Author Topic: Improved Sun & Sky model playground!  (Read 37925 times)

2020-06-03, 20:59:58
Reply #75

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
I don't think that turbidity has anything to do with clouds. AFAIK it represents polution of the atmosphere. If you want to simulate cloudy lighting condition, you can decrease sun's intensity and/or increase its size to get softer, less pronounced shadows.
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2020-06-03, 21:41:17
Reply #76

PROH

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I find that high turbidity settings gives less pronounced shadows + a more "bluish" tone. But we are talking 8 and higher. I often set this to 8,5 or 9,5 giving a more overcast feeling.

And yes it's correct that this can't be done with the new improved sky ATM.

2020-06-04, 00:12:16
Reply #77

Jpjapers

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I find that high turbidity settings gives less pronounced shadows + a more "bluish" tone. But we are talking 8 and higher. I often set this to 8,5 or 9,5 giving a more overcast feeling.

I use the same method, turbidity between 6 and 10 to vary different levels of overcastyness. Sometimes at 10 with no direct sun for those scandinavian AF looks.

2020-06-04, 09:42:17
Reply #78

marchik

• Active Users
    • View Profile

I use the same method, turbidity between 6 and 10 to vary different levels of overcastyness. Sometimes at 10 with no direct sun for those scandinavian AF looks.
yes, this is exactly my approach, I hope this can be reached in V6 somehow)

2020-06-09, 13:48:25
Reply #79

Dalton Watts

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Any of you guys noticed an increase in rendertime between the new sky and the old one?

2020-06-09, 15:07:51
Reply #80

rowmanns

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Corona for 3ds Max QA Team
    • View Profile
Any of you guys noticed an increase in rendertime between the new sky and the old one?

Hi,

Can you provide a scene where this is the case? And we will look into and see if anything can be done.

Thanks,

Rowan
Please read this before reporting bugs: How to report issues to us!
Send me your scene!

2020-06-09, 15:52:18
Reply #81

Dalton Watts

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi Rowan!

I will try to do some testing today. A few days ago it "seemed" there was an increase in render times but I can't confirm before proper testing.

2020-06-09, 17:16:57
Reply #82

Dalton Watts

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Ok, done very few tests and it seems render times stay the same if turbidity is set to the default 2.5 (i guess that is the default value, right?). Preetham was about 1% faster which is irrelevant in this case.

I must say though that the new sky seems to have a much warmer and pleasant tone that Hosek or Preetham. Is there any special reason why it is that way?

Hosek:

Preetham:

New Improved:

2020-06-09, 17:27:25
Reply #83

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Well, the special reason is just that was the thing with the previous sky calculations, they were not always the nicest (Hosek seems to be slightly greenish if I remember rightly). So, that's just one of the things different about the new system - it's not just about when the sun goes below the horizon, it's just better in general for all times of day :)
Tom Grimes | chaos-corona.com
Product Manager | contact us

2020-06-09, 17:32:14
Reply #84

Dalton Watts

• Active Users
    • View Profile
That's right Tom. All tests above were done without using the sun and the warmer tone is still very visible. No more messing around with turbidity to get that look ;-)

2020-06-09, 17:33:55
Reply #85

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
One of the reasons for making the change to the new calculations :)

2020-06-16, 01:13:35
Reply #86

Dionysios.TS

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Evolvia Imaging
Hi!

I don't know if I am missing something...
You lately speak about turbidity but in my case when I use the new and improved Sky model, the turbidity value is grayed out.
I thought was something we will get again in the near future.

Last daily build is installed here.

Thanks,

Dionysios -

2020-06-16, 13:26:48
Reply #87

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
The plan is that it will be added again, but there was never a timescale mentioned - e.g. not for Corona 6 as far as I know.

2020-07-10, 16:52:20
Reply #88

Correntes

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • PRESSRENDER
The plan is that it will be added again, but there was never a timescale mentioned - e.g. not for Corona 6 as far as I know.

So until then the only option is to use corona color correct texmap ?

2020-08-22, 12:22:42
Reply #89

Rhodesy

• Active Users
    • View Profile
The new sky feels quite pale to me. Will the turbidity allow for a richer blue? Im currently switching between a clear blue pg skies hdri and the corona sun/sky and the latter is much more washed out and creates a flatter image out of the box without additional tone mapping. Good idea to use the colour correct node, does that effect performance?