Author Topic: Daily Builds 1.5  (Read 111263 times)

2016-06-28, 03:39:23
Reply #75

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
I see...so the glossiness now goes to 'true' 0, but it doesn't affect the specular intensity in any kind of way it seems, just like currently.

Seems super off.
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2016-06-28, 08:30:49
Reply #76

snakebox

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Snakebox Media
How do I uninstall the latest daily build? and go back to 1.4?  or any previous daily builds for that sake.

I have tried to manually delete it all but I keep getting this error:

An internal error occured: wxWidgets Assertion failure. Please report this problem to us.
File: ..\..\src\common\intl.cpp(1607)
Function: wxLocale::GetInfo
Condition: strcmp(setlocale(0, 0), "C") == 0
Message: You probably called setlocale() directly instead of using wxLocale and now there is a mismatch between C/C++ and Windows locale.
Things are going to break, please only change locale by creating wxLocale objects to avoid this!

When I try to render with anything but the very latest daily build (new glossiness build)

:/ 

2016-06-28, 08:36:09
Reply #77

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
Just run 1.4 installer and it will overwrite all needed files. If you want to revert to some prvious daily build, then use same the procedure that you used to install current DB.
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2016-06-28, 08:39:21
Reply #78

snakebox

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Snakebox Media
Just run 1.4 installer and it will overwrite all needed files. If you want to revert to some prvious daily build, then use same the procedure that you used to install current DB.

As I just said.. this does not work.  I get the above error.   Something changed in the very latest daily build, compared to previous builds.  If Just install 1.4 I get the error, if I re-copy the daily build on top, everything works (except for some really odd glossiness results)

2016-06-28, 08:47:04
Reply #79

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My Models
When installing 1.4, make sure to check "clear previous version". That should work.
I just reverted from DB 06-27 to DB 06-20 and didn't encounter any issues.

2016-06-28, 09:02:18
Reply #80

snakebox

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Snakebox Media
When installing 1.4, make sure to check "clear previous version". That should work.
I just reverted from DB 06-27 to DB 06-20 and didn't encounter any issues.

Interesting... the daily from the 20th does work!!! 12th gives me that error, and official 1.4 too.   

2016-06-28, 09:49:49
Reply #81

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
yep, that problem was fixed in the 20 daily build
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2016-06-28, 13:38:12
Reply #82

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
can you make more specific reports about the old scene conversion problems? The glossiness value should be remapped automatically
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2016-06-28, 17:22:03
Reply #83

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Just a random comparison.
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2016-06-28, 17:34:13
Reply #84

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My Models
Talking about comparisons. Here's old vs new glossiness. I will not make any comments as i have yet to see how it behaves in real scenes.

2016-06-28, 17:43:17
Reply #85

PROH

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hmmmm..... I have yet to see just 1 example where the "new" version looks convincing...

2016-06-28, 18:47:46
Reply #86

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Just a random comparison.

Since this is metallic (specular only) comparison, it doesn't really say much. It just shows the full range.

The issue is with how specular intensity is blended on top of diffuse component. The fresnel behaves oddly, the rim lighting effects shows this well.

I don't know if all the other (Corona is now the single exception on market that looks like this) renderers dim specular intensity only or actually modify the fresnel effect as well as glossiness changes,  but it shouldn't look like this.
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models

2016-06-28, 19:35:27
Reply #87

dubcat

• Active Users
  • ฅ^•ﻌ•^ฅ meow
    • View Profile
From the RenderMan manual
Roughness
Lambertian response is obtained by setting roughness to 0.0.
Increasing roughness produces a flatter-look and is implemented via the Oren-Nayar model.
Surface roughness, controls both diffuse and specular response.

I guess "Oren-Nayar" is what me and Juraj would love to see in Corona. Because right now 0 Glossiness looks more like the Lambertian Model in the picture above.
« Last Edit: 2016-06-28, 22:03:03 by dubcat »
             ___
    _] [__|OO|
   (____|___|     https://www.twitch.tv/dubca7 / https://soundcloud.com/dubca7 ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) choo choo

2016-06-28, 21:24:34
Reply #88

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Is it that simple ? Everything else uses either simplified (Unreal4) or more complex version of GGX (Vray's GTR) and looks right. Octane uses some arbitrary crap, and still looks rather correct (but I see it can't do fully rough either).

This probably doesn't have anything to do with the shading BRDF but with how Corona uses the Fresnel. I've seen renderers that with simple Blinn and Schlick approximation produce correct specular brightness with rough materials.
There really is something completely else behind this.

Here is former incorrect Fresnel in Cycles Renderer and corrected. Look at the difference, this is exactly what is Corona doing. Of course, the gamma control for specular lobe spread (GTR in Vray) is also nice...but, at least the correct dimming would be first step.

Wrong:

Correct

Source : https://www.blender.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=27455

The Oren-Nayar vs Lambertian is just something that (diffuse) fresnel roughness solves, I think it's completely different, detached issue. Vray has this parameter but I think nobody ever used it except for some moon render :- ).
Surprisingly the popular alSurface Shader also has it, but it has the abominable programmer controls that are something halfway between specular and PBR convention. Like Redshift...I hate those...

Here is how roughness looks in current (2015+) Disney shader. (Extended Disney principled PBR shader // http://blog.selfshadow.com/publications/s2015-shading-course/burley/s2015_pbs_disney_bsdf_slides.pdf  & http://blog.selfshadow.com/publications/s2012-shading-course/burley/s2012_pbs_disney_brdf_notes_v3.pdf   both of these are must read)
No crazy rim effect. This shader is such a thing of beauty. So much want. Sheen, retro-grazing reflection, artist controls... double specular lobe as default (gamma 1 and 2, see Vray ? It can be done artist-friendly too).

« Last Edit: 2016-06-28, 22:45:53 by Juraj_Talcik »

2016-06-29, 03:16:41
Reply #89

Javadevil

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Here's Fstorms, I don't know if this comparison is any help, I'm not too sure on your lighting setup.

I do love Disney's Shader, I see someone is making one for blender/Cycles, it looks promising.

EDIT: just saw an new build with the Glossie Fix.