Author Topic: Cube Map 360 - Flipped Image  (Read 1907 times)

2019-01-31, 14:19:28

squeakybadger

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi,

When using the Cube Map 360 setting in the CoronaCamera, the rendered image is flipped horizontally.

If I set the camera back to Spherical360 or Cylinder360 and it renders everything in its correct place.

I can add a Mirror modifier onto the camera, and it flips it back the correct way.

Any idea why this is happening?

Using Corona3 Hotfix1

Thanks.

2019-01-31, 15:29:04
Reply #1

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi!

Hmm yes, I can confirm that here (in 3ds Max... though you didn't say if that was what you were using :) ). Sounds like a bug to me but I'll check if there's some reason for this, ty!
Tom Grimes | chaos-corona.com
Product Manager | contact us

2019-01-31, 15:30:32
Reply #2

squeakybadger

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi Tom, Yes it's 3dsmax 2018

2019-01-31, 15:37:09
Reply #3

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Ok, checked and it is not a bug. Turns out that (like so many things in 3D), there is no actual standard for what a cubemap should look like. Some viewers want mirrored, some don't, so we had to pick one. We've gone for the one that is as common in viewers as the alternative, and it also matches our sister engine, V-Ray. While it may look odd when viewed in Photoshop (or the VFB), it will be fine when in a viewer that expects that (and ultimately, in the viewer is when it counts) - but since there's no standard, not all viewers will want that, and you'll need to mirror it if it so happens you are delivering for a viewer that doesn't want mirroring.

Cheers!
Tom Grimes | chaos-corona.com
Product Manager | contact us

2020-10-30, 12:55:40
Reply #4

j_man

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Minmud
Hello,

I know this is an old topic however, I think it needs a little more discussion. You're right, there are many different ways to format cubemaps. Do you think that we could have an option to choose the format to suit the next software in our pipeline?

Thanks,

J.