Author Topic: fur test  (Read 4760 times)

2016-08-18, 14:41:52

sile

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Sinisa Babic 3D Artist
Hi everybody,

first to say thanks to TomG who replied to my post Fireplace and sent videos about Hair and Fur with Corona.
I decied to go further with Hair and Fur so I did some tests.
Actually I just modified slightly the material for fur, so it is almost the same like in tutorial video.

I am still not satisfied with the fur look, I want strands to look softer. Maybe to increase strands number the next time.
These test I will continue to do,  so your comments are very welcome.

best regards

Sinisa

2016-08-18, 20:06:23
Reply #1

burnin

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Nice form.
Some more work is needed on shading.
Note: lack of gloss/specular/translucency/sss makes it look like cotton or other plant fibers.
All hair has also properties of reflection and translucency. 

2016-08-18, 20:27:18
Reply #2

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Looks good! I see what you mean about wanting it to look softer, they do look slightly on the coarse side at the moment. I think as part of a larger scene it might go unnoticed, but as a test of this specifically, it will be interesting to see your next tests! I'd be interested to see the same set up with modifications to materials only, as well as any other experimentation with geometry that you decide to do!
Tom Grimes | chaos-corona.com
Product Manager | contact us

2016-08-19, 10:14:29
Reply #3

sile

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Sinisa Babic 3D Artist
Thanks a lot for your replies.
My goal here is to try fur in close up. If i put this fur somewhere far from camera it would be perfect. But to reach
realistic look in the close up shot is not that easy. There is already reflection, translucency... of course.
That fur over the armchair I want to be slightly reflective, but nothing more than this here. The fur on the floor should look not shiny at all, although I gave it reflection of course. Probably to try higher reflection but lower glossiness... In the next test I will try that.  Actually I follow exact references, some examples that I collected in preparation stage.

I would appreciate if anybody post their own fur tests, so we could compare and discuss.

many thanks

Sinisa

2016-08-19, 12:48:55
Reply #4

sile

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Sinisa Babic 3D Artist
Here is the one update.
Brown fur has the same hair and fur parameters as before, but it is a bit more shiny.
Translucency is also a bit enhanced. But has effect at the edges only. As we see the light from the back.

Grey fur has a little bit higher reflectionand translucency, but i raised the strands number and lowered down the root radius.
Now I am closer to that soft look. Definitely, there must be more strands to get it soft and smooth. Higher strands density and lower root radius. Tip radius is always 0,0 for both fur objects.

The overall look of the hair depends a lot also on the scene lights, shadows, etc...
The only post work action that i did is a slightly brightness contrast balance with the Curve tool in PS.

best regards

to be continued...

2016-08-19, 16:11:22
Reply #5

sile

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Sinisa Babic 3D Artist
Another update, but this time I used reflection, translucency and AO render elements in Photoshop to enhance these three components.
Result from POST could be a reference how to adjust the material and get it trough the render only.
Maybe :)
Task for the next update.

2016-08-20, 23:02:18
Reply #6

sile

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Sinisa Babic 3D Artist
Update.
The next step should be to comb the fur manually. I have to fix those bald parts at the edge.
But the main thing i did, I wanted to be sure if and how Corona can be used to render fur. In this case Sheepskin carpets and other similar carpets.

I will keep posting updates.

cheers

Sinisa

2016-08-26, 10:36:51
Reply #7

sile

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Sinisa Babic 3D Artist
Some more updates and settings that I used.
http://www.sinisababic.net/blog

2016-08-26, 14:16:54
Reply #8

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Thank you for sharing!
Tom Grimes | chaos-corona.com
Product Manager | contact us