Author Topic: Substance Painter and 1.5 daily  (Read 3349 times)

2016-07-04, 20:46:17

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Been exploring Substance Painter for the first time, with particular reference to the new Glossiness in daily builds for 1.5.

Since this is my first time trying this, wanted to post some findings and get some feedback, advice and comments on what I am doing wrong / could do better. Hoping at some point to know enough about what I am doing to make video tutorials about it, if I can understand it better :)

Glossiness
I started with just the Gold Pure material from the Painter Materials library. The only way I got it to work at present was:
- In TextureSet Settings in Painter, set Roughness to Linear (I used L8)
- Use the Converted Maps Glossiness as the output to the Glossiness file
- Save to EXR. If I saved to PNG (even with an RGB value in the TextureSet Settings rather than Linear) then things were not coming out as expected.

If I did the above, then glossiness seems to map 1 to 1 on export from Painter and import into Max, meaning that as best as I could tell the new Glossiness is indeed working to standard. I used high Fresnel values (not importing Fresnel IOR from Painter at the moment, as not sure how that would work) and all was good for materials with a Roughness in Painter of up to about 0.6 (see images for .2 and .5)

However, as Roughness in Painter gets above about 0.6 or thereabouts, the material begins to render more brightly in Corona than it does in Iray or real-time view in Painter (see images for .8).

To correct for that, the Fresnel IOR value in the Corona Material has to reduce, and a reduction of the Reflection brightness is useful too (as at too low a Fresnel value, the Fresnel effect gets more pronounced in Corona than in the Painter material).

I set this up in a crude form - I took the Glossiness EXR, and set a curve so it remains at 1 until a Painter Roughness of 0.6 was reached, then it begins to drop off. With a Corona Mix I used that to multiply with a Corona Colour, and plugged the result of that into the Fresnel IOR so that the value drops with those values of Roughness from 0.6 to 1.0 in Painter. I did the same with the Metal Colour (going into Reflection Colour).

Is there a better way to do any of this? E.g. is there a way to avoid needing EXRs? Is there some better way to control the Fresnel IOR to avoid the overbright results for high roughness values? Is this related in any way to the topic raised elsewhere regarding unexpected results (when compared to other renderers) from Fresnel IOR?

Thanks!
   Tom
Tom Grimes | chaos-corona.com
Product Manager | contact us

2016-07-04, 22:10:08
Reply #1

dubcat

• Active Users
  • ฅ^•ﻌ•^ฅ meow
    • View Profile
The Corona Profile that ships with Painter is really bad, I would recommend you download the one from this thread https://forum.corona-renderer.com/index.php/topic,11377.0.html

I really hope we can get proper GGX soon (darker diffuse / Fresnel dimming).

Mario Galaxy == Corona

« Last Edit: 2016-07-06, 04:13:01 by dubcat »
             ___
    _] [__|OO|
   (____|___|     https://www.twitch.tv/dubca7 / https://soundcloud.com/dubca7 ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) choo choo

2016-07-05, 15:17:23
Reply #2

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
lol with the Mario Galaxy image, someone should do a Mario model like that ;)

I grabbed that profile for my tests for sure, haven't touched Painter's own as it seemed way off track even before 1.5 - I was wondering how 1.5 changed the process from that thread though, as the GGX curve fix should no longer be necessary, which was what I was experimenting with when I came up with the results above. Seems like it is true that the imported Glossiness is just fine, but that the Fresnel is an issue, at least once Roughness in Painter gets above certain values.

Thanks!
   Tom

2016-07-20, 19:28:25
Reply #3

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
With the changes to the GGX and the PBR mode option, I've been able to get good results (to my eye) in exporting from Painter now, without much in the way of additional set up - I'm still exporting to EXR, and then the only thing I set up is blending between base colour and white using the Metalness export as the map for mixing. The PBR mode removes the extra brightening that was happening that I mentioned earlier.

Still not sure what purpose the Diffuse export from Painter serves, as the colour always seems incorrect, so I just use the base colour for diffuse and reflect channels in the Corona mtl. I do like this "just plug it in and you get the results you expect" though!

If anyone has further advice or comments on Painter to the 1.5 daily, would welcome the input!

Thanks!
   Tom