my vision. Starting with an article (generating larger interest) and then tutorial series for broader audience. About concept, referential studies, mythology. Then, about acquiring assets, which materials, sorts and why? Techniques applied? Photogrammetry, modeling, sculpting, texturing, bashing ... Did you apply a bit of all or else? Further on, how did you assemble specific parts? Was it done either via simulations, proceduralism, bit of everything... or was it all made virtually by hand? (Wrapping linen band, hanging on coral necklaces, placing dried flowers...). Following some broader insight on Loo&Dev, ambience... And finally, what was your motivation for path you took? What is within worth conveying...

Again, all of it, considering you're interested in more than simply satisfying my dire desire, need of affirming my speculations, as I would  far rather see you succeed in achieving your goals, having wonderful life experience, more than merely fucking buttons, throwing fish directly into my Big Horny eyes. I struggle now with my shadow self for bringing me such visions... But, open-heartedly, summer came, MOTANKA is still on it's way... yet I've already been "wrapped" in looking at it. For an infinite moment thoughts collapsed though mind traveling within symbol of woman which has no eyes. Themis, Karma... w/o judgement everything just reacts, and "I'll reap what I sow".

Wow, I'm back.  Fuck it, no need to answer. I'll leave it be. Thanks again for giving me this opportunity in visually experiencing your work, which sent me over through divine nature, reminiscing why I love art, culture and every being in creation.

Oh, almost forgot to ask main Q: "In whole, how much time it took?

All be well

2022-07-10, 22:50:47
Reply #5

Vikch

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
Personally, nothing in specific, but more in general. I'm simply curious and would love to know more about whole thing. :)

Damn, this is literally one of the biggest comments I got. I really appreciate it!

So about some technical moments.

Clothes. Modeled by hands,  no simulation because there was no need in it. These elements consist only of one front half you actually see in cameras, no back. Textured with unwrap modifier and some displacement for more relief.

Necklace.  The red biggest part was made by RailClone. Metallic details added by hands. The red one with tiny stones and white on the top made by Forest Pack. The white one with big stones made with PathDeform modifier. To get more realistic materials of natural stones, I added some SSS to a necklace mat to add more deep.

Wreath.  I took some dry flowers from one of the MT collections. Their layout made by hands. I just wanted to make it without any tools as I needed more freedom to control these elements.

Head. So there is no actual model inside. Only low poly model with quite simple texture of skin, and even without face at all. This is my first work in character design at all, so I'm not ready to work with detailed faces. This is also one of the reasons why she has this fabric on her face.
It was made with Cloth modifier. I took a lot of stripes (simple planes) and just simulated how they covered her face.
Red threads made with PathDeform modifier. Tiny threads on fabric made with CoronaScatter.

In general. Actually I'm really glad you are interested so deeply about this work. For a long time, I wanted to make smth like this, 3d portrait or smth similar. Then I watched 'The Northman' (2022)  where was the Seeress character soo... I finally got it what exactly I'd like to make first. This movie inspired me.
Of course, the first thing you see that she has no face. But there is another one reason why, not only my laziness =) I wanted to add some mystery to this character - this is why her face covered. Her look should make you feel yourself a little uncomfortable.

Time. It took me about 3 days. Not much because I have a detailed view in my mind of this art and how it should  look like.

So I hope I've answered your questions.  And again, thank you a lot for your interest in this work. It's a real pleasure when art makes you think about it in this way, thanks!)

2022-07-11, 14:32:21
Reply #6

Sebastien

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Amazing work ! The design is really cool, that's not something we're used to see a lot. You did a great job by modeling these clothes without simulation !

2022-07-11, 14:37:49
Reply #7

burnin

• Active Users
    • View Profile
... I hope I've answered your questions.  And again, thank you a lot for your interest in this work. It's a real pleasure when art makes you think about it in this way, thanks!)
I'm humbled by your kind reply and satisfying my curiosity. TYSM.
Wish you have more of such inspirational and creative days while exploring wast landscape of wondrous characters in this world's cultural diversity.

Keep it up!

2022-07-11, 22:39:58
Reply #8

Vikch

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
Amazing work ! The design is really cool, that's not something we're used to see a lot. You did a great job by modeling these clothes without simulation !

Thank you! Glad u liked it😉