Author Topic: Setting in .conf or .scn file for using smoothed mesh?  (Read 11550 times)

2013-05-31, 23:06:27

ohsnapitsjoel

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi all, I'm curious whether there's a setting that I've missed in the docs about rendering smoothed meshes.  I was hoping to find something I could work backward from, but since the objects in the /example/export.scn are all faceted, I didn't find the answer I was looking for.

Is there a bool setting somewhere in the .scn or .conf files to enable per-.obj smoothing or something?

2013-05-31, 23:12:29
Reply #1

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
The example mesh is probably just exported that way (it is needed to get absolutely correct results for example to compare PT vs. BDPT error). The standalone application  just takes the normals in the input file.

There is one parameter, max normal difference, that when set to its minimum value efficiently disables shading normals.
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2013-05-31, 23:20:27
Reply #2

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Here is the cbox exported with shading normals: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/5426917/%21Corona.zip

You will probably need new version of the standalone application, get it here in the standalone folder: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/kgzu0cqy903ygmb/08v9Ehdplt
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2013-05-31, 23:53:54
Reply #3

ohsnapitsjoel

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Oh, fantastic, that new cornell box scene works.  So this was just an issue with the .obj's shading normals not being exported?  I'll have to remember that when writing an exporter! :)

2013-06-01, 00:01:13
Reply #4

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
No, it was deliberately set to not export shading normals in 3dsmax Corona mesh export. I have my test scenes set up this way so that bidirectional and unidirectional methods converge to the same solution. It is nothing you have to deal with.

2013-06-01, 01:43:50
Reply #5

ohsnapitsjoel

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Cool.  By 'issue' I meant 'situation.' Misleading wording, my bad :)