Author Topic: UV bitmap tiling  (Read 21369 times)

2019-08-28, 23:08:42

fedestampini

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi i've just switched to corona and I'm facing some limitation or it's just me non findg what i am looking for.
Im having an hard time tiling different bitmaps applied in the same material.
simple example concrete with splotches into an object with UV coordinates (important note)
Tipically we would have into one layer the concrete bitmap on top the splotches bitmap with some blending mode, lets say that i want to scale the splotches 3 time smaller compared to the concrete bitmap so i will put this last bitmap into a projector shader set to UVW and set the tiling to 3. everything works great
lets say now that i want to use the same material into and object that doesnt have the UV coordinates so i set the material to cubic projection, unfortunatelly the splotches bitmap inside the projection remain set to uvw and do not work properly.

i think we need a dedicated shader that is able to ''scale'' texture without forcing a projection mode, it could be directly integrated in the corona bitmap shader, kind of like the vray advanced bitmap where you can control the tiling of each bitmap without taking care of the projection.

nb: triplanar is not a solution since it would messed up the concrete projection in the object that has UV coordinates.

2019-08-29, 09:28:46
Reply #1

Nejc Kilar

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My personal website
One of the major limitations of working with Cinema 4D in general imho. Corona being 3rd party also obviously has some limitations ...

Here is what I currently do:
- Layer shader + Transform command right above the bitmap / in the same folder (probably the best option for what you are doing)
- Projector shader, if it works
- Material Mixing in the Object Manager

If I may bring out a Octane comparison, they've solved this C4D limitation nicely by giving you separate transform and projection nodes to work with. You can plug them into whatever map you'd like and off you go. Its sort of like how 3ds Max does it natively.

I do get why it probably hasn't been a priority for the Corona devs but it would be extremely useful to have it "solved" one way or another. It is super duper important if you are doing any kind of arch-viz really. That being said, R20 has a node similar to what Octane has and R21 just opened up the node SDK... ;)
Nejc Kilar | chaos-corona.com
Educational Content Creator | contact us

2019-08-29, 22:36:42
Reply #2

fedestampini

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Unfortunately projection shader is the cause of the problem, I’m not at the pc right now but I will check the transform tab.
Also Vray has a tab for uv tiling inside the bitmap shader, kind of like native 3ds max nativelly does as you said.
I think it should be pretty easy integrate that into the corona bitmap shader.
I found it extremely important for archiviz.

Hope this get some attention from the dev team.

2019-09-21, 08:19:00
Reply #3

arte

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I agree. Tiling the texture in the material in the form of a knot is a must!

2019-09-23, 14:15:17
Reply #4

fedestampini

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I agree. Tiling the texture in the material in the form of a knot is a must!

Hi arte, please check this post and tell me what do you think regarding this possible solution.
thank you

2019-10-16, 03:14:50
Reply #5

edub

• Active Users
    • View Profile
+1 to the OP