Author Topic: Daily Builds 1.5  (Read 113181 times)

2016-08-22, 17:11:56
Reply #330

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
While the output doesn't work directly in bump, can get the effect by using it to control a Corona Mix for example.
Tom Grimes | chaos-corona.com
Product Manager | contact us

2016-08-22, 17:16:51
Reply #331

Alexandre Besson

• Active Users
  • http://www.alexandre-besson.com
    • View Profile
    • Alexandre Besson portfolio

To do like this:

2016-08-22, 17:54:54
Reply #332

antanas

• Active Users
  • Hmm ...
    • View Profile
That one is totally awesome, really, when I first saw that a couple of years back, it helped me establish some workflows especially useful for creating some relatively decent looking and fast rendering resource light sea surface shaders\models like these https://www.flickr.com/photos/119850875@N05/28997619996/in/datetaken-public/ , https://www.flickr.com/photos/119850875@N05/28744396360/in/datetaken-public/ , https://www.flickr.com/photos/119850875@N05/28413140483/in/datetaken-public/ using this trick with vrayDistanceTex (it works in Corona, even if listed as incompatible, too btw.) to drive both multilayer materials and vector displacement map generated by PhoenixFd's Oceantex map - a VERY useful trick that one for sure )) Not to mention it can be used for a lot of different things not only for a sea\ocean and it's shores texturing.

2016-08-22, 18:00:01
Reply #333

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Feed the output from Corona Distance through Max's own Gradient Ramp. I attached the result (with some noise in the ramp for interest) into Diffuse and Displace in the examples attached. Hope it helps give some ideas!

2016-08-22, 18:17:44
Reply #334

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Something a bit coastline-y

2016-08-22, 18:35:06
Reply #335

antanas

• Active Users
  • Hmm ...
    • View Profile
 Yep, Distance maps are bread and butter for some more sophisticated shaders and semi procedural models as, apart from material\map mixing, those can be used both for masking areas with displacement and to create those without, with a different one or with the same but weakened one - https://www.flickr.com/photos/119850875@N05/29158816145/in/datetaken-public/ and https://www.flickr.com/photos/119850875@N05/28540050393/in/datetaken-public/ - and in Corona Distance map's case it's even better as it can be used pre render thus it is possible to use it in a displacement (regular non corona's one) modifiers map or even better in some mix with a displacement map akin to manually painted vertex colors as an example, which leads to some really interesting possibilities ))

2016-08-24, 10:41:22
Reply #336

Ludvik Koutny

• VIP
  • Active Users
  • Just another user
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
New IR button could be a lot smaller and lot less distracting. Right now it's a complete punch in the eye when working on some darker and not very colored scenes. Also, could we finally get rid of the pointless text obstructing our renders? I am sure that no one will not know what the window is, if they manually go to through the deep menu to deliberately click a menu entry called "corona interactive". Perspective or camera view name could be now written inside of the new button menu as frozen entry.

Also, the main reason interactive VFB should even have any button is still missing - option to re-tessellate displacement from new viewpoint without re-parsing entire scene from scratch.

And lastly, no one is intuitively going to figure out that "Cutout" means opacity clipping to optimize performance. For example in mental ray, "cutout" is what opacity mapping itself is called, so for any ex-MR user, it will imply that unless that checkbox is checked, whatever map is plugged in there will not be doing what opacity should. More sensible naming would be "clip", "clamp" or something like that.
« Last Edit: 2016-08-24, 10:47:21 by Rawalanche »

2016-08-24, 10:54:23
Reply #337

blank...

• Active Users
    • View Profile
New IR button could be a lot smaller

I think it's just right, not too big not too small, Goldilocks perfect.

2016-08-24, 11:25:25
Reply #338

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models

Agree on IR label, disagree on new button size. Me too as blank... find it perfectly normal size.
Cutout/clip needs treshold spinner as well.
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2016-08-24, 11:28:20
Reply #339

Christa Noel

• Active Users
  • God bless us everyone
    • View Profile
    • dionch.studio
New IR button could be a lot smaller
yes I think smaller button would be nice, I like it.

do you guys notice that noise percentage value is now changed? 4% is the same as about 1%?

2016-08-24, 11:48:10
Reply #340

Ludvik Koutny

• VIP
  • Active Users
  • Just another user
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

No it doesn't. Its entire point is that there can be only white or black. That's where the performance optimization comes from. It's used strictly to prevent any kind of semi-transparency in your material, so you get a nice rays/s boost on things like opacity mapped tree leaves. Any kind of threshold introduction would immediately disable the effect. Non the less, you can always just do it yourself using an output curve. No need to clutter UI with something so incredibly specific.

As for the IR button, think about that it should not be a button you use regularly, it should be touched only in very rare cases. Currently it stands out and obstructs piece of your image. That is never a good thing. Maybe best solution would be to have it only appear if you hover over IR viewport. That would be reasonable compromise.

2016-08-24, 12:07:46
Reply #341

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models

No it doesn't. Its entire point is that there can be only white or black. That's where the performance optimization comes from. It's used strictly to prevent any kind of semi-transparency in your material, so you get a nice rays/s boost on things like opacity mapped tree leaves. Any kind of threshold introduction would immediately disable the effect. Non the less, you can always just do it yourself using an output curve. No need to clutter UI with something so incredibly specific.

Maybe i used wrong terminology, perhaps it should be called bias or something similar. Basically what i mean, it needs controls to shift clamp line from 128, 128, 128 to either direction. Of course it could be done with additional output node, but then again, clamping itself can be achieved with output, so why bother in the first place?
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2016-08-24, 12:17:14
Reply #342

PROH

• Active Users
    • View Profile
+1 for "hovering" instead of button

+ 1 for for renaming "cutout" to "clamp"

... but anyway these are really nice and needed features. Thanks :)

2016-08-24, 13:08:59
Reply #343

Ludvik Koutny

• VIP
  • Active Users
  • Just another user
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Maybe i used wrong terminology, perhaps it should be called bias or something similar. Basically what i mean, it needs controls to shift clamp line from 128, 128, 128 to either direction. Of course it could be done with additional output node, but then again, clamping itself can be achieved with output, so why bother in the first place?

Average users do not know what is benefit of clipping opacity maps, they do not even know why clipping will make opacity faster. They will just have a checkbox which they know if they turn on, will speed up their rendering, but makes leaves noisier in case of animation. So even noobs can then apply it, by using following reasoning: "Is this material for example tree leaves? Yes? Will I animate the scene? No? Great, I can turn this on and speed up my render!"

I can't think of any reason where you would want to shift clamp line in terms of optimization. Most of the average leaf opacity maps will look nearly the same no matter where you shift the clamp line. This is not for artistic control, if you need to shift clamping level for some artistic effect, then either mix map mix curve, or output rollout are your place to go. In material itself, this is as an optimization tool, not as an artistic control tool. Obviously, you won't be using it opacity maps that have large gradients in them.

Right now, if an user sees clamp, and is explained that enabling it in non animated scenes can give speed boost, then it's really easy to understand. But if you see a checkbox that enables some threshold value, which then gives very complex explanation about what's happening inside and how the threshold affects it, it may imply to new users that it's not just click->speedup solution, but that you need to somehow tweak that optimization using this value to get ideal results. That could put many people off and simply make them ignore the thing ;)

Another thing is that they could easily misunderstand and misinterpret the explanation, and that could in turn increase room for error. For example, one could think "I want to optimize ALL of my map, entire range, so I will set threshold all the way to 1" Efficiently making opacity opaque, and turning leaves into poly squares. Or other way around.

It's really easy to request things that suit your worfklow... but I personally always cross-check them with "How would this appear to a person that is completely new to 3D rendering".

2016-08-25, 21:29:59
Reply #344

SaY

• Active Users
    • View Profile
"Pre-run 3ds Max" - will this be included in the daily build? Can't wait to have this implemented.
With Vray DR simple scenes are starting almost instantly on the render nodes. With Corona we have to wait for Max to load.