Author Topic: Unstable IR / Overheating Issue + Node Materials Editor Crash  (Read 2034 times)

2020-07-23, 08:35:19

Elias2019

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Is anyone experiencing overheating or CPU overwhelming in Cinema 4D while using Corona interactive rendering? Corona IR looks totally very unstable in my Cinema 4D. It mostly crashes, even while tweaking nodes in Corona Node Material Editor. I would be grateful if anyone can help. Thanks

2020-07-23, 09:28:27
Reply #1

NOOKTA

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • www.nookta.de
Hey Elias,

I have a similar feeling with IR in Cinema 4D. Same that while working in Node Editor I experience sudden crashes. I already reported this with some bugreports etc. and I'm waiting for feedback from developers (ticket number #186737). What I also realized is, when disconnecting Nodes in the editor it sometimes freezes up to minute...Do you use the standard layout or customized? Mine is customized, could also be the culprit?

By now I always save my scenes before I fire up the IR. I never noticed the CPU overheating though, I'll keep that in mind!

best,
Ararat

Windows 10 Pro 2004 19041.388
AMD Ryzen 3950X
Build timestamp: Jan 14 2020 17:30:58
Version: 5 hotfix 2
Cinema version: R21.207 Cinema 4D
www.nookta.de — architectural visualization based in germany
https://www.instagram.com/nookta_visualization/

2020-07-23, 09:54:50
Reply #2

Elias2019

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi Ararat,

Thanks for the reply, yeah this problem is annoying indeed! I noticed that while launching IR, even for a simple scene the CPU raises to 85 degrees that's not really normal. For the nodes also, I have exactly same problem while connecting or disconnecting them. I don't have same issue with 3ds Max. I am using standard layout. I wish you inform me of the Maxon feedback on this report, I also wanna report them this issue as well.

In Max I get the clean denoised IR in just few seconds while in C4d it takes ages honestly speaking. I suspended 2 of my projects in C4d exactly because of this issue!

2020-07-23, 12:18:51
Reply #3

NOOKTA

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • www.nookta.de
Hi Elias,

I actually didn't report this to MAXON but the Corona team. MAXON will only tell me that a 3rd party plugin caused the crash. Therefore I hope the Corona guys will find the issue.

Let's see what they come up with. Did you try any of the daily builds? Right now I don't have the time to investigate this issue with dailys..maybe there is a fix already...supposedly they release a new version next week.

Best,
Ararat
www.nookta.de — architectural visualization based in germany
https://www.instagram.com/nookta_visualization/

2020-07-23, 15:55:45
Reply #4

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi!

For crashes, please send the crash report txt just like NOOKA has done (https://help.c4d.corona-renderer.com/support/solutions/articles/12000033461-how-to-report-issues-c4d)

For overheating, it's impossible for Corona to "overheat" a chip - if a chip overheats, it means there's a problem with the cooling. Sure, Corona uses a CPU at 100% and so pushes it harder than most other software, but there's no way it can exceed what the chip is meant to do, and if the chip overheats doing what it's meant to do, that's a hardware question. Also, depends on your CPU as to whether that temperature range is unexpected.

Without the crash report info though, it couldn't be said whether the crash is due to heat issues, or just due to some errors in code that we can fix (which won't change temperatures, mind you :) )
Tom Grimes | chaos-corona.com
Product Manager | contact us

2020-07-23, 16:13:05
Reply #5

burnin

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I also strongly advise to take good care of all your tools.
Regularly clean - vacuum & dust-off your whole machine in detail. Also, once in a while re-apply thermal paste on CPU. If issue still occurs, replace cooling system.

Have a healthy ghost in a healthy shell ;)

2020-07-23, 16:17:06
Reply #6

Elias2019

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi Tom,

Thanks for the attention, problem is that such overheating issue doesn't happen in 3ds Max, but in C4d as soon as the IR starts working, everything goes down, becomes muddy, freezing and finally crash. I will report it through the link you mentioned. Thanks
« Last Edit: 2020-07-23, 17:06:59 by Elias2019 »