Author Topic: displacement  (Read 2337 times)

2013-12-06, 18:07:17

klipanos

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I would be a good idea to be inserted in the material editor the displacement.
Also a preview of the materials edited on to the screen to have control on the scene.
Thank you!!!!

2014-01-05, 02:44:18
Reply #1

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
not including displacement in material editor was a design decision, for several reasons:
- displacement is slow and unsuitable for interactive preview
- displaced object can easily get out of the fixed view
Other renderers do not do it probably for the same reasons, so I'm not planning on including it
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2014-01-24, 20:40:18
Reply #2

Utroll

• Active Users
    • View Profile
not including displacement in material editor was a design decision, for several reasons:
- displacement is slow and unsuitable for interactive preview
- displaced object can easily get out of the fixed view
Other renderers do not do it probably for the same reasons, so I'm not planning on including it

Maxwell or Vray does display disp. in preview or .. I think so.

True that the processor is stressed but may be you could add a button : preview render with displacement (right click menu or material panel) so it's not running all the time but on demand only. Or display it as a bump. Should not take too much perf. and that would greatly help scaling and placement of map. A fixed small disp value for previewing would avoid out of frame... it's more about previewing than modelling, people might figure from their real displacement parameter how far it would go on render no need to represent accuratly distances in preview.
Imho.