Author Topic: Displacement edges  (Read 2842 times)

2018-06-08, 14:01:29

Aldoren

• Active Users
    • View Profile
So, why do i get theese jagged edges along the boards when i use displacement. I am not refering to the box being broken, but that the pattern itself gets jagged along the boards.

I've used other engines where this does not occure so i am wondering if there is something that can be done or i am doing wrong?

The displacment is just white with a black line, so no artifacts or such in the map itself.

Thanks

2018-06-08, 14:10:24
Reply #1

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
I think it's because Corona use triangulation and not quad based tesselation for displacement subdivision.A surface needs to be subdivided in to very small triangles so those artifacts would become imperceptible. Try to lower displacement screen size if your RAM permits.

Curious to know what other render engines gives you significantly better displacement subdivision?
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2018-06-08, 14:17:06
Reply #2

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Try blurring the displacement map just a tiny bit. That should create a smooth gradient, and the jaggies should go away.
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2018-06-08, 14:51:46
Reply #3

Aldoren

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Well, the real issue is when i move the camera further away. Then the jagged edges becomes even worse, almost silly :P  I tried blurring the edges and while it helped some, i did not do the job at all.

Fstorm is the engine where i got satisfying results.

2018-06-08, 16:26:06
Reply #4

sprayer

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Decrease screen size value for better result like romullus said. This will help.

Can you compare Ram usage in corona and fstorm videoRam with displacment?

Default settings was made for optimization, because with 1.0px this how mesh will looks

You may use floor generator plugin instead displacement

2018-06-11, 08:23:11
Reply #5

Aldoren

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thank you for the answers. Yes, this was ofcourse what i needed :)