Author Topic: Teamrender and RAM  (Read 2251 times)

2018-07-30, 11:51:46

hughannes

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I feel like this might have been answered before but a forum search wasn't successful.

When Teamrendering, do the clients need as much memory as the server? If not, how much less do the clients need?
We have to upgrade since we're constantly running out of memory. Our hope is to only have to upgrade one machine, since most of our renders are via teamrendering.

Many thanx in advance!

2018-07-30, 12:16:13
Reply #1

Barendby

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I am also very keen to know!

My main machine have 64g and my slaves 32.
I can use teamrender on low res images but it always crash out on 5000 pixel images.
I just assumed it run out of RAM.

2018-07-30, 15:43:42
Reply #2

Vlad_the_rant

• Former Corona Team Member
  • Active Users
  • Vladimir
    • View Profile
Each Corona render node loads the scene separately and renders it separately so all the render nodes must have sufficient RAM to fit the scene. If a scene on the main computer you're starting the distributed rendering from takes up 40Gb of RAM out of the available 64 Gb on that machine, it will take up just as much on the nodes.
So if a node has only 32 Gb of RAM, that node will have memory related problems with that scene (since rendering will still try to use 40 Gb on that machine).

There is no set rule of "how much more/less RAM you can have on a node" because it depends on the scene. The more RAM the better in any case, especially for large scenes.

2018-07-30, 17:41:54
Reply #3

hughannes

• Active Users
    • View Profile
bummer.
but thank you very much for the quick reply.

2018-07-30, 17:48:50
Reply #4

Vlad_the_rant

• Active Users
  • Vladimir
    • View Profile
You're welcome. If you have any more questions, don't hesitate to ask.

2018-07-30, 18:26:18
Reply #5

Barendby

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Each Corona render node loads the scene separately and renders it separately so all the render nodes must have sufficient RAM to fit the scene. If a scene on the main computer you're starting the distributed rendering from takes up 40Gb of RAM out of the available 64 Gb on that machine, it will take up just as much on the nodes.
So if a node has only 32 Gb of RAM, that node will have memory related problems with that scene (since rendering will still try to use 40 Gb on that machine).

There is no set rule of "how much more/less RAM you can have on a node" because it depends on the scene. The more RAM the better in any case, especially for large scenes.

I thought something like this, thanks.
But if I open the scene on a slave with less ram it renders, it only crashes when I use teamrender. Does the master machine use more ram with teamrender?

2018-07-30, 21:08:18
Reply #6

Vlad_the_rant

• Active Users
  • Vladimir
    • View Profile
To be honest, I'm not intimately familiar with Teamrender but if it's an additional piece of software it could very well be using some RAM over what Corona uses for rendering.