Author Topic: cjwidd render thread  (Read 60773 times)

2020-12-04, 18:56:08
Reply #150

wilbertvandenbroek

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Yess that is awesome, I'll have a look at it right after the weekend.

2020-12-06, 09:21:06
Reply #151

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
How is the memory usage with Ornatrix?

Hair&Fur gets brutal consumption and prepass computation at what I consider pathetically low amount of fibers.

On other hand, I still have no idea how to scatter (with CoronaScatter) renderable splines that stay as "hair" and not tiny meshes(tubes/planes). I want to use Hair primitives, but with scatter so I can get billions of fibers.
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2020-12-06, 10:29:31
Reply #152

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
I want to use Hair primitives, but with scatter so I can get billions of fibers.

That could be nice feature for Corona scatter if it could take splines as input and give hair primitives as output. A nice alternative to Vray fur.
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2020-12-06, 12:36:13
Reply #153

cjwidd

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Artstation
Speaking of scattering... testing snow / ice with TyFlow

« Last Edit: 2020-12-08, 00:07:51 by cjwidd »

2020-12-06, 13:41:49
Reply #154

marchik

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Speaking of scattering... testing snow / ice with TyFlow
very nice! can we take a look at your tyflow setup? :D

2020-12-07, 11:20:37
Reply #155

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Yes, don't show off, show us :- )
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2020-12-07, 11:57:01
Reply #156

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
First two and last two examples are particularly nice!
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2020-12-07, 22:34:23
Reply #157

cjwidd

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Artstation
I originally posted the project files to the TyFlow Facebook group where it was publicly available for a time; some users might still have the files. I was hoping to improve the effect, clean-up the project files, and re-upload, but I wanted to get some feedback from the forum before I make further changes.

'crystal_growth_v4 - testing mats' and 'crystal_growth_v5' (I think) are the most recent versions of the effect and use displacement instead of raw geo. In general this version is a lot easier to work with, but I also, personally, think the effect looks the best of the iterations posted above.

'crystal_growth_v2' and 'crystal_growth_v4' basically do a scattering operation on a blobmesh, but the implementation is pretty clumsy and requires a ton of scattered geo to get a "convincing" look of snow / ice; a blobmesh is generated on the surface of a target mesh based on a raycast routine, and then snowflake geo grows (scatters directionally) on the blobmesh. Not sure if it is possible to incorporate Ornatrix into that technique, but could improve memory performance.

« Last Edit: 2020-12-07, 23:38:30 by cjwidd »

2020-12-08, 00:25:47
Reply #158

cjwidd

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Artstation

I haven't received any "System is running low on RAM" error messages while using Ornatrix so far, just doing basic scattering for fabrics. Is there a more explicit way to monitor memory consumption in Max / Corona Renderer, besides the Windows task manager?
« Last Edit: 2020-12-08, 01:27:48 by cjwidd »

2020-12-08, 08:03:57
Reply #159

wilbertvandenbroek

• Active Users
    • View Profile

I haven't received any "System is running low on RAM" error messages while using Ornatrix so far, just doing basic scattering for fabrics. Is there a more explicit way to monitor memory consumption in Max / Corona Renderer, besides the Windows task manager?

With the new version I didn't have any ram issues neither. However it is far less stable then V6, also V7 screws op most of the V6 files I created.

2020-12-08, 08:36:53
Reply #160

cjwidd

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Artstation
^ugh, yikes. Hopefully that type of backwards compatibility issue will not persist in future versions. Happy that Corona Renderer supports Ornatrix though, that helps a lot.

2020-12-10, 15:10:05
Reply #161

wilbertvandenbroek

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hair / Fur with Ornatrix is super easy, but remember that hair / fur is scale dependent so be cognizant of the Xform of the object being groomed etc.

Ornatrix and hair / fur grooming, in general, requires some experimentation to get the right look for the asset. I've attached the groom for the sweater here (see attached).

There seems to be something wrong with the importing of your xgroom. All modifiers are created but almost every value is zeroed out. Length of the hair, curling etc.
Any idea what may cause this? I'm using the latest version 7.
Also how did you create such a high quality clothing mesh. The details without the hair are also great.

2020-12-10, 21:13:29
Reply #162

cjwidd

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Artstation
There seems to be something wrong with the importing of your xgroom. All modifiers are created but almost every value is zeroed out. Length of the hair, curling etc.

Not sure about this issue :/

Also how did you create such a high quality clothing mesh. The details without the hair are also great.

The sweater model and textures are from Friendly Shade, although it wouldn't be all that difficult to prepare a similar model in Marvelous Designer, if you are so inclined.

2020-12-15, 09:29:53
Reply #163

cjwidd

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Artstation
Art test, 2019 (lighting / shading)
Copyright Dell Technologies (model)
*non-commercial, non-affiliated
*clay model was provided by the studio for an art test, I was asked to light and texture the asset based on reference images.

« Last Edit: 2020-12-15, 23:53:44 by cjwidd »

2020-12-16, 12:39:44
Reply #164

cjwidd

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Artstation
Chair
3ds Max | Marvelous Designer | Ornatrix | Substance Painter | Corona Renderer
*updated (2021)

« Last Edit: 2021-12-02, 21:05:15 by cjwidd »